FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with my new pit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX BB-Q

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 6:59 am    Post subject: Need help with my new pit Reply with quote

I got a 250 gal propane tank, that was built in 1946. It is 3/16 thick. All the valves and plugs have been removed for over a year. You can smell the inside, and there is no gas smell. I went ahead and filled it up with water. Now I have been told that it is not the gas itself that you have to worry about, but he gas pockets that are the problems. The tank is 6'x24" round. I was planning on cutting it early in the morning before the heat got built up in the tank.
What is the opinion on this. Has anyone had good/bad luck doing this? Will I be safe doing this. I am wanting to mount it on a trailer. If anyone has any pics of their completed pits to help me with ideas, that would be great.
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TX,
My tank is 30X72. Here is a link to all my construction pics [url] http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/tonygregor/?start=all [url] This is my 2nd one I've made from scratch, feel free to PM if I can be of any help or ask questions...[/url]
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, if at all possible, find someone to cut it for you. Like a local fabrication shop. Many people cut them everyday, but why take a chance if you can get someone else to do it. Propane is oderless, it's the additives you smell. I worked in the gas pipeline industry for awhile and have seen too much bad stuff happen when it goes wrong. What ever you do, just be very careful and don't rush yourself.

Good luck,
Travis
TX BB-Q

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I live in the sticks, and not many people around. I will consider it though. Once you make the initial cut and nothing happens, does this mean you are out of danger or could it happen at any time?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the man said......its the first step that is a duzy. We have covered this subject in detail last year. Type in propane or tank in the search box and you can review the whole list of don'ts.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fumes that build up in the tank as you cut it are also a problem.

As Travis suggested, a pro with a shop is a good choice. The cuts will also be cleaner and more accurate. Make sure to mark out all the holes you need (doors, firebox opening, smokestack etc.), and they can all be done at the same time. It is also helpful to locate and mount the door hinges BEFORE you cut the doors out for proper alignment.
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, if the fumes that build up are the biggest concern when cutting, why couldn't he make the initial cuts and finish with a sawzall?
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever try to cut (a lot) of 3/16 steel with a sawzall! Shocked Laughing

Its slow, hard work, not accuarate (the saw will wander off line), and did I mention hard work?
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Ever try to cut (a lot) of 3/16 steel with a sawzall! Shocked Laughing

Its slow, hard work, not accuarate (the saw will wander off line), and did I mention hard work?

Amen Brother... I used a plasma cutter and my tank is 5/16 (1960's).
Good luck with your project
Txngent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMMM , plasma cutter... you are a luck bazzard. I am trying to save up for one. I am looking at a Hobart, that is what my mig is. My opinion, Miller is the best... also the most expensive. My Hobart mig has many Miller parts on it, Hobart is made in Canada. Hmmm, wonder if there is a connection?
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Txngent wrote:
MMMMMM , plasma cutter... you are a luck bazzard. I am trying to save up for one. I am looking at a Hobart, that is what my mig is. My opinion, Miller is the best... also the most expensive. My Hobart mig has many Miller parts on it, Hobart is made in Canada. Hmmm, wonder if there is a connection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hypertherm-Powermax-600-Plasma-Cutter-New-In-Box_W0QQitemZ7624976626QQihZ017QQcategoryZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one to buy and they are the ones to buy it from. The Miller's also have a lot of parts from this unit, including the torch. If you call them, tell Julie I sent you. There number is on the listing.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Txngent, since your close to Houston, call Bruce Shoemaker with Texas Welders Supply (Federal Road location, I think). He should also be able to hook you up with some good deals.
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Txngent wrote:

Relax Dude Laughing Laughing It was borrowed... Even I can't afford a plasma torch ( well I can but can't justify it --YET) Wink
Txngent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TC and HVAC. I have priced them at Triple S Steel, Millers. The Hobart I was looking at was running about 1100. Tell you one thing, there is no such thing as a used plasma cutter for sale!
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a used Plasma is like finding a used single phase mig welder. It's rare.
BBQBubba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TX
Filling your tank with water and letting it overflow for awhile will be sufficient to cut your tank with an oxygen-acetylene torch. If you have a way to steam it that would be even better. Both methods are used to clear tanks with hydrocarbons where I work.
Do Not use the exhaust from your car or small engine thinking that will displace O2 and create an explosion proof atmosphere. This is not true! All combustion is not 100% I have seen demostrated an engine that was ran off the exhaust of another because of unburnt fuel. You could be making an even more dangerous situation.
Hope this can help you.
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04 06 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQBubba wrote:
TX
Filling your tank with water and letting it overflow for awhile will be sufficient to cut your tank with an oxygen-acetylene torch. If you have a way to steam it that would be even better. Both methods are used to clear tanks with hydrocarbons where I work.
Do Not use the exhaust from your car or small engine thinking that will displace O2 and create an explosion proof atmosphere. This is not true! All combustion is not 100% I have seen demostrated an engine that was ran off the exhaust of another because of unburnt fuel. You could be making an even more dangerous situation.
Hope this can help you.

Nice observation and safety tip...I would agree with you 100%
TX BB-Q

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13 06 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll just to let everyone know------I DID IT!!. I cut the propane tanks on Sunday, and had no problems. I filled it with water and added a bottle of dish wash detergent to it. I got to say I was a little concerned, but every thing turned out fine. Thanks to all who helped.
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13 06 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool-any pics yet??Just curious Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: