FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another project completed! First Cook 1/30
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 12:29 am    Post subject: Another project completed! First Cook 1/30 Reply with quote

This will be my first "real" smoker build and I wanted to solicit your ideas. I came across a deal on this tank and I already had the trailer so here we go. The trailer is structurally solid and has new axle, springs, hubs, wheels, and tires. It also has a 1/4" 4x8 steel diamond tread floor. It's currently being used for all my scrap.
The tank is 36" by roughly 72" so I'm guessing around 300 gallons. The date on the placard is 1946 so it's been around a while. My original thought was rotisserie but I'm not sold on the idea. Definitely gonna be some sort of offset but that's as far as I've gotten. Any ideas?

Last edited by slapout on Wed Feb 03 10 12:29 am; edited 22 times in total
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offset and reverse flow or not would work for you nicely. A reverse flow even with the plenum would still give you a lot of cooking surface. That's my opinion anyway.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
idleminds

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 6:36 am    Post subject: Ideas Welcome Reply with quote

Check this out

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/freytags/Building%20new%20smoker/
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring slapout, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks Smile And following your cooker build.
That is a nice sized vessel, I think either R/F, D.P., or conventional offset with tuning plates will be great.

Hybrid Cooker
BluzQue
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring slapout Very Happy
There's definitely some folks here that
can stear you in the right direction on
your build. Lookin' forward to your posts
& pics of your new build!

Cool

GOOD MUSIC GOOD FOOD GOOD BEER GREAT FRIENDS

OLE BOY OFFSET SMOKER
WEBER PERFORMER GRILL
WHISKEY BARREL SMOKER
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring! That tank should make one nice smoker. Any of the smoker types mentioned above should come out great! Looking forward to seeing it come together.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10 09 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tank would have to be shortened by a couple of feet to fit cross-wise on that trailer, and I don't think you'd want to make that great looking tank shorter (a tragic waste of potential, imo Wink)

A DPP run length-wise might fit, but I suspect it'd be a tight squeeze to fit cook tank and smoke box on that trailer between the wheels.

So an offset design with the smoke box hanging out the back of the trailer is probably the way to go. You'll probably have to move the axle back to get the balance right. But you'd be able to realize the full cooker capacity of that tank, and moving the axle isn't that big of a deal if you have the tools (read: torch and welder).

Should be a fun build - for us to watch you build, at least! Very Happy

Cheers
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Welcome to the ring slapout, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks Smile And following your cooker build.
That is a nice sized vessel, I think either R/F, D.P., or conventional offset with tuning plates will be great.

I certainly appreciate the warm (220 deg.) welcome as well as all the input guys and look forward to this project. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I definitely want to use the full length of the tank so I have no plans to shorten it. Its short fat size is what inspired me in the first place. I'm thinking a DP style smoker with the door to the rear of the trailer and the firebox just forward of the axle. The axle will still have to be moved aft a little to balance the weight and still clear the tank. Depending on how much room I have, I'll add wood storage, propane burners, and mount my 35 yr. old PK Grill. The biggest question I haven't answered is what do I make my firebox out of? 1/4" plate? If I can find the right piece of pipe I'll be set. Am I right in thinking that it will need to be around 100 gallons?
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapout, your tank is 316.82473650000003 gallons. lol

That is 72,996 cubic inches. 1/3 of that is 24,332. A circular firebox 30 inches by 36 inches is 25,434 cubic inches. A rectangular firebox 30" Wide by 36" tall by 24" deep is 2590 cubic inches.

Or 48 long by 24x24 (more suitable to a DP is 27,648 cubic inches.

These would all be roughly 1/3 the cook chamber.

BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like this

Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bludawg, That's very similar to what I've envisioned. I was just gifted two 30" by 84" 1/4 steel plates so the firebox will be square with a side door. I'm kicking around the idea of having the firebox to chamber opening in the lower center of the tank and build the chamber with double reverse plates and a single stack. I may have to have two stacks depending on the chart and my counterweight configuration. Anyone ever tried this double reverse idea?
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
Bludawg, That's very similar to what I've envisioned. I was just gifted two 30" by 84" 1/4 steel plates so the firebox will be square with a side door. I'm kicking around the idea of having the firebox to chamber opening in the lower center of the tank and build the chamber with double reverse plates and a single stack. I may have to have two stacks depending on the chart and my counterweight configuration. Anyone ever tried this double reverse idea?

Brilliant minds think alike. The only thing about feeding from the end with a 6' cook chamber that would be of concern is getting a nice bed of coals as to not have a hot spot at one end. By feeding to each end heat would be more even across the pit. If you look at how a DP is "plumed" it uses 2 feeds from the FB to the pit. {food for pondering}
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11 09 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, here is a link to some pics of a DP if you need close ups of the insides.
http://public.fotki.com/winstons/diamondplate_produc/

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13 09 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your input guys and please bear with me with the novice questions. I like the DP style but was wondering if one large opening in the middle of the tank would suffice rather than having two smaller ones. Since it is my intention to add a solid plate all the way across the bottom other than the ends making this a double reverse smoker, do you think it would have a tendancy to smoke to one side or the other? If so, two openings from the fb to the tank should solve that. Just thinking out loud here.

The next and more important question is purging the tank. I spent the better part of two hours in a deer stand yesterday searching this site with my blackberry. My eyes are still crossed and maybe that's why I didn't see any deer. I read some good info on the purging subject but I still don't have a definitive plan. I'm leaning towards water and dry ice. My questions for a 300 gallon tank are: How much water? How much dry ice? Soap or not? How many flushes? etc.

Again, any and all comments are welcome.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...for better or worse I got started this weekend. I started by dumping all the scrap out of the trailer and cleaning it up.

The next step was to take the old rotten wood off.

Next was to flip her to get to the axle. Since my plan is to mount the tank on the very back, I moved the axle back about a foot. Remember the tank is wider than the wheels so I have to mount it back and up about a foot to clear the fenders. Not too high to need a step stool though.

Once back on her feet, I broke out the torch.

I know it looks funny now but trust me, that tank is HEAVY plus everything extra will put alot of weight back there.

The next step was removing the valves and hardware from the tank.

This is some old stuff and needed a little encouragement from the monkey wrench and a 6 foot pipe. The 2 plates were a "gift" from a friend. They are 1/4" by 30" by 10'. I'm not sure it's use in a previous life but it has quarter size holes down the length on both sides. If I cut off the holes, it's about 26.5" wide. I'm sure that plate will cost a few butts.

It was getting late but my helper loved the sound the bottom of the trailer made as he jumped up and down.

This is getting fun! You know you're addicted when you wake up in the middle of the night with another idea on what to do next.

Last edited by slapout on Thu Nov 19 09 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, you are on your way Very Happy You are making some nice progress. I know all to well about waking up and then writing down notes in the middle of the night, it starts to consume you. Wait till your wife is talking to you and she screams are you listening to me and the whole while you are trying to perfect a damper slide in your mind Laughing
And that is an awesome pic of your Helper Cool

Hybrid Cooker
charleso
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, looks like you are really into that dangerous smoking addiction. But man, oh man, that is gonna be one humongous treatment center you are building for yerself.

One question, curosity got the best of me. I had to verify it on my Rand McNally Route Tools program just to make sure I had not missed Slapout, AL in my vast travels. After all there is a Pineapple, AL(pinecone, not the tropical fruit!). Exactly what part of AL are you slap out of Question Question Question
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to follow this build closely, I see a LOT of potential in those pics!

Great job with the little helper, just make sure he learns not to look at the arc or play with the torch...

Charlie
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the words of encouragement guys. This is certainly a first for me.
Charles, I can't believe Slapout isn't on your map. LOL! We're just north of Montgomery on Lake Jordan. As legend has it there was an old store here that's owner seemed to have an inventory issue. When asked if he had a particular item, his reply was always we're "slapout".
I'm looking forward to this build and I'm sure I will have many more questions. Thanks again for such a great site.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17 09 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapout, did the tank hiss when you took the valves off? How does it smell? If it had gas, fill with water, let sit for a couple days, drain, fill, let it sit for a couple days, drain it, set it away from the shop, run a fuse to it, home made is ok, put some dry leave brush in front of the valves so when the fuse hits them it burns. If no big boom then cut her open.

I layed my tank down and use hay in front, baling twine homemade fuse. I was much more comfortable after seeing 3 ft flames around the openings a no big boom. The smell is there to scare you and it does.

DP double reverse sounds good. So you will have a plenum and two stacks? If so then I would think two firebox inputs would work just fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: