FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bambie sausage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28 09 8:58 pm    Post subject: bambie sausage Reply with quote

Anyone have a good italian-venison sausage recipe?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29 09 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grillable Italian sausage? No problem, I got ya covered.

Italian/Sicilian-Style Sausage
3 lbs Venison cubed, nearly frozen
2 lbs pork butt, cubed nearly frozen
5 t coarse kosher salt
3 t fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
2 cloves garlic finely minced (or 1 Tbs granulated garlic as a substitute)
2 1/2 t fennel seed, crushed
1 t anise seed, crushed
crushed red pepper to taste
55 feet medium hog casings

Prepare the casings by soaking. Grind the almost frozen meat and fat together through a coarse disk.
Mix the remaining ingredients with the ground meat and fat.
Stuff the mixture into casings and twist off into three- or four-inch links.
Refrigerate overnight for the flavors to meld.
use within three days, or wrap sausages and freeze.

(Note:You might also try adding
about 1 T of dry sweet basil and 1 T of dried Italian oregano. if the mixture seems dry, add 1/4 cup dry red wine)

How many pounds of venison do you have? or what do you want for a final total poundage of sausage? If you give me your weight in venison, I can tell you how much pork you need and size the recipe correctly for you.

When I am making venison sausages for someone, I take into account their personal grilling skills, if they tend to overcook and burn everything, I use a higher percentage of pork in the mix, if they are good with a grill and do not usually overcook things, I will back off on the pork.

There are few things worse than overcooked venison
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29 09 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow Harry....55 feet of casing seems like an awful lot for 5 lbs. of sausage.

Based on my experience, I'd plan on 15 feet of casing for that amount of sausage...

....but that's just me.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29 09 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry, that sounds like what I am looking for although 55' of casing does sound a little over the top Shocked I dropped a buck the other morning and am going to grind it all except the 2 hams & strap. Where you're at that sounds like a lot but with our small deer after boning that is only about 50 lb of grind.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30 09 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut & pasted from my recipe file, and recalculated the seasonings to match the poundage, I guess I forgot to edit the casing amount. schitt happens.

You want to do some cured/smoked sausage with that buck?
Or aren't your deer in rut right now?
When I take bucks, the backstraps and tenderloins only get saved, and the rest gets made into cured-smoked stuff due to the flavor being not-optimal with all the hormones running through them during the rut.
The Does are mostly roasts & steaks and the trim is ground for fresh sausage because they always taste great.

I didn't even get a deer license this year, it is UG-LEEE up here right now. we hardly had any hunters show up this year either. The DNR has been overestimating the herd for the last 10 years and over-issuing doe permits, now we have a very low count on deer.

The local deer processors are seeing very little deer coming in too, I bet we are going to see less than a 10% success rate this year.
B.L.Z.A four

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30 09 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the same problem down in the lower half of the state Harry. I am down by Wis. Dells and we don't have the deer numbers we use to have. I think the D.N.R's screw up on the estimation of the deer population has pretty well eradicated the deer herd around this area. I seen 4 deer during the 9 day season this year. Terrible!

Blza
PETA= People, Eating, Tasty, Animals !!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30 09 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.L.Z.A four wrote:
We got the same problem down in the lower half of the state Harry. I am down by Wis. Dells and we don't have the deer numbers we use to have. I think the D.N.R's screw up on the estimation of the deer population has pretty well eradicated the deer herd around this area. I seen 4 deer during the 9 day season this year. Terrible!

Blza

it sucks all over! I am near Minocqua/Woodruff, we are usually overrun by hunters, all I usually see is truckloads of people in blaze orange! but not this year I didn't even here my first shot until 4:30 P.M. on opening day.

The herd was decimated by wolf predation real bad these last few years too. A buddy of mine put out 3 trail-cams a month ago on what looked like well used deer trails, all he got was pictures of wolves.
Our turkey situation sucks now too, the Coyotes moved in where the wolves weren't, and wiped out turkeys and grouse. I have a pack of yotes that I see several times per week in my yard. And I plan on taking care of them once their fur gets prime.
The little bastards would come right up to the house this summer with offerings for my female shepherd, now that I have a large male shepherd too, they stay farther out.
At least the rabbit populaton is down again, So the yotes did some good.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01 09 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll send you a sh*t load of 'em. You can't even drive at night without almost hitting at least one or two. They get that stupid look and won't move out of the road.
I wish they would thin them out down here.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01 09 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
I'll send you a sh*t load of 'em. You can't even drive at night without almost hitting at least one or two. They get that stupid look and won't move out of the road.
I wish they would thin them out down here.

Hmm, I might need to look at some hunting spots down that way, is there any land open to the public and lodging nearby?

I could always go to "Forest Of Antlers" right down the road from me, and pay $10K to shoot a trophy buck from an elevated stand with heat, a bathroom, running water, and they even tell you what time your trophy buck will be by so you can shoot him. Then they take pictures and get the deer to the taxidermist for you.
Alot of the Rolling Eyes "Executive Types" Rolling Eyes from major cities spend their money there so they can wear their brand new $1,200.00 Gor-Tex jacket , and shoot their custom-made weatherby rifles with gold inlay that probably cost more than my truck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: