FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firebox positioning question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy69z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 2:21 am    Post subject: Firebox positioning question Reply with quote

I have a 30" diameter x 67" long tank. I used the calculator to get some needed dimensions, and I have figured the opening needed going into the cook chamber. My question is, does the top of the firebox need to be at the top of the opening, or can it be higher as in 3-4". As I look at other pits it seems the opening is down a little inside the firebox. Reason I ask, is that it will help on the firebox from being too low to the ground if it does NOT have to be at the top of the firebox.

Also, how much would it hurt performance if the firebox volume was smaller than 1/3 the cooking volume. The calculator comes up I should go 27tx24wx24d, but it would work out better for me metal wise to go 24x24x24.
Hath

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im building one with the same size tank.... ide go 30 wide by 24 high and 24 deem... the reason.. the tank is easier to cut 30 inch wide for the firebox... if you lay it out right on the sheet you can get 4- 24x30 inch size plates to weld togather.. this leaves an 18inch by 8 foot plate that can be used for one half of the reverse flow plate (if you are doing RF) then you need another 2 pieces 24x24 to finish the box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: