FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

Fascinating look at a successful roadside BBQ vendor in the North Carolina.

I saw this featured on Food Network a ways back, and got a kick out of the set-up and delivery.

http://www.redsbarbeque.com/default.htm
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Fascinating look at a successful roadside BBQ vendor in the North Carolina.

I saw this featured on Food Network a ways back, and got a kick out of the set-up and delivery.

http://www.redsbarbeque.com/default.htm

I looks like Red's BBQ is doing a bang up business, but it also looks like Red's employees are handling RTE food with their bare hands? Shocked

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Sauced!
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work right down the street from his spot in uptown charlotte. I've eaten it once or twice. Nothing great, just your standard choppped Carolina bbq.
CarolinaQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 10:34 am    Post subject: Chicken: Reply with quote

Chicken - 3 hours - 450 degrees? That has to be a mistake, right? Or a recipe for blackend and burnt chicken, one!
Weber Kettle
KCBS CBJ
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20 10 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

Bestiverhad wrote:

I looks like Red's BBQ is doing a bang up business, but it also looks like Red's employees are handling RTE food with their bare hands? Shocked

Contrary to popular belief, bare-handed contact is allowable in many places when you submit a hand sanitation plan in writing to you inspector, and the inspector approves of your procedures.
I have gotten a variance written for that in several places that I have worked. it is not difficult to do, and I bet if you read your local food codes a little closer, you will most likely find the same thing.
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream set-up.
10 until 2 and sold out!
He'd do better with 2 less employees in there. Cool
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Bestiverhad wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, bare-handed contact is allowable in many places when you submit a hand sanitation plan in writing to you inspector, and the inspector approves of your procedures.
I have gotten a variance written for that in several places that I have worked. it is not difficult to do, and I bet if you read your local food codes a little closer, you will most likely find the same thing.

Thanks Harry, I didn't know that.
Just the same, there's something about touching RTE food with bare hands that just doesn't set right with me.

kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size gloves do you wear when you cook for your family?

I understand what you are saying but I think people get a false sense of security because someone wears gloves.

Reminds me of the grocery store. You know the "wipe" station that enables you to wipe down the grocery cart. I laugh every time I see people doing that. Are they wiping down everything else in the store? The cans, boxes, money in their purse etc.?
New Braunfels El Dorado
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Reminds me of the grocery store. You know the "wipe" station that enables you to wipe down the grocery cart. I laugh every time I see people doing that. Are they wiping down everything else in the store? The cans, boxes, money in their purse etc.?

I agree, you can take some things to an extreme.

But how about that kid sitting in the grocery seat with the leaky diaper?

Is that really where you want your produce and eggs? Confused Shocked Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I posted this as an example of someone doing legal roadside vending.

And while some of the methods are debatable (I found the look of the sauce bottles to be not to my standards) it is the proper way to get-r-done if you intend to roadside vend.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to his catering page and I am not trying to stir the pot, but I can't believe this --------
Quote:

*$800.00 minimum for Turnkey Catering - Catering services include 2 hours of service. Minimum does not apply to delivery services. Catering subject to addition of 25% gratuity.

VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quote from Red's
Quote:

Unlike many other caterers, we make out products from scratch and prepare them fresh daily from our commissary.

Imagine that and how extremely unusual Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink

A breath of fresh air, thanks for posting bbqman.. Rolling Eyes Cool
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke wrote:
Another quote from Red's
Quote:

Unlike many other caterers, we make out products from scratch and prepare them fresh daily from our commissary.

Imagine that and how extremely unusual Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink

A breath of fresh air, thanks for posting bbqman.. Rolling Eyes Cool

Your certainly welcome Louie!

You know, I'm looking for a great price on a farm.

I can grow my own produce.
Raise chickens for meat and eggs
Raise my own pigs, beef, lamb
Install a grist meal for flour
Acquire a bakery to make fresh bread and rolls

We have already been there, done that a time or two, no?
Very Happy
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21 10 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep once or twice Bbqman..btw good luck with the farm.. Razz
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

Bestiverhad wrote:

Just the same, there's something about touching RTE food with bare hands that just doesn't set right with me.

Can anyone specify the date when this whole "Foodhandler glove" thing started?
Funny how I do not remember people falling over dead or getting deathly ill from eating at restaurants before the glove craze started.
And does anyone remember when their health inspectors made everyone get rid of wood cutting boards and forced plastic to be used? Low & behold a university study finds unsealed wood is more sanitary than plastic ever could be. And the real kicker is that the older the wooden cutting board, the better it is at killing dangerous bacteria.

Sure now everyone wears gloves, but they are causing more cross-contamination issues then when bare-handed contact was accepted by the H-D.

Walk into any fast food place and look around at all the employees wearing gloves doing tasks other then handling food, and using those same glove to assemble your burger as when they were mopping out the turd-house. Why is the girl at the register wearing gloves, and helping make burgers with those same gloves, how about the guy hauling out garbage wearing those same gloves, or the other guy trying to get the duck butter out of his shorts wearing those same gloves that he'll use to grab your drink cup by the rim.
YUM!! would you like a side of fecal matter that was transferred from those gloves to your food?
66dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying but I think people get a false sense of security because someone wears gloves.

Thats why McDonalds employees do not wear gloves
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Bestiverhad wrote:

Can anyone specify the date when this whole "Foodhandler glove" thing started?
Funny how I do not remember people falling over dead or getting deathly ill from eating at restaurants before the glove craze started.
And does anyone remember when their health inspectors made everyone get rid of wood cutting boards and forced plastic to be used? Low & behold a university study finds unsealed wood is more sanitary than plastic ever could be. And the real kicker is that the older the wooden cutting board, the better it is at killing dangerous bacteria.

Sure now everyone wears gloves, but they are causing more cross-contamination issues then when bare-handed contact was accepted by the H-D.

Walk into any fast food place and look around at all the employees wearing gloves doing tasks other then handling food, and using those same glove to assemble your burger as when they were mopping out the turd-house. Why is the girl at the register wearing gloves, and helping make burgers with those same gloves, how about the guy hauling out garbage wearing those same gloves, or the other guy trying to get the duck butter out of his shorts wearing those same gloves that he'll use to grab your drink cup by the rim.
YUM!! would you like a side of fecal matter that was transferred from those gloves to your food?

Wow, I'm starting to feel sorry for posting my 'Opinion' about bare handed food handling.
Maybe I'm anal about it, but I don't like to see some minimum wage teen handling my RTE food with bare hands. The gloves may, or may not make a difference, but to me it does, so when I'm making sandwiches for instance, I wear a glove on my left hand and use serving spoons or tongs in the right. I have recieved comments from people that seem to appreciate this.
I assume there is a reason why doctors wear gloves for surgery, but what do I know?

'Duck butter'... That's funny.

Last edited by Bestiverhad on Mon Mar 22 10 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reds Mobile BBQ- North Carolina Style Reply with quote

University of WI correct? I remember that quite well.

I always like how something becomes the de-facto standard when there is no evidence to back it up.

Harry Nutczak wrote:

New Braunfels El Dorado
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking for 14 hours & mustard in the sauce........two things that certainly aren't "North Carolina style".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: