FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 Caveman BBQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 9:09 pm    Post subject: 2011 Caveman BBQ Reply with quote

Every summer my wife and I throw the "Caveman BBQ", where I smoke a ton of ribs, make some salt potatoes, and corn on the cob. When the food hits the table, you aren't allowed to talk. You have to point and grunt! There are no utensils, hands only (including any dishes to pass)! If you're caught talking, something is getting thrown in your general direction!

This took place this past saturday, July 9th, and it was done my new Stumps Clone. It is nice not to have to do this on my little brinkman smoke n pit, in 6 rack batchs for 24 hours. Doing it one shot was awesome! I have a few pics, but not a ton (unfortunately).

Fri: Procured the ribs and various other food stuffs. Got it home and stowed away until I was ready to prep it.

36 racks in the fridge!

Can you say ABT's?!!?!!!?

An hour later and all 80 are made up!

Back in the fridge along with all of the now prepped ribs. We removed the membrane (I hate that job), rubbed them down, then put them back in foodsaver vacuum sucked bags.

What good is a BBQ without any beer? Here are the 7 kegs of homebrew waiting to go on tap. Waiting to go on tap: 2 kegs of the House Citra Pale Ale, 2 kegs of a Franziskaner clone, a keg of Rye Pale ale, a keg of Maibock, and a keg of Pilsner.

But they'll have to wait until one of the three kegs already on are kicked! Already on tap: House Citra Pale Ale, Dark Lager, Dry Irish Stout.

Sat: After a refreshing nights sleep (I could really get used to this!), it's time to get the smoker ready! Step one, remove the solid plug on the back of the smoke chamber.

Pass the probe wire through the hole.

Wrap the rubber stopper around the probe wire, and push it into the hole on the inside of the smoke chamber.

Take the split plug, run the probe wire through it, and screw it back into the plug on the outside of the smoker chamber. Then plug it into the Stoker.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HS0ZVc8yPv4/ThrqTF8HpCI/AAAAAAAAAjc/SBbhbZRFdjs/solid_split_plugs.jpg

Place the hopper in the top of the chute, and load the chute with charcoal (wegmans lump) and wood chunks (weber applewood), alternating the layers.

Now it's time to light this sucker. Here's our "lighting assembly".

Pulled the burner out of an unused turkey fryer, welded it to a piece of steel so it sits right below the fire grate in the firebox. Hook the hose up to the propane tank on the front of the rig, turn it on and light her up. Takes a whopping minute to get the bottom coals lit enough to get the whole setup running.

Man, she looks empty...

Ribs warming as the smoker comes up to temp.

Loading up the last rack!

A full smoker is a happy smoker!

4 and a half hours later, and they're done!

And out on the table, all the newbies (to the party) snapping pics!

I have no further pictures from this point on. But, there was much pointing, grunting, and throwing of food (mainly the reason the camera wasn't out). Well, that, and we drink "a little" at this event. Out of the 10 kegs, we had 2 1/2 left at the end of the night.

Oh, and we had the local radio station come by the event as well! We were the MMR Block Party for the weekend (for those in philly). Got some free beer (labatt blue light, not bad), and a ton of free swag. i have enough beer coozies to last a while, and a TON of frisbees.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the "Best Block Party".
At least the cops didn't show up, and tell you that, "This is the Best Party we've busted all weekend" Embarassed Laughing
Groceries look awesome. That Caveman theme is something I'm gonna try one of these days.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Congrats on the "Best Block Party".
At least the cops didn't show up, and tell you that, "This is the Best Party we've busted all weekend" Embarassed Laughing
Groceries look awesome. That Caveman theme is something I'm gonna try one of these days.
ehh, they did a driveby around 11:30. I got the point, and ushered everyone either into the garage for flip cups/beer pong, or into the house for general bullchiting. Laughing

the theme though came from my father. Only did it once, but it was a blast when we were kids. So now it's an adult party theme! Every year sees more and more people show up. Supposedly my SIL has an "in" at the food network (she's in PR). We're going to see what we can do to get it on TV next year. Fingers crossed!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you didn't get a video and post it to youtube. That would have been great and might have even got you on one of the morning news shows.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Too bad you didn't get a video and post it to youtube. That would have been great and might have even got you on one of the morning news shows.

the "enthusiasm" around the food fight kind of negates any electronics near this event!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 11 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 11 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

i resized them all to 640x480 before i uploaded them. It's still not correct?
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12 11 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds and looks like a fun time and even better food. Nice job.

Traeger 075
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: