FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another propane tank gives its life for the cause
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, you are moving right along my man. Very Happy Laying it out on the rails is going to be nice. I look forward to seeing some more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 09 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're moving right along Wreckless. Keep the updates coming!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 10 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't able to work on the latest project. Ya' see, my ex came to visit me and ended up staying the night. Man...she still looks good. The new guy she is with wanted her to get some selective surgery. Wish she had that done while she was still with me. I added a trailer jack at each front corner, mounted a custom drink holder, and added a mount for a beach size beer logo umbrella. Looks good.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 10 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I am confused. Confused How did your Ex end up with your sons smoker, and did your Ex's significant other spend the night also? Laughing Please enlighten me. Laughing
BTW, the mods look awesome Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 10 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry KAM, I was just messing around a little with the lead-in. The ex being my last pit. The guy that bought it, brought it by for some additions. He has a tailgate venture called the Mastergator and he bought this pit to go along with his party box van. It is going to showcase at the Alamo Bowl on saturday and at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo next month. I am enjoying building and learning the art of building these rigs so my son is going to become a test driver for me when they are finished and use them while it is for sale. Kind of like a kid whose dad own a car lot and the kid gets to use the demo until it sells and then jumps into the next one. it has become an addictive non profit hobby.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 10 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to admit you had me going there. I was thinking poor guy! Mods look good. Keep us posted on your progress.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03 10 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see...What has Wreckless learned this time? Besides already knowing that round smokers have a mind of their own. Where I have my tank on my work racks is pretty much the height it will ride at on the trailer. I had planned on the firebox topping out 3" below grate / door level height. With a 24" firebox, I will only have 10" ground clearance and did not want any less, actually more. Satisfied this would work as is, I cut open the tank for the firebox. While planning my next move, I gave the doors a whirl, and had second thoughts about the handle height. Kind of high but I already cut the tank. Looking at KAM's build, I rotated the tank forward about 5 degrees and gained about 2 1/2" in handle height which was quite a lot in ergonomics(?) I recut the horz tank opening and while it is now level or slightly above the bottom door edge, I am going to put a downward angle on the top edge of the firebox to lower it's highest entry point into the smoker. Hope it doesn't mess with the flow but hey!, It was all I could do. as Slapout remarked...once the torch is out it is all over with. Cut my plates today. The new sawhorses were a blessing.

Nice cuts from the plasma cutter again. I used the mill edges for 2 sides on each plate and only had to cut the other 2 sides to dimension. The scrap in between the cuts will be used for the tuning plates.

All that is left before constructing the firebox is to clean up the cut edges. I clamped the like dimensioned edges together using again the mill edges for square and am currently cleaning the cut edges together for symmetry.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05 10 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the firebox tacked together in the back side of the shop since the sawhorses wouldn't allow the shop door to close and had to get the beast up to the front of the shop. That thing is huge.

Once up front where I am going to finish it out and mount it I can use the hoist. I did a test fit and all seems to still be acording to plan.

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the firebox lid opening framed in and the firebox mounted. Good thing, I got worn out moving that thing around.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, she is looking great. Very Happy Your fire box looks like it made up real nice, great work. Smile I will be watching for some more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 10 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KAM. That is my sign I am still on the right track
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Wreckless learn this time? That it is time to clean the shop before I go much further. That if I am about to fall off a tall building, I should try and grab hold of an extension cord, any power tool with a cord, or a welding lead as it will surely get tangled in something and stop my descent.
Got the firebox lid cut, formed, mouted and hinged. It opens and closes wonderfully. Another success. Next will be frame in the door and form and mount a door for it.

PullinSmoke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get the outside of tank cleaned up ??
Thanks for posting your build
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, looking mighty fine Very Happy I like the fold down top very nice fit.
I know what you mean about straightening out the shop, I did that this evening. I got tired of tripping over everything and I was having a time keeping up with my essential tools.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PullinSmoke wrote:
How did you get the outside of tank cleaned up ??
Thanks for posting your build

Hey PS, You are welcome. I used an attachment called A Rapid Strip sold at Home Depot. They have them for an angle grinder and a drill attachment. It is like a rubberized ScothBrite pad. No idea why it worked so well, it was far better than any wire wheel I have used as the paint came off rather easily and it held up well also, I used 1 1/2 wheels for the whole tank. I would have liked hiring a sandblaster but this fit my shoestring budget well. I would not advize using a paint stripping chemical. In my case anyway, all the chemical crap did was turn the paint to sludge and upon drying, it was worse. I have used a rosebud before with some success tho I had to watch out for fumes ( Danger, Danger, Will Robinson). Quite possible the paint on these things contains lead.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13 10 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Wreckless. You're moving right along. I'll have to try out that Rapid Strip thing. I still have sand in my hair from my firebox blast. I know what you mean about straightening up the shop. I was working last night and had two angle grinders, the mig leads, and the stick welder tangled up like a 5 year old casting a baitcaster. What a pain!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14 10 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
... tangled up like a 5 year old casting a baitcaster. What a pain!

Funny visual slapout. You have a way with words on that one and it described it perfectly. Like any respectable 5 year old, when facing the task of cleaning my room, I ended up playing instead of cleaning and now the mess is a tad worse yet.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17 10 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more progress once I went shopping. The high dollar B&D angle grinder gave up the ghost first thing this AM and off I went to replace it with a succesful stop at the local steel supply yard. I got a 32" cut on a 7" OD 3/8" thk pipe and a nice scrap of 3' x 3' 3/4 #9 raised expanded metal for $.35 lb.
Got the door formed and hinged up and the first of 9 intake holes cutout. Should be quick now to finish the firebox.

slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20 10 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your firebox looks great Wreckless. My DeWalt angle grinder gave up the ghost too. I've had it for 3 years and bought it at a pawn shop for $25 so I think I got my $$$ worth. Keep up the pace.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20 10 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewalts are good if you don't mind holding the switch on. I have three with the same problem. Might see about getting them repaired. The B&D POS is going to the county dump.
And yet a little more progress. Got the side vent holes cut, baffles put in place and a twist lock door handle installed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: