FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New South BBQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 06 06 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Dawg, follow the dream. Might as well, best wishes to you!! Smile

GIANT BBQ
BBQ Nut
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 06 06 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing some Dawg sauce in the stores around town. Good luck Dawg!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 07 06 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hi there dawg. Already sent you a PM on this topic, guess you didnt get it!

Alien has a good point on the south tie-in.

I had also mentioned labeling as being more than a little bit important. Labels will often make or break the sale, unless people actually know how good the sauce is (and I trust it is good! Very Happy ) You may want to have a pro "spice" up the label, full color and the like. You will also need a UPC code for each type of sauce being produced if you expect to have a local (or national) grocer pick up your product line.

My friends at Instant Gourmet Seasonings had their labels re-worked (at considerable expense) after the fact. They now have thier products in Super Targets and other grocers. The UPC were a big issue as well, especially since they have about a dozen different products.,

The designers at L&N Label do a great job, for considerably less money than $500.00. The artwork is done in a four layer color format, ready to go to the printer of your choice. They obviousy can produce great looking labels as well. Samples of thier work can be found at www.yourhotsaucecompany.com or www.lnlabel.com They also did my banners and full color brochures at a great price!

It is obvious that your web site is under contruction. You may want to ad the price of the sauce on the description page. As it is now, nobody knows how much the sauce is until they go to the secure check out page!

Good luck with your new venture. When do we get the free samples?! Wink

P.S. Nice byline with your sig. Wink
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 10 06 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you in the selling phase yet? How is it working out for you. I hope you do well.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 11 06 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3970010 wrote:
So, are you in the selling phase yet? How is it working out for you. I hope you do well.

Not really...we are still waiting on the NDAs from the lawyer to send to the co-packer...also I know all about the label and what not and will be working with a company that designs food labels for the co-packer to create my labels...they are a company out of florida so they may very well be the same company...
Reflect
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 11 06 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UPC code for each type of sauce

Man, this hits the pocket book hard. Going from memory they wanted $800 us yearly for the privelage of having the UPC code block assinged to your company.

Take care,

Brian
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31 06 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bugmenot.com

this is still helpful.

Last edited by DawgPhan on Fri Sep 01 06 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31 06 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...excellent!!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31 06 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome my man! Great article, hope it helps your business! Very Happy
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 06 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool Dawg................
Molson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 06 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Too bad about the Thompson/Tucker typo though.
Smokin Tiger
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this info may be a little old for you but hopefully it will help you or others out. Barcodes are issued by what used to be called the Uniform Code Council out of Dayton, OH. They go under a weird name now. Here is their link: http://www.uc-council.org/ In the bottom left, there is a link to how to go about getting your UPC number. You are assigned the frist 5 digits. You assign the next five digits, the first number on the far left is a "category" number. Weighed products have a different than pharmaceutical have different than....... The last number is called a check digit. It is a mathematical computation of the first numbers. Software automatically generates it. A reputable printer/design company can automatically generate your barcode if you give them the first five digits and the next five that you come up with.

As far as labels are concerned. A lot of printers will also help you with a design. The cost is figured in many different ways. Some will give you a flat cost. Some figure it into the cost of the labels (which you will pay time and time again if it is done this way) and some will give you a flat art/plate charge to cover this costs. Labels are printed by what is called the flexographic printing method. Stay away from "flat sheet" printers. Labels will be supplied on the roll. If they are automatically applied there will need to be space between each labe. Generally you will want what is called an RCR (round cornered rectangle). Square corners tend to left and peel more easily. Let the printer know what type of bottle you are using, the temp that the bottle is going to be when the label is applied and such. In most cases you will want to us a "freezer grade" adhesive. Not that your product will be frozen, but it handles condensation and such much better. Also tends not to wrinkle as much.

Generally if you have many different types of sauces, it is best to order the labels at one time. Most printers will combine the quantities and give you a price break by just adding copy and color change charges. Also adding a UV clearcoat makes a label look really sharp without adding much if any cost (depending on how the printer costs out jobs)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an e-mail at craig@reccointernational.com. Even though I manage a printing company, I am not here to solicit business. I have the hobby of bbqing just like you guys and am willing to help you out as much as possible. If you want to look at doing business, it will be at your request, otherwise I will just answer your questions and offer advice.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflect wrote:
Quote:
UPC code for each type of sauce

Man, this hits the pocket book hard. Going from memory they wanted $800 us yearly for the privelage of having the UPC code block assinged to your company.

Take care,

Brian

That's a real ripoff. My label company assigned my UPCs (for bottle, case, and pallet) for free.

You can buy a block of a hundred UPC codes for $800.

I'm going through the process of learning this business (manufacturing sauces) myself (my products are currently at the factory) and my biggest obstacle has been getting the ingredients (mango) at a price that allows for a profit margin.
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05 06 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone cares... Barcode design is getting an overhaul and are now appearing on various items throughout the US and Japan.
http://web-japan.org/trends/business/bus061110.html

The better examples can be found here:
http://www.barcoderevolution.com/gallery/index.php?c=all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: