FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sun Tan Lotion {Tandoori Style Goop}

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04 10 5:10 am    Post subject: Sun Tan Lotion {Tandoori Style Goop} Reply with quote

Mix up a Tandoori style goop, and try it on chicken. Whenever I do this I call it "Tan Lotion" or "Sunscreen".

Suntan Lotion:

Aprrox 4 large chicken breasts or 8 small breast or 8 thighs or 12 Drums skin on, skin off whatever.

1 small carton plain yogurt
2 - 3 tbsp spice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp vinegar
1 -2 tbsp lime or lemon juice

Mix that lot on a small bowl. Dip, slather, coat the chicken in "Suntan lotion", put in large bowl. Cover, and marinate at least a couple hours, preferably overnight in the fridge. It will look like this.

Using tongs, take out and place on grill. There should be goop left over, recoat chicken with the "suntan lotion" if needed. The Chicken should be evenly coated. Evenly coated will look like this.

According to Roxy.... The overnight bath in yogurt based goop will have the same marination thang going on as a Buttermilk marinade. IT is also the same concept as a Mustard Slather. The Emulsion holds onto you spices, and sticks to the meat.

Cooked, it will look like this..

That particular batch in the photos had 2 cartons of yogurt, and 50% more of the other ingredients. Skin off, and the meat was still moist with a 180F pull.

The "Tan" is because its essentially chicken tandoori... but its not full on 100% authentic Tandoori so you drop the "doori" if you arent using Tandoori spice.

ANY blend of spices that you would normally use can be used. What you call your "tan lotion" is entirely up to you.

If you do it with Paprika its "Hungarian Sun Screen", with Tandoori spice its still "Tandoori Goop" but could be called "Indian Suntan lotion", With Jamaican Jerk seasoning I guess it might be called "Jerk Lotion", and if Alien ever cooks this stuff .. presumably with Jalepeno powder, Wasabi and lime juice Wink He would call it "Alien Tan lotion", or "Area fiddy one sunscreen.

I cook this at lower slower temps, 225 - 250F or so for about 3 hrs.. 300F would be fine. Grilled at 400+ would be fine too. OR go all out traditional with Ceramic Egg Rocking 600-700F for about 30 minutes. Its all good.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04 10 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a tandoori style oven for my outdoor kitchen............hummmmmmm Wink
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friends {and everyone on the Ring} are going to nickname it something like "Chernobyl Oven", "Tandoor Reactor", or "Warp Drive"... so pick out a name of you like best and beat them to the punch. Wink

About 3 or 4 Don Marco cooks back he test drove some cable skewers. They sound perfect for dangling meat into a Tandoor Oven.

Since you got one of these, you likely know where to get Tandoori Seasoning... for everyone else who might read this.. Locally, Safeway should have "Sharwoods" brand in the bright red spice bottle, in a very small Indian section of the "Ethnic" Aisle. For those that mix their own rubs/seasonings... the only spice in Tandoori that you might not have handy is Fenugreek.

I am thinking, that you could dip anything in "sun screen" before dipping it in a Tandoor reactor. ABT's, Moink balls, shiska bobs etc.. Kinda like how everything that is cooked at a Sushi joint is dipped in tempura and fried.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05 10 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Tan Lotion {Tandoori Style Goop} Reply with quote

Rojellio Es Caliente wrote:
With Jamaican Jerk seasoning I guess it might be called "Jerk Lotion"

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Or not...

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
Bunqui
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Tan Lotion {Tandoori Style Goop} Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:

Or not...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38
Nightshade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18 10 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Tan Lotion {Tandoori Style Goop} Reply with quote

JimmieOhio wrote:

Or not...

everybody should use a little lotion when jerking their chicken Shocked Embarassed Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: