FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another project completed! First Cook 1/30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16 09 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following closely Slapout. yup, you are being used as a guinnea pig here for my project. Hope you don't mind. LOL Nice work. A question arose as to my build. The hinges look awesome. So does having the fulcrum point of the hinges up from the more common barrell hinge welded to the cooker add much weight to the door as far as lifting it?
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind at all Wreckless. I've gotten most of my ideas from this site. The door is 45" X 29" and 1/4" thick so it is heavy regardless of the hinge. I liked the design that Hillbilly did and modified it a bit. I figured I would need a counterweight anyway so the design wasn't a problem. Working on the firebox today so pics to follow tonight.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
I haven't had as much time to work on the build as I would like but did get a few things accomplished. Since my 300 gallon tank is 63 years old, the layers of paint are a little difficult to remove with a wire cup. I tried my cheap sandblasting set-up but it's just too big a job and would take forever. Plus, I felt a little vulnerable wearing the little pink shower cap around the shop. What would my neighbors think???

I decided to let the professionals handle the blasting. I wish I had planned better because they could have sprayed it with a coat of high temp primer if they had it on hand. I ended up using the rattle can just to slow the process down.

I got the door laid out and hope to open it up this weekend. The torch wheel arrived but I haven't had a chance to play with it. I'll have to make a few practice cuts and adjustments before I ruin this tank.

I picked up a set of fenders yesterday and hope to get them mounted as well. It will be a tight fit but should work just fine based on my measurements between the axle and trailer frame.

The biggest score of the week was an old 120 gallon propane tank. I have enough 5/16 plate to build a rectangular firebox but this tank will work perfectly and still give me enough volume.

I plan to cut off one end and weld a circular plate. This will also serve as the door. The plan is to fabricate sliding air vents on each side of the tank but the actual design is still up in the air.
I have been using the template for my dimensions but the biggest question is the firebox to chamber opening(s). I have some 6" pipe I plan to connect the two but I was only planning to use two pipes. The template calls for five. Since this is a DP style smoker, I thought two was pretty much standard. What are your thoughts on this?

Slapout, You mentioned shooting it with high temp primer. Did you actually find a high temp primer in a spray can? I did find one using a spray rig but the primer is about $170 a gallon. Not gonna happen currently
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never looked for the primer. The sandblasting guy said if he had known ahead of time he would have ordered it. I was just too impatient to wait. I just used several cans of Rustoleum 1200 on the big tank to slow the rust process down.this rain is killing us. When I get finished I may take it back and get a price to go back over it with the blaster and shoot it with 1200. Depending on the price I may end up buying a sprayer and doing it myself or just brush it on. If I can get these photos to load in Photobucket, I'll get my latest progress posted.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, when my blaster cleaned my tank he was telling me it is a lot easier for his blasters to clean off the light rust than paint. I am sure all painter blasters have there preference. The reverse flow I am building will be blasted clean when I am through and then primed with Zinc primer then probably PPG pit- therm black on the cooker and the trailer will be red.

Hybrid Cooker
DreChar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
The reverse flow I am building will be blasted clean when I am through and then primed with Zinc primer then probably PPG pit- therm black on the cooker and the trailer will be red.

finally the true texas colors K.A.M.

all you need to do is add this to the cooker too
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an FYI, the paint I found was thru Shermin Williams via Hitempcoatings.com.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a couple of days off from my "real" job and managed to get in a duck blind, a deer stand, and still had time to work on the firebox. I broke out the cheap sandblaster and went to work. There was only one layer of old paint so it wasn't that bad.

The next step was to weld the 24" plate to the fiebox. Like I said before, I got a deal on this 5/16" plate but it made for a great door.

The next step was to cut out for the air inlet. and fabricate a door.

I cut out the door and fabricated a hinge out of the pipe inside the big tank. It has a 5/8" ID. I also added 1 1/4" strapping around the door.

I pulled the rig out of the shop to get a couple of pics.

The next step was to measure for and cut the connector tubes. I went ahead and cut the stacks while I had the chop saw out.

Last edited by slapout on Wed Feb 03 10 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
messerist
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it is gonna be "welding Gymnastics" putting on the connector pipes. Hurry up! The suspense is killin' me! Very Happy
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cook chamber is welded to the trailer but the firebox is just sitting there. My plan is to get it on level ground, make all my measurments, then draw out the cuts. Next will be to weld the connectors to the firebox (dampers installed first). Once they are welded, slide the firebox against the cook chanber and mark the cuts, slide them in, then weld them up. Easier said than done, right? I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it as the holidays draw near. The suspense will be killing me too. I actually woke up last night with an idea for the damper. K.A.M. warned me about that.
SierraScott
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying your build. I must say that most of us would love to have the tank for the firebox as a backyard party pit. Is there a certain way that you control the smoke flow coming from the firebox to the main chamber? So you can run the fire a little hotter and then choke it down without putting flu chokes on the smoke stacks? Great build tho. thanks for the fresh pictures.

Custom Built Upright Smoker
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5"
CharBroil Silver Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, looking good my man Very Happy I am liking the layout. Your bit now brother and so starts the sleepless nights Laughing Just be mindful that most Women are not as receptive to our build projects as we are. So when the Mrs. is asking you to do something even though you are thinking hard on a plan for your build act interested Laughing I hope to get some done on mine this weekend, no rain in sight so I am looking forward to some progress. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
messerist
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a metal shop and have access to the tools and material to make just about any smoker I want and can afford but....I also have a wife who does not understand why I would want another smoker when I have four "perfectly good" smokers at home. Duh? Because I don't have the perfect smoker! I've been scouring this site for ideas and inspiration and I thank you all for letting me steal your hard work! Very Happy
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, what I always thought and read was that you control the heat with the air intake at the firebox. Between my sliding intake and door I should get plenty of air. I plan to add 6" stove dampers between my firebox and cook chamber for more side to side control. I've also read that some DP style cookers are controlled with chimney dampers. I'm gonna try it without those for now. They would be easy to add later if needed.
SierraScott
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
Scott, what I always thought and read was that you control the heat with the air intake at the firebox. Between my sliding intake and door I should get plenty of air. I plan to add 6" stove dampers between my firebox and cook chamber for more side to side control. I've also read that some DP style cookers are controlled with chimney dampers. I'm gonna try it without those for now. They would be easy to add later if needed.

I would think it is easier to control the temp without the chimney dampers if you have a flow controller between the fire box and the cooking chamber. The wide open stacks should create a good, clean flow so you don't get a fire that punks out and covers the food with soot. Am I right in thinking that?

I also like that DP design because the more even the heat is in the chamber, the faster the food cooks. And that makes me happy.
I can't wait to see more of this build. Thanks for all the pics.

CharBroil Silver Smoker
SierraScott
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19 09 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messerist wrote:
I work in a metal shop and have access to the tools and material to make just about any smoker I want and can afford but....I also have a wife who does not understand why I would want another smoker when I have four "perfectly good" smokers at home. Duh? Because I don't have the perfect smoker! I've been scouring this site for ideas and inspiration and I thank you all for letting me steal your hard work! Very Happy

I guess I was just lucky that my wife didn't even flinch when i dropped $700 in materials in one weekend for my build. She knew what it was all about and was just as excited when that smoker came home as I was. Well, almost as excited.

CharBroil Silver Smoker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 09 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 09 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20 09 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the multiple posts but our internet is down and I had to load pics from my phone. I had a little time yesterday to work on the connector pipes and install the dampers. I also cut some wood strips and made a mock up for the counterweight. The stacks are not welded yet. Just trying to find the right position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: