FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another project completed! First Cook 1/30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a journey Slapout!! Very nice finish to the story as well. Touche!!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you make the dampers to fit inside the tubes and then get them to attach to the rod.I would figure you would drill a hole in the pipe insert the rod but from there i'm puzzeled about welding the plate on and making a plate that is just the right size to fit in there and be effective.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
taudaddy79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14 10 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang that is a good looking rig; so jealous. I really like the flat black and the turned wooden handles, nice touch.

WSM 18 1/2"
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15 10 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, awesome finish to a fantastic build Very Happy I enjoyed following your progress, nicely done my man Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So how do you make the dampers to fit inside the tubes

It just so happened that the pipe I had lying around was exactly 6" diameter I.D. and the stove dampers were 6" O.D. The dampers fit perfectly. The trick wasn't getting them inside the tubes it was getting the rods to go through the tube, the damper, then the tube again. The only way to make it work was to make one hole slightly larger than the other. The hole where the damper handle is located it about 1/4" where the other side is about 3/16". If you look at how stove dampers go together, they are spring loaded and you can push, turn and release them into place.

Thanks for all the positive words guys. I can't wait to fire my pit up again. With what I spent (wasted) at Corky's Sunday, I could've purchased several slabs from my butcher. It was just a scratch I had to itch. The wife wanted wet ribs and I wanted dry, they said they could do the order 1/2 and 1/2. They brought us a full St. Louis cut slab that was 1/2 wet and 1/2 dry. That means either they cooked them all dry and added sauce at the end or they wiped off the sauce and sprinkled a little rub on there before serving. Neither of which was right....and they didn't even pull the membrane. Live and learn.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="slapout"]
Quote:
With what I spent (wasted) at Corky's Sunday, I could've purchased several slabs from my butcher.

I haven't been to a steak house ( Ruth Chris, Old SF, $$$$$$) in over 15 years for that reason. I will go for Red Lobster, Olive Garden etc. They make the stuff that I either can't do as well or don't want to. But I have refused so far to pay for $$$$ steak when I have no doubt I can do as well or better. I do splurge on dine out Q tho.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07 10 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we took advantage of this beautiful weather yesterday and went to the Smokin in the Square BBQ comp in Pensacola. We went with the intention of checking out the cookers and see how the process works in anticipation of our first comp next month. I guess I was a little disappointed with the pulled pork that was being served for the people's choice awards and the long lines. There was a line a quarter mile long to sample Jack's Old South so we decided to skip it. We did get there early and had a chance to speak to him. I must say, his demeanor was in total contrast to his "character" on Pitmasters. He said season 2 should be good. Stay tuned!

crashdavis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 2:52 am    Post subject: awesome build Reply with quote

Firstly, beautiful build that looks like it turned out great. I know this thread is fairly old, but I have a question regarding your firebox to cook chamber size. I've been planning a build pretty similar, and when I plug the dimensions of the firebox etc into the pit calculator, it recommends considerably more airflow between the two chambers than the two 6" pipes would seem to deliver. My firebox is going to be smaller than yours even and it recommends like 170 sq inches. Two six inch nets about 56.5 sq inches. Yet yours cooks very well I'm assuming. Do you think it's because the pipe can contain a volume of air that a simple inlet cannot?

I'm just trying to make sure I make a good cooker and though I probably will build more than one, I'd like to do them right.

Thank you.

Darrin
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrin, thanks for the kind words. I know exactly where you are coming from as those questions were my concerns as well. It's hard to explain as I'm no master pit builder or engineer but this set up just "works". It may be a volume thing but I just can't say for sure. If you look at how a DPP is put together, they have the same issues with the inlet size and in my opinion are one of the best pits made. I can say that without a doubt, mine gets plenty of air flow. Having cooked on it for over a year now, I would not change a thing about the inlet or stack size. For me, the size was determined by what material I had on hand. The main guideline I tried to follow in the calculator was the firebox to cook chamber ratio. Please feel free to ask any qustions as that is how I learned everything I know. Good luck with your build and please keep us posted as to your progress. Matt
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice build slapout, that cooker came together real nice! SWEET!

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: