FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another propane tank gives its life for the cause
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20 10 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
Your firebox looks great Wreckless. My DeWalt angle grinder gave up the ghost too. I've had it for 3 years and bought it at a pawn shop for $25 so I think I got my $$$ worth. Keep up the pace.

slapout, if it just quit it is probably the brushes. If you open the side plate you can remove the brush, when inspecting them if you notice a pin with a spring on it that is the I am worn out pin. You can pull that pin out and put it back together and run it for a while but it is better to replace the brushes so you do not burn out the armature.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20 10 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, your fire box is looking jam up my Friend Very Happy Very nice work indeed.

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21 10 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the brushes and pin K.A.M. I'll have to check that out.
Wreckless, I love the picture of your angle grinder lying on it's back under the firebox. It looks dead! I completely agree with K.A.M. on your fab work. It's shaping up nicely.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22 10 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM, Slapout, Thanks for the positive words. They do add to the enjoyment of doing this. No fun putting Chrome on your prized 4 x 4 etc. if no one notices right? Yup, fun stuff.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22 10 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of chrome Wreckless. I actually priced some 6" X 18" chrome turnouts for my stacks. The guy told me that his price was $140 each. As much as I'd like to do it, I'm gonna pass on that idea for now. Maybe find some in a junk yard. All I need is something to keep the rain out during a wet cook. I thought about posting it on my thread but a thought came to mind that my wife reads my thread and I would be in "hot water" for just thinking of it. After all, I told her this entire project would be made out of scrap I had lying around. Very Happy
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23 10 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout wrote:
Speaking of chrome Wreckless. I actually priced some 6" X 18" chrome turnouts for my stacks. The guy told me that his price was $140 each. As much as I'd like to do it, I'm gonna pass on that idea for now. Maybe find some in a junk yard. All I need is something to keep the rain out during a wet cook. I thought about posting it on my thread but a thought came to mind that my wife reads my thread and I would be in "hot water" for just thinking of it. After all, I told her this entire project would be made out of scrap I had lying around. Very Happy

The chrome would be way cool. Just be sure and ding up the $140 ones in strategic locations so as to pass muster with the wife when you bring them home and yet unseen once installed on the rig. Jeez...it is surely no wonder why I am no longer married. Rolling Eyes
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26 10 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...done messing with the firebox finally. Seems I spend more time standing around thinking of something else I can screw with rather than actually gittin 'er done. Oh well...knowing the distaste for the firebox to smoke chamber dampers that some of the afficionados here have, I had to do it anyway. Too many times I have had to holler " Get me a water bucket, this baby is close to melt down" There are also the few ( ?) times when the brewskis got the better of the cook and his attendants and a last minute rush on the grub was needed. I added the damper. it is backed up on the far side by stainless compression springs for friction. I didn't like the idea of trying to fine tune the friction using a double nut adjustment only. Guess I will see how the life span of the springs works out. Got some pretty hefty duty handles put on the sliding firebox inlet dampers. Also, as mentioned earlier, I had to redo my firebox height when I rotated the pit for better smoker door height and it put my inlet higher than I wanted so i added a deflector to put the inlet about 3" below the lower grill height. I think it will work fine. And lastly, I have the smokestack in place. Getting it plumb was the easy part. Getting the right opening configuration to stab it in was tough and a trial by error project and I still don't know if I learned enough to get it right straight out of the chute the next time around. It is starting to resemble something with which to prepare smoked chow tho, I am happy with it so far.

slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26 10 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty fine looking fab work my friend. Some of my favorite quotes come to mind here, "It's better to have and not need than to need and not have" and "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission". However, my favorite is "Indecision is the key to flexibility". I found that one on a wet-wipe at Hooters. Keep up the good work.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 10 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, your doing some awesome work right there Very Happy Your build is moving along very nicely. I will be looking for some more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 10 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapout...Nice words of wisdom and reassuring as to my mindset.
KAM ...thank you kindly. And that signature of yours is driving me nuts. Slow and steady is the only way I currently know how and the only thing preventing a major FUBAR but some speed would be nice.
grundan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 10 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Also, as mentioned earlier, I had to redo my firebox height when I rotated the pit for better smoker door height and it put my inlet higher than I wanted so i added a deflector to put the inlet about 3" below the lower grill height. I think it will work fine."

could you explain the quote above a little better? firebox height, meaning the placement of the box on the tank? what would be the optimum height for the firebox opening going into the tank? im gonna use a 24x24 square box on a 24"x65" tank.
doing lots of homework and putting pics in a file for my study. thanks for your input.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 10 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grundan wrote:
"Also, as mentioned earlier, I had to redo my firebox height when I rotated the pit for better smoker door height and it put my inlet higher than I wanted so i added a deflector to put the inlet about 3" below the lower grill height. I think it will work fine."

could you explain the quote above a little better? firebox height, meaning the placement of the box on the tank? what would be the optimum height for the firebox opening going into the tank? im gonna use a 24x24 square box on a 24"x65" tank.
doing lots of homework and putting pics in a file for my study. thanks for your input.

I was aiming for the top ID of the firebox to be 3" below the bottom cooking surface. I came up with that number in part from some other successful builds here and it just looked good. But a lot of other factors were in play. You must consider how far from the bottom of the box the fuel grate will be, I used 4", and how much room that will leave between the grate and the start of the inlet to the smoker. And then calculate how large of an opening you will need and then where that will put you. Using a picture is worth a thousand words, I used the poor mans autocad (excel spreadsheet) and shrunk the columns until the cells were square. I assigned 1" to each cell, used the drawing function and did my calculations from what I would need via Toms calculator here on the cooker page . Just be sure if you are building a trailer for it, you consider things such as trailer frame height ( My setup will be 19") and where that will leave you with ground clearance for the box. And then also consider where that will put your bottom smoker door height depending on whether you are using a 9:00 -12:00 orientation or something else. That is where you see my comments about rotating my orientation after the fact. I had to add lib due to my poor planning on door height. It all factors in. Hope that made some sense, sufficient enough to answer your question, short enough not to require no-doz.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 10 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Slapout...Nice words of wisdom and reassuring as to my mindset.
KAM ...thank you kindly. And that signature of yours is driving me nuts. Slow and steady is the only way I currently know how and the only thing preventing a major FUBAR but some speed would be nice.

About right now on my build I am thinking I wrote the book on slow and steady Laughing I am moving along but have not had much time to take pics. Maybe this weekend.

Hybrid Cooker
grundan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 10 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapout, I understand what your are talking about now. answered my question. Some of the variables I need to consider.
A. Height of the firebox
B. Height of grate in firebox
C. Height of opening between firebox and tank
D. Distance between bottom of cooking grate and top of opening.

I hate to hijack your thread. One more question. How far up --- and in should I cut my tank to recieve the firebox? 24" diameter tank. Is there a "rule of thumb"?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28 10 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grundan wrote:
Slapout, I understand what your are talking about now. answered my question. Some of the variables I need to consider.
A. Height of the firebox
B. Height of grate in firebox
C. Height of opening between firebox and tank
D. Distance between bottom of cooking grate and top of opening.

I hate to hijack your thread. One more question. How far up --- and in should I cut my tank to recieve the firebox? 24" diameter tank. Is there a "rule of thumb"?

Honestly. I copied KAM'S design for the most part. I was seriously concerned with how much of what I was seeing as a fairly large firebox, hanging out there in the wind ( 30" deep). I cut into mine right up to the factory seam where there was the most support. Once done, the possibilities fell into place and the damper door that I was already wanting found itself a happy home. Being fairly new at BBQ U., and even moreso with the propane tank design, most of what I do is a controlled winging it. A mix of preplanning and leaving myself with a plan "B"
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01 10 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has Wreckless learned this time........? That he has been severely slacking and moved this thread onto page 3. Also learned that eventually I was going to get tagged on a photo.
Got the shelves crafted and still in need of the ex metal but they pull out good so far naked. Had twist on one of the frames and I think I know where I went wrong. Not seen but also added a 2" x 8" inlet in the dead space above the firebox semi circle to maybe in a small way assist the top end balance and will have a sliding damper with the actuator located above/ near the other inlet damper handle
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 10 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still slacking off a bit but got a few things accompished. Got a good deal on some shaker grate mat'l and they even cut it somewhat close to size. it was a little warped tho and came up with a way to tweak it back. That stuff is thick.

So with that I almost have the grates done minus some handles and some stops. Only a slight clue as to how I am going to make the stops. But the shelves pull out nicely and straight so all is good.

Got the damper made for the smoke stack with a little strap added to it for positive close location and a wrap around handle for adjustment.
Also got some counterweights added on but still have to put end caps on and I am going to use Slapouts sand trick for final balance. The tough part was not so much getting the things plumb as it was design. All previous designs only got the door 1/2 open before they hit in the back, so these look a bit long but it was what I could make work. maybe if the sand adds enough weight I can shorten them. If I leave them long I may get the bro-n-law to waterjet me a "Wreckless" emblem to put in between the uprights to fill the space.

And finally, below is a pic of the extra damper cutout. I am going to put a rotating plate with the handle coming out just above the other damper handle. It should allow for fine tuning of the smoke / heat to cover the top half of the smoker so that I get an even flow top to bottom on the way to exiting the smokestack. The plate will open towards the end cap and the smoke should make a nice lit u-turn and back over the top racks if it works as I hope.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 10 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, I love the shaker grate material you chose for your grates Very Happy I am going to be interested in what you find out how your auxiliary hole into the cooking chamber performs. Your cooker is looking very nice. I will be watching for more updates.

Hybrid Cooker
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10 10 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting closer! That additional damper will definitely allow a little more heat/smoke into the chamber and be perfect for "fine" tuning. I like the idea of having something to "fiddle" with when I'm cooking. I could never get used to a "set it and forget it" UDS. Looking great Wreckless!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12 10 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM-Thanks...I am at the point where I have these ideas but no clue as to how they will work or look when finished but so far I think I have lucked out. The shaker grate mat'l was either going to look good or butt ugly. The aux. damper came about from the thread on here about smokestacks and flow. I put my stack middle ground and wanted to apply the same line of thinking on the other end, covering top and bottom.Instead of tuning plates, ........Tuning dampers. Plus they will allow ( If it works) for different temps I believe such as briskets over to chicken. We will see soon.
Slapout-I agree LOL Thanks for that. As I stated above, the variables might actually allow for a set it and forget it but that would be for someone else doing the chef duties. I have to mess with something periodically, looking kind of like the wizard of Oz cranking those levers behind that curtain.

fidget controls

and handles made from shaker mesh wire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: