FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ribs - Belgium Style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinobe

PostPosted: Wed May 03 06 10:06 pm    Post subject: Ribs - Belgium Style Reply with quote

It's not because I'm new to smoking food, that I'm new to grilling food Wink

Here are some pics of Marinated Pork ribs we grilled and sold on a christmas market. Yes, you read that correct: Christmas market.

People asked us if we were mad, but it turned out to be a great success.
On the market in 2004 we grilled and sold about 60 pounds of ribs. In 2005 we grilled and sold more than 130 pounds of pork ribs.

Some background info; in the little village (5000 inhabitants) where I live every organisation (youth movements, theater organisations, ...) comes out with christmas and they sell (mostly) food at very democratic prices, and so did we...

The recipe is very simple: marinated pork ribs on the grill served with a slice of "Focaccia bread" and a "Leffe" (belgian beer) Wink
Unfortunately I don't know the exact recipe for the marinade.

Some pics:

That's not me

Some people enjoying the ribs

wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 04 06 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look pretty good.....and you even have proof you are doing SOMETHING right, all those people who want to eat them.

Good job!
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 04 06 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm! Smile
Ribs and Belgian Beer, Life is GOOOOD!!!

Thanks for the pics.

Weldon
BBQ Nut
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 04 06 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Dino! I say we get on a plane, go to Belgium, help Dino with his smoker, and drink lots of Belgium beer. Very Happy
Dinobe

PostPosted: Thu May 04 06 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

If you are in the country, just gimme a call and we'll have some beers Wink
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 04 06 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be wonderful to live in a country that would allow you to sell ribs and beers on the street as you have. Here in Canada I would have to precook the ribs in a certified kitchen, freeze then and then I could thaw and reheat the ribs on the street. I also too would not be able to get a private beer permit without cutting off an arm and leg. The area would have to be enclosed so children would not sneak in and become alcoholics, also have some sort of barrier so those that would be offended by seeing some one drink a beer dont see the sinners caught up in their thing....

You got it made there Dinobe, good food, good beer and beautiful women... and great beer.

Hey, does your parents want to addopt a mature son..?? Wink
LIAR #100
Dinobe

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It must be wonderful to live in a country that would allow you to sell ribs and beers on the street as you have. Here in Canada I would have to precook the ribs in a certified kitchen, freeze then and then I could thaw and reheat the ribs on the street. I also too would not be able to get a private beer permit without cutting off an arm and leg. The area would have to be enclosed so children would not sneak in and become alcoholics, also have some sort of barrier so those that would be offended by seeing some one drink a beer dont see the sinners caught up in their thing....

Woowzaa! Are you serious about this? Confused Confused

Quote:
Here in Canada I would have to precook the ribs in a certified kitchen, freeze then and then I could thaw and reheat the ribs on the street.

Yes we can grill them from raw to ready on the street. We do have food inspection and there are some basic rules we have to take care about.
First of all preserving food (must be at the correct temperature), grilling food must be correct (temperature), store it in suitable containers, ...

I think these 'rules' are very logic and have never caused any problems.
We've been doing it for 3 years now (the 1st year we didn't sell ribs) and we never had control. Alltought other organisations got control. It seems to be a lot more relax than in Canada.

Quote:
I also too would not be able to get a private beer permit without cutting off an arm and leg.

As it are only organisations being there it's perfectly allowed without any permit. We can organise parties and sell beer without any control. Only for strong liquor (Wodka, Whiskey, and cocktails based on this) you need a special permit. It costs a little money (18 I believe) and the mayor and head of the local police must approve it. That's normally no problem, but it takes some paperwork to get it done.

Quote:
The area would have to be enclosed so children would not sneak in and become alcoholics

Strictly taken it's not allowed to sell low alcohol beverages (beer, wine, ..) to people under the age of 16 and strong alcoholic beverages (whisky, wodka) under the age of 18.

But here comes the Belgian mentality: "Who cares" and "Who's going to control it". I've been to many many parties and organised a lot of them myself and NEVER in my 10 year career I've had any control or have I been controlled. When I was much younger, nobody has ever asked my ID to check if I was old enough.

It mostly comes down to a good sense. If you see someone very young asking for beer most will refuse or allow 1 or 2 beers. And if you see things get out of hand, you refuse. This is the way it mostly goes.

Quote:
also have some sort of barrier so those that would be offended by seeing some one drink a beer dont see the sinners caught up in their thing

Think this is the biggest difference. Beer is has always been a part of our culture. Seeing beer advertisements, seeing people drink a beer on a terrace, on the train, on parties is absolutely normal over here.
There is no way somebody is going to feel offended. I (we) don't see why or how. 'Hiding' things is not the best way to protect young children, it makes them even more curious. Explain them what it is, tell them that's it's only for adults, that they can taste it when they are older, explaining them the risks, is a much better solution.

Of course we do have people which have an alcohol problem, but that's only a few people(thank god) in a country where beer is everywhere. I think we are so used to it, that we now what the risks are.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinobe:

I think the alcohol thing is a carry over from the strong religious connection that was part of our government.

It seems to me that in your country the government thinks of you as responsible adults where I feel our government feels we are all still children and therefore keeps us all wrapped in blankets... Wink

Now what ya need to do is build yourself a couple of nice big smokers so you can serve up some real BBQ and double those numbers for next year. Wink

Also, it would be a real boost for tourism to your country if you could include some pix of those lovely belgian girls eating your ribs.. Laughing Laughing
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 07 06 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm with Roxy, you got it made Dinobe! Very Happy

Dealing with the authorities here in the states is, shall we say, real interesting! Shocked

I have friends from Germany, and they tell me things there are much more relaxed as well.

Still, the weather here is a reasonable trade I guess! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: