FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another propane tank gives its life for the cause
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 12:04 pm    Post subject: Another propane tank gives its life for the cause Reply with quote

Finally found a nice tank that was affordable and in good shape, no dents and little rust ( just some surface rust on the bottom) 250 gal .199" thick ( nice round number) Rolling Eyes It did clean up nicely so far with a little more left to do once the legs and valve openings are gone. Still trying to decide what to do with it tho. DP clone or offset. Without searching first ( Not sure what to search for) Has anyone built an offset with a reverse flow as optional via tuning plates? I was thinking 2 exhausts, one on the far side from the firebox and one on the firebox side. It could be used traditional with the firebox smokestack closed or add the tuning plates and shut off the far side smokestack and use the firebox side stack.

daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have seen a few on here that go both reverse and conv.someone will be along to tell you who.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless,nice score on your tank. Very Happy I have often thought of bulding one that would function either way. Run with plates when you want to or slide the plates shut leaving the opposite side to the fire box open and have a secondary stack at the fire box end for your reverse flow. After the build I am working on now I have 150 gall . tank that is going to be built that way. I will be watching your progress. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a few more thought from ya'll. First is safety. I have read the comments to Slapouts build concerning opening the tank. I was planning to fill mine with water and cut out the valve nipples which will give me a little more access to the tank. Then use the fire near the opening approach with a fuse type setup. The scary part, Also considering using a small amount of charcoal starter in the tank itself due to its resistance to flash. The idea is to seek out all remnants of propane even tho this tank has been open for quite some time. When cutting into the tank for the doors, the tank will be inverted so water in the tank will no longer be an option. and second question on this long but necesary post....what are the advantages of DP clone VS offset? Not too lazy to search but the searches tend to return as many as 70+ pages and with dial up, if you believe in the theory of evolution, my tank will evolve into a smoker on its own before I get thru 70+ pages, much like reading this post LOL
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17 09 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, as far as the tank cutting goes. Filling it with water and a de-greaser and flushing it several times is always a good idea. I have never been much for the cowboy approach when my life or others are involved. I always tell everyone when in doubt don't cut it. But filling it with water and making those cuts you mentioned should open it enough to reduce the pucker factor. The build I am currently working on started out as a DP but changed because of the concern with hot spots across the grates. I think the body style of the original DP's work well while on the round tank clones there are some issues with hot spots.
When you cut your doors I suggest you leave the four corners and the middle upper and lower middle portions in tact until your tank cools completely then finish your cuts. I even practice this on pipe cookers, it will help alleviate some warpage on your doors. I left middle in the left and right on the doors I am working on now also, and as far as I can tell no warpage occurred.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, thanks K.A.M. I was thinking about tacking my vertical straps on the door while the web is still in place as well, with my horizontal pieces being added once the web is cutout and using my 24" pipe I have as an anvil to pre-bend the straps with an overbend. Ha...guess I have mentioned more than enough times my paranoia of a warped door. Been there, done that once before and it was not pretty. I will be using my plasma cutter. Wonder if there is any advantage to scoring the doors cutout line with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18 09 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, I have never scored the tank before cutting so I am not sure if it would be helpful or not. I always lay them out and cut them with my torch. Some tanks no matter what you do will have some stress and warp. I always just try to prevent the effects of me cutting and its already stressed roll as best I can. I have had 3/8'' thick doors pull on me before, I have several ways of bringing them back into shape if it happens.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 09 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to orientate my tank and need a little help from the flow masters and aesthetics folks. I decided to go with the conventional / reverse flow option so I will have a smoke stack on one end somewhat meat level forconventional and thru to top for the RV option. Problem is, I have an almost perfect location for the RV smoke stack ( A pipe nipple hole) except it is on the wrong end from what I need for a driver side trailer smoker mount and I really don't want to have to plug it. Question is...How much will it affect the flow and how odd will it look if my stack for the RV is at the 2:00 towards the back side instead of 12:00 Weld seam will be at 1:00 on the back side in this orientation
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 09 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless. I would think as long as you can plum the two stacks left right forward and aft I think the offset stack will look fine.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 09 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M. I went with it. So what did we learn this week? I went from not so much pucker factor ( Gotta retain that term) to reading up on it and having quite a bit of apprehension then, to reading up some more and having decent confidence I wasn't going to go kerblam kerblooey. Rinsed the tank once with a nice lemony degreasing liquid soap and water, drained it and lit a small fire around it, hooked the exhaust up to it at the front of the shop with fans going and pucker factor went to a manageable level once the cutting began. Also learned a nice framing technique for using the skateboard wheels on the plasma cutter via Slapouts build. What did I accomplish? I got one door cutout except for the webbing that I retained. I am going to add the vertical 1 1/4" straps to hold the door in place somewhat before finishing cutting out the web. I pre-bent the straps to a 24" dia radius so they will fit on nicely. The plasma cutter was awesome. The metal was cool enough to touch within minutes tho I still went slow and alternated cuts. Good deal, I don't think I am going to have to deal with warpage.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 09 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, Looks great Very Happy You are on your way now. I look forward to some more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 09 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Wreckless. Glad to see the tank opening went well today. You're making some good progress. I'll be watching this one close.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went the cautious route and cut only one door. Took the better part of a day to settle on my hinge design and cut them. I used the cautious route in case there were any learning curves. Anything learned from the first one would be applied to the second one but, there were no surprizes so I can get after the other side rather quickly minus the cool down time. Not rushing it, just a bit more enlightened. One of the ideas that took a while to debate was adding the hinges before or after the door was fully cut out. I chose before since my help is non existent for the most part. I also added the vertical straps tacked in place to keep the door in place after the final cut. I really did like the hinges on your build Slapout so consider yourself copied tho they are not in the shape of an "R" And lastly, I put one half of one of the door handles on so i would have something to work with. I will add the other half once I have an actual handle in my hand. I am going with the store bought SS cool handles.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, nice job on the door mount. Very Happy It looks like it fits well, I will be watching for some more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get myself an early Christmas present which should help things along a bit. I am now the proud owner of a bonafide 1 ton chain hoist and a 36" adjustable slide clamp. They say neccesity is the mother of invention and I have had many creative moments when needing a third hand most of which resembled a three stooges comedy with only one player involved. The 12V winch was trying to kill me lol.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 09 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good score on the chain hoist. I have to borrow my brother's front end loader when I have to move things around. Wish I had one. The door turned out nice and great job on the hinges. I don't take credit for that idea just modifying Hillbilly's. You're moving now.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26 09 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be smooth sailing for a while. I got the second door cut out with no problems and now moving on to the firebox. I will be using plate steel which is familiar territory. With all the rain we have been getting, I touched up the bare metal with a quick dose of high temp paint. It may get in my way a little but the coating is so light that I shouldn't have to remove any to work with it. This is the wreckless version of a two tone paint job LOl. Hey, it's all I had at the moment.
In between cool down spells on the second door, my mind got to wandering ( ok, bored) and remembered the kiddo had mentioned wanting a custom beer/soda holder for his pit. I had planned on just making a homemade version of the hang on your window type found at any store but figured trying to bend some strap into a 2 1/2" diameter ring wasn't going to be easy with what I have to work with. I came up with this...Some leftover diamond plate for bling and filled the inside area around a dummy can with expanding foam and voila...coozie/beer holder. I told him it was either cool or gaudy or both. I think both.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27 09 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of a firebox...I was going to go with just inside the diameter of the smoker with a 29"width and just under half ( 12-14") firebox to smoker inlet. Using Toms calculator, I need about half of that. The thinking behind this was..A) I am going with the reverse flow option B) I will be putting a moveable/rotating damper via an exterior crank setup covering 99% of the area that will be able to shut down the heat source if need be and also enable a surge of heat in the times when you just gotta get things finished up.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27 09 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, looking good my man. Very Happy I like the coozy, I need one of those hanging on my wall outside my shop. For my thinking and idea beer. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29 09 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days out of the shop gave me time to plan a bit in my head. I wanted to build the pit on the ground and fabricate a trailer to fit afterward but couldn't decide how to stage it to clear the firebox build. Ended up cleaning off my pipe/mat'l rack and dragging it inside. It has v's built for oil drums on it so it worked perfect for the tank to keep it from rolling.

I wanted a 30" square firebox and found a 29.5" x 60" 1/4" thk plate second at the steel yard ( Ok, they helped on the 60" by cutting off the scrap) @ $.28 a lb.It will be enough added to what I already had to get the box done. Once the tank was on the racks, I was able to re-establish 12:00 and marked center, 3, 6, and 9:00 Good day continued as I was gifted 4 "Cool handles" and 2 sturdy sawhorses. The old ones are at front of following pic and were worthless. New ones are in the back

Ready to rock tomorrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: