FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-conditioning my Fat 50 (w/pics - Updated 4-6-10)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphaking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the stuff I bought. It looks like they have a few colors available including red. Again, I was only able to find this stuff at autozone.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=371

Another one I saw in multiple colors was a Sherwin Williams paint called VHT.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html

This one is a ceramic coating for headers/exhaust manifold that is also available in multiple colors. It was a little more (around $10 a can) and seemed to require a little more care during application. Theyre both rated up to 2000*, I just went with the Rustoleum.
Blackstone Griddle
Stumps Baby (Sold)
Large BGE x3 (Sold)
Medium BGE (Sold)
Primo Oval XL (Sold)
Lang 84D (Sold)
bigric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. What kind of coverage did you get with those spray cans? I'm getting rolling on my project and am trying to figure out how much paint I need, or if I should just get a gallon, thin it, and spray it.
Mattytee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. - Thanks for the feedback, I'm pretty happy with the outcome too, seems like it's just a bit of curface crud and the metal is solid underneath. So far the paint is looking pretty good too, very happy with the finish.

yndio - I ended up using the pint can and a roller. The finish is called "Satin Black" and it does have a good satin finish, what I would call less glossy than semi-gloss but more than eggshell. I'll get the Dim's to the upper rack later this week or over the weekend, no problem at all. I agree, the previous owner used it hard! I think there is a good story to tell here about the overall "fixerupability" of these units. I also thought about some reds or bronze or something different. I am debating painting my company logo on the side vs getting a steel sign made. In that case I'll definitely be looking for some colors!

polishdon - I am just outside Rochester. Good to see another New Yorker here. Not too many of us stick-burners up in these parts!

alphaking - The label on these cans shows slightly different temps. The regular BBQ Black in the spray can and the Satin Black in the pint can show up to 1000*. The "Ultra" which is just a black color shows up to 1200*. I cooked this weekend and ran the smoke box up to 330 or so a couple times, had a good sized fire in there and no problems at all, no peeling, bubbling, etc. We'll see how she looks later this summer though, that will be a true test. There is some discoloration above the doors from a poor seal where heat and smoke are escaping. That is just on the surface though, nothing coming from the metal.

bigric - coverage was actually pretty good - I would say you could apply a good coat to about 1/2 of the firebox with one can. Say 2-3 to give yourself a couple coats. That first one is just sucked right into the metal but you still need to be careful not to lay it on too thick. I also got a good bit of the upper basket done with one can which included wasting alot by spraying the expanded metal. Someone suggested rolling the expanded which is much better.

Weather is warming back up so hope to finish up the brush work on the front half and start prep on the cook box and rear basket.
Mattytee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07 10 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the weather improved here this weekend, so much so that I was able to spend a couple days outside and finish her up. I'm fairly happy with the paint, at least initially it seems to be holding up OK. If you re planning on using the rustoleum in the quart can I recommend a roller with a very low nap. I used a 3/8" initially and it came out fairly splotchy. I went over it with a 1/4" nap and it looked much better.

I also spent some time with a bottle of brasso and my polishing wheel. I was able to take a good it of the rusting and corrosion out of the wheels and the carbon ring from around the top of the smoke stacks. I also had a little surprise when I polished up the gas line between the burners and found a beautiful piece of brass! You can see it in the photos. Now I need to find something to tune up the gas lines that are hanging between the frame and the burners.

Overall it was a fun project. The bottom line is underneath some surface rust there is alot of life left in this beast!

Matt

Here is the inside of one of the wheels.

The outside of a wheel before polishing. You can see some of the rust and corrosion

The wheel after polishing

The burners in operation. Note the brass connecting tube for the gas line

All painted and ready to go

day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07 10 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Outstanding work there, Mattytee! Your rig looks amazing after the rehab! A real beauty you can be proud of! Very Happy

Cheers!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07 10 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to clean the burners?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08 10 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work. That is a pit anyone would be proud to own.
Mattytee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

day_trippr - Thanks! It was alot of fun and turned out about as well as I could have expected.

daddywoofdawg - I used a wire wheel on my cordless drill to brush off as much of the rust as I could. When I saw mostly bare metal I could see it was cast iron. I wiped them down with oil and put them in the oven for about 90 minutes at 325. They came out like you see them, factory fresh and weatherproof. I may have to continue to spray them down to continue the seasoning process but not a huge deal, anything will look better than the rust that was there before.

zysmith - Thanks for the comments, I am very happy with her so far, still learning how she runs but that is half the fun.
joshsheff1
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding job Matt. It looks better than new!
Big Green Egg
Reverse flow smoker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man you cleaned that thing up lookin better then new
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: