FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Chargriller pix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 22 06 12:09 pm    Post subject: New Chargriller pix Reply with quote

Well I put the Chargriller together yesterday and I was expecting a nightmare as one BBQ dealer in town told me it took him 4 hours to put one together. With some help from my wife and best friend (thats one in the same person there) we got it together in just over an hour and that is with a coffee break. The smoker is packaged well and I am amazed they got this unit in such a small box, when I saw it the first time I thought they forgot the firebox...

Heres some pix of the assembly;

Base and bottom of grill together awaiting the firebox.

Shot off the firebox and me doing a "got my new smoker dance"... It isnt pretty. Embarassed Didnt know the wife had the camera... Laughing

Firebox installed

Shelves and grill lid installed.

All done, now to season and fire it up. I used a mixture of bacon fat and vegetable oil to season the grill and cooking chamber.

I used half a 10 lb bag of charcoal and 2 pieces of split Oak that I got from a neibour to season the smoker.
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 22 06 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good there Roxy! Very Happy Can't wait to see what you cook up on the new smoker!

Sounds like the assembly (for you) was straight foward. Got it done in 1/4 of the time as the BBQ dealer! Laughing Bet the four hours included some "break time" for beer time! Wink
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 22 06 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he got the grill and firebox sepperate and had to cut out the opening for the firebox. I was concerned my unit would be like that but found that the opening was all ready cut which saved a lot of time.
LIAR #100
NewbieQ

PostPosted: Tue May 23 06 8:08 am    Post subject: opening for firebox Reply with quote

hello, hey i'm hoping to buy this same unit in a week or two. Don't you hammer out the pre-fab spot for the firebox? If so can't you leave it and use the damper thats there (even wide open) to cut down on the direct flame from firebox to main????
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 23 06 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit was all packaged with a firebox so the cooking chamber had the opening already knocked out. I would imagine if you got the grill and firebox sepperate that piece would be intact.

I know the store here in town, that has a model on display, had the piece intact and the guy had to cut it out... It didnt just knock out, he used a jigsaw.
LIAR #100
jasper82

PostPosted: Tue May 30 06 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy,

congrats on the Chargriller! I have had one about a year and I love it.
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 30 06 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy..keep the day job!! Shocked Got a feelin' your dancin' is too much like mine!! Laughing Wink
RICK_IN_LB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 31 06 12:11 pm    Post subject: My griller Reply with quote

Here is mine with the box added later, notice the wheels , was right before the box

You can also go here
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=14qq0hvs.125sx7zw&x=1&h=1&y=8ugyso
For a few more pix

By the way use the top grill for your wood and coals, you will see in the other pictures

Enjoy
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 31 06 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right man! Nice smoker!! I love the cast iron grates. I'd love to have cast iron grates. Best wishes friend! Smile BTW what happened to the boat? I see the cleats but no boat. Laughing

GIANT BBQ
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 31 06 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zilla wrote:
All right man! Nice smoker!! I love the cast iron grates. I'd love to have cast iron grates. Best wishes friend! Smile BTW what happened to the boat? I see the cleats but no boat. Laughing

The boat was a 24 foot party barge and it had to go when my step father could no longer handle it. At the end he was drifting out of his lane and almost ramming other boats and could no longer dock the thing. The last year Ma had the boat I was Captain and would take the family out for day trips when we came to visit. Sure hated to see the thing go.
The cool thing about the place where she lives is every one has their boat in the backyard.
LIAR #100
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy,

Where did you get your chargriller at? I know Home depot carries them, but the one in my town doesn't, and apparantly can't/won't order them. They only have the little Char Broil Silver, which I don't want.

I think I'm going to be building my own barrel cooker, but I wouln't mind picking one of these up if I could find it. I just don't want to have to pay the extra frieght to get it here.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Home depot up here in canada only carry gas grills but they carry it on line which is where I ordered it from. It cost me 20 bucks for shipping so that wasnt too bad.
LIAR #100
RICK_IN_LB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 11:04 am    Post subject: lowes Reply with quote

ceedubya, give Lowes a try. I purchased mine from there and if you do a search you can find one close to you because there is none in your city. Good luck in finding one, because I really like mine

enjoy
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Thanks, it looks like its even cheaper than Home Depot online. There's a Lowe's in Missoula and one in Billings, both of which I will be visiting soon. They are going to build a Lowes here, but I don't have the patience to wait.
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why, but when I assembled mine I put the wheels on the firebox side anyway. So I guess I won't have to worry about that when I put the firebox on in the future! Woo-Hoo!

Tipsy Pig BBQ and Brewery
bonsaikc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just my long association with my old Brinkmann, but will the smoke actually travel left to right? That seems so wrong, somehow. Anyway, great post, good pics, I am so hungry right now...maybe it's the brisket, babybacks, spare ribs and 2 chickens smoking that are making me hungry...
RICK_IN_LB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 7:59 am    Post subject: AHHHHH Reply with quote

AHHHH GRASSHOPPER you ask the old question. In California we try to follow the wisdom of the wise one, Horace Greely. Go West young man. Look at the map Left to Right Very Happy So this has to be correct Twisted Evil
Just have enough Cigarzzzzz

Enjoy
Hoss5355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy,

I was looking at this model of smoker the other night in Columbus, Ohio...and I noticed there was a piece of what looks like stainless that hangs down inside the smoke chamber. From what I can come up with, this would be for holding charcoal if you were using this side as a grill. Am I correct?

The next thing, since that pretty much takes up all the space in the bottom, does it help disperse the heat some for an even cook. I wonder if it will somewhat work like the plates in high end cookers. I have a SNP and I had to do the mods to it to get close to decent temps across the chamber.

Have you checked out the temps in different places of the pit yet? How far off are you from firebox side to far side?

I am looking at getting another smoker, and I'm not sure whether to buy this one, or keep saving for something different.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy, I hope you have the time of your life with your new pit.
Mark H
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14 06 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoss5355 wrote:
Roxy,

I was looking at this model of smoker the other night in Columbus, Ohio...and I noticed there was a piece of what looks like stainless that hangs down inside the smoke chamber. From what I can come up with, this would be for holding charcoal if you were using this side as a grill. Am I correct?

The next thing, since that pretty much takes up all the space in the bottom, does it help disperse the heat some for an even cook. I wonder if it will somewhat work like the plates in high end cookers. I have a SNP and I had to do the mods to it to get close to decent temps across the chamber.

Have you checked out the temps in different places of the pit yet? How far off are you from firebox side to far side?

I am looking at getting another smoker, and I'm not sure whether to buy this one, or keep saving for something different.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Kevin:

You are correct in what you are thinking about that charcoal basket, for a loss of other words. Some one suggested to me to turn it over and place it back in the smoker. I did this and have it set so it is 1 inch above the firebox opening and it works excellent as a tuning plate. Originally I had a good temp difference frome end to end, something like 50 degrees or more and with the mod the difference is less than 20 degrees from centre to the edge of the grill, tight to the firebox side... Cant beat that and for the money you cant beat this smoker.

IMHO.

David
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: