FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CG Mods Help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 11 12:31 am    Post subject: CG Mods Help? Reply with quote

I have been lurking here for quite some time. What a useful sight for Q fans. Currently using an ECB, that was given to me, with all the mods I have found here.
We have recently purchased a CG Pro for deer camp (and turkey camp, fishing camp, etc.) and are going to make all the mods I have found here (plus a few of my own, of course ;>) ), during assembly.
I will take pictures and post if anyone is interested.
Now for the question. I am going to install a baffle at the cooking box inlet as well as the tuning plates. Has any on tried, or considered, using lava rocks, either above or below the tuning plates for heat retention and distribution? Any thoughts on wether this will work? If so, on top of, or below the tuning plates, or both? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question.
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23 11 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting thought. I have a CG Pro also that I have been saying that I am going to mod but haven't got around to yet. My mods will probably happen this summer when I am not so busy fishing. I am looking forward to seeing your mods after you complete them.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
sixfofalcon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people use fire bricks near the inlet in the main chamber, others use water pans, and I'm sure someone has tried lava rocks but I don't know what the verdict was. I played around with so many mods on my CG over the years, but in the end, the only ones I felt made much of an improvement were the following:
Gasketing/sealing up the leaks
Making a decent charcoal basket
Installing good thermometers at grate level
Putting big tires on the thing so I could move it around the yard more easily

I played with water pans, sand pans, tuning plates, baffles, flipping the charcoal grate in the MC, and the like and none of it really did anything to make the CG any better. Of course YMMV, but I'd recommend you start out by just sealing it up and installing a decent charcoal basket and then just relax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: