FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another project completed! First Cook 1/30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to slip out to the shop last night and get the stacks welded on. What I thought would take about 15 minutes turned into an hour and a half. Trying to get these things plumb was tedious work. I'm pleased with how they turned out.

I spent my lunch hour today at the machine shop.

I guess I could have purchased a barrel bolt latch for my firebox but this one was just fun to build. I used a pipe nipple, a long bolt, and a lag screw. Now my wish list includes a milling maching, lathe and a tig welder. Nah, I'm just glad I know someone with the right tools. Very Happy

Last edited by slapout on Thu Dec 24 09 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, your stacks look great Very Happy And I like the bolt latch and lag screw. That is some nice work. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
salem747

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to grind down the threads on the lag bolt a little so it's not so sharp on the hands.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 09 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salem, the lag screw is there to attach the turned wood handle. I'm also adding one to the firebox vent door and the main door.
These are pics of the machinist in action. He stressed to me that he is a "machinist" and not a "welder". I guess that's why he was so cheap...right?

salem747

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 09 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a wooden handle would definitely blunt the threads on the lag bolt!
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slap out very nice work on your counter weight That looks sharp. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way cool! Gotta be an original.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our internet is down again so loading pics with the phone is a pain. Got the counterweight built and tacked on. Gonna play with the weight using sand to get it balanced. Taking the day off tomorrow so I hope to get the firebox attached. Hope to get more pics up tomorrow.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28 09 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice to have a whole day with limited interruptions. It took a while adding the sand to the counterweight in a horizontal position but I got it done and sealed up. It works great with little effort. The goal for the day was to get the firebox connected. I started by measuring, measuring, and remeasuring. Once you break out the torch, there's no turning back.

After a little persuasion from the come-along.

I hooked the trailer to the truck and pulled it out of the shop to take advantage of the great sunlight. I'm glad I measured the total height before pulling out. I had about 2 inches to spare.

I did manage to put a little smoke through it to check for leaks but it was too dark for pics. The next step will be to lay out and install the tuning plate tracks then start on the racks.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, that is a nice fit up you ended up with on your fire box Very Happy She is looking sharp. and the bolt latch is going to be nice when you fit it with the wood handle. Great work, I will be watching for more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M. I hope to get on the lathe pretty soon. I ordered a couple of high pressure burners, needle valves, and a regulator assembly yesterday. My plan is to build a cook top similar to the one made by gator pits. I could probably buy a cheap double burner but that just wouldn't do now would it?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Slapout. Between you, KAM, Hillbilly, and the others geniouses here, this is becoming the BBQ worlds version of keeping up with the Joneses. LOL
But alas, I am in good company here, fun stuff!! I am going with some type of food prep area and had considered an ebay 2 burner cook top. That no longer will suffice. My soul thanks you and my wallet despises you. Good you are going with the upscale version.
DC_KS_BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07 10 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

were did you get your dampners
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07 10 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC, they are standard 6" stove dampers. I got them @ Lowe's for about 6 bucks. I thought about making something with a little more wow factor but I figured why recreate the wheel?
I got my tuning plates and racks finished today. I hope to get pics uploaded tomorrow.
CarbedNotch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07 10 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build. My friend has one just like it. I cant wait to hear how yours cooks.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try something a little bit different than most DP clone smokers. I added adjustable tuning plates just above the smoke/heat tubes. These plates are made out of the same 5/16" plate I used on the firebox door and should hold the heat and divert the smoke quite nicely. The thought is that the heat/smoke in a typical DP has to be controlled by both the firebox inlet and the exhaust dampers which could potentially create soot build-up on the meat. Plus, the heat/smoke comes out of the pipes and rises straight up to the exhaust pipes which could potentially leave cool spots on the ends of the cooker. I'm certainly no expert but I figured it made sense to divert the heat to the ends thus creating a double reverse flow. We'll see how it works...after all, they are removable.

Notice the cuts in the plate. The one in the center was from the torch before I purchased the training wheels. Those aren't matching pieces but you see how inconsistent my cut was. The other cuts were made with the wheels without a guide strip. Need I say more? Since these plates are a little wider than I like (13.5"), my plan is to cut the ragged edges off. These plates weigh 42# each so I may rip them in half.

I got the racks put together yesterday as well. They are made with 1" square tubing and slide in and out just fine. I mounted the bottom rack 4" from the plates and the top rack 8" above the bottom rack. That will leave enough room for my water pans or my charcoal basket. I made some spacers that I can use to raise the bottom rack should I decide to grill. I also welded another piece of angle to the outside of the rails facing the curved edges of the tank. I may decide to add two small removable racks on each end to take advantage of that space.

I got a package in the mail yesterday that I'm excited about. My high pressure gas burners, needle valves, and regulator showed up. The picture shows them sitting on the bar grating I picked up. Some how, some way, this is going to be turned into a propane cooker.

This weather is killing my shop time. I'm ready to be finished with this project and start cooking!
BIGFELLA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good Slapout. I'll be interested to see how your propane ideas work out. Sounds like your ambitious to do a whole hog maybe?
Smoky Mountain Upright
Pig Cooker "Under Construction"
KCBS CBJ
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, I Like the idea of the plates Very Happy I think you will like that set up. She is looking very nice. I will be watching for more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: