FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another project completed! First Cook 1/30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Design Slapout. Words would not have done it justice, thanks for the pix
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. With this cold weather, I'm taking a break from the project this weekend and heading to the deer woods. After last night, I may shoot the first elephant I come across!!! I'm sure I'll be thinking about what to do to the cooker next but this project is winding down. The first cook is scheduled for the last weekend of the month at the hunting camp so I've got to get it wrapped up pretty soon.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little time to work in the shop last night so I started working on the wood storage area and the propane cooker. I have a few more supports to add for the storage area and it will be complete. I've been looking around for a piece of stainless to make a table top prep area but I may just build one out of wood instead. That's not pressing right now.

I used a piece of bar grating for the cooker platform and it worked out just as I had hoped. I'm going to add a piece of sheet metal to the back of the cooker to act as a wind deflector.

I put the burners and fittings together but I haven't mounted them yet. I am picking up a hose today and I want to test them first. I think I used about 6' of gas line tape sealing up all the fittings. So far, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

heavymand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey nice build my friend. what size tank did you use for your firebox?
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what size tank did you use for your firebox?

I used a 120 gallon tank but I cut it back to around 90 gallons so it would fit between the fenders.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kicks Slapout. I like the use of the space a lot!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, that is looking mighty fine Very Happy I like the burner setup. You are going to beat me to a start up aren't you Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
heavymand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried it out yet? i remember reading you were worried about cold spots. i wonder how it would work without the tuning plates.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15 10 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are going to beat me to a start up aren't you

Kevin, I think that's a loaded question. Your signature "Always remember slow and steady wins the race" comes to mind. I'm just ready to be finished and start cooking. Probably not as much as my wife is ready for me to be finished though.

Heavymand, I plan to get the pressure washer out soon and get the rest of the old sludge cleaned out then season it and fire it up.

Wreckless, Just like building a shop, you never have enough space. I originally planned to add my old PK charcoal grill to this build but I ran out of space.

I installed the wind deflector and got the burners mounted under the bar grating and fired them up. I haven't worked with gas fittings very much so I was pleased that there were no leaks. The adjustable regulator and needle valves work great and make a nice blue flame.

I also got the additional supports for the wood storage area finished and installed. I originally thought about using expanded metal for the sides but I also plan to add a prep area to the top. If it was enclosed with expanded metal and you needed a stick of wood for the fire, you would have to clear the table top to get to the wood. This way you can just reach through the supports and grab a stick when you need it. They are around 8" apart.

daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your burners those to knobs below your burners in the first burner pic.what are those called?If I went to the store and said I'm looking for....What would they be called?I need a couple for my smoker and those looke like what I need.
On you woodbox what is going to keep would from blowing out going down the highway?seems they would slide though the 8" spacing.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are needle valves. I got them from lalagniappe dot com. Call Charles at 985-308-0551 and he'll hook you up.

I plan to stack the wood in the same direction as the trailer. I may have to add some strapping adjacent to the firebox but it should be just fine.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, your moving at a stellar pace my man Very Happy She is looking sharp. I like your burner set up, you have me hunting for some cat walk material now. I will be watching for more updates Smile

Hybrid Cooker
CRITTERTX
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16 10 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !! Slapout is DA MAN, impressive does not begin to describe your skills.
250 gal Homemade Offset Trailer
2 UDS
2 Weber Kettles
dukhunter785

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17 10 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapout....Awesome job on the smoker!!! How did you calculate what you would need for a counter weight on the lid? I am to the point where I need to figure out one for my project. What are the dimensions of your cooker door?
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18 10 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys. No work this weekend but I hope to get out to the shop a couple of evenings this week.
Dukhunter, the door is roughly 45 by 30 by 1/4. My best guess is it weighs around 95#. The counterweight was filled with sand until it had the right balance then capped off. It's just trial and error.
dukhunter785

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22 10 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapout.......Thanks for the dimensions.......this gives me an idea of how much couter weight I will need.............
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22 10 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Duk. Like I said, it's trial and error. I built the support arms and tacked them in place. Then I tacked the 4" tubing to that and started clamping pieces of heavy scrap to make sure it would work. Then I took all the scrap off and weighed it. (don't remember the weight) I filled a bucket of sand until I had roughly the same weight as the scrap and made sure that much volume would work. The toughest part was adding sand in a horizontal position. In hindsight, I would clamp the tubing on somehow then remove to fill it with sand. Good luck.

I spent the better part of the week prepping my project for paint. I may regret it but I'm using Rustoleum 1200 deg. satin. I got the quart size from Lowe's and will try and get it done tomorrow.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23 10 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
No problem Duk. Like I said, it's trial and error. I built the support arms and tacked them in place. Then I tacked the 4" tubing to that and started clamping pieces of heavy scrap to make sure it would work. Then I took all the scrap off and weighed it. (don't remember the weight) I filled a bucket of sand until I had roughly the same weight as the scrap and made sure that much volume would work. The toughest part was adding sand in a horizontal position. In hindsight, I would clamp the tubing on somehow then remove to fill it with sand. Good luck.

I spent the better part of the week prepping my project for paint. I may regret it but I'm using Rustoleum 1200 deg. satin. I got the quart size from Lowe's and will try and get it done tomorrow.

Regret it? If it is that the satin is just a tad to pretty, you could always mix some Rusto high temp flat black in. I would think they are compatible. Besides, I don't think a quart is gonna be enough to make you happy. It wasn't for me on a comparable sized job. I kept finding that another coat would look better.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23 10 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I meant that I may regret doing it myself rather than having someone that knows what they're doing paint it. The rustoleum satin in the rattle can actually looks pretty good.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24 10 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the smoker painted this morning (3 coats) and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The real question will be how will it last. The fun part was putting it all back together. The turned wood handles added a very nice touch. My friend Curtis turned them out of Osage, aka Bois d'Arc, Mock Orange, etc. It's a local wood in our area and is as hard as steel...literally. Thank you again Curtis! The plan is to get it seasoned tomorrow afternoon just in time for the big cook next weekend.

[IMG]http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/413smr/FinishedSmoker7.jpg[/IMG]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: