FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rod Selection Confusion - HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rykymus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 3:21 am    Post subject: Rod Selection Confusion - HELP Reply with quote

Guys,

As you may have read in previous posts, I purchased a used Lincoln AC225S stick welder. In prep for our build, my father in law and I built a few things to practice welding. (A small stool to sit on when we weld, a small fitup jig, etc...) We've just been using some Lincoln 3/32" 6013's thus far. (The welder sure holds a nice easy arc with them.) But we are having a debate about what rods to use during the build. My father in law thinks that we need a thicker rod for thicker metals, but I was under the impression that for thicker metals I needed a different, deeper penetrating rod, like a 6011, and that the thickness meant more flux therefore a thicker bead on your weld. We're going to be building a firebox using 1/4" plate, and the tank is 3/8". We'll also be using 1/8" angle and straps, etc... Any advice would be most welcome.
Troupey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/32" or even 1/8" 7014 is a great rod for all positions on 1/4" material. Use the 1/8" on the 3/8" tank.
Jet_deck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What welding rod numbers mean for those that might not know :

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/FM_handbook/577fm1_2.htm

Stumps Clone - Rotisserie Version
WSM
http://www.radiofreetexas.org/
Backyard Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 1/8 6011 on my firebox. It's 1/4 inch plate.While I'm not a professional welder by any means my thinking is if you're not penetrating the metal the weld wont hold good. I have also used some small 6011 rods not sure of the size but they're smaller then 3/32. They penetrate also but you have to turn the heat down for the smaller ones and they burn up pretty fast.

My .02 cents worth
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rykymus, You are not welding anything really structural so rod selection is a low priority. The 6013's are low penetration rods. On your fire box if you are using new steel the 1/8'' 6013 will penetrate plenty good for this application. You can run a root pass with a 6011 and grind down the weld and cap with the 6013. This way you will be assured of a good penetration and a finished cap.

Hybrid Cooker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with my DC welder I weld my stringer with 6010 and cap with 7018
I just like lo hi makes a nice weld but 5P+ is not that bad of a all around rod but i have a dc welder and know nothing about AC rod
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops I should have read your post better you have an AC machine so you can delete or disregard my reply
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 7014's myself. 1/8" or 3/16" should work and the 7014s look real nice too. I started out using 6013's but after i switched to the others I dont think I will be going back any time soon. Best thing about the 7014s if you are not great at welding you can drag the rod and get a good arc length so it will simplify things a lot.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rykymus, the rod size is just that, the flux grows proportionately with the size. Go with the 1/8" for the firebox inside, that's a lot of welding and you are gonna wear yourself out going any smaller. And tho no two machines are alike, I have the same unit and run 120A for the 60 series and 135A for a 70 as long as blow thru is not a problem, in which case, crank it down one notch. A cold weld will do you more harm possiby and probably more than any rod type selection, but the type of rod was already posted and covered previously by the guys in the know. I also use a semi- open corner joint a lot on the outside which gets ground down for a formed finish appearance and a 3/32" works well there.
Troupey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26 10 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like k.a.m. said, this is not structural welding, so what you really want is a good appearance on your cooker. 6013 and 7014 are just that a great appearance rod and if you get the heat and speed right, the slag practically removes itself. 7018 looks good also, but they are hard to restart the arc if you don't use the whole rod in one shot and the slag is a little harder to remove. Just use enough heat for a good penetration and go to town.
alldaymckay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/32 6010 +++

I just reskined a large crane at work and used this on all the angle and 10 gauge plate. it welds down hill beautifully and made all my seams seamless.
stacks up nice and much easier to grind flush than 7018 less heat also, so less likely to tweak what your building.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 10 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I have wondered, I took welding classes back in the 70's and haven't welded since,my question is with MiG is the wire the same as with rod?I.E 60xx 70xx etc.or is all wire the same other than flux or non flux.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19 10 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know they are pretty much all the same.

You can have

Solid wire with shielding gas
Self shielding flux core
Gas shielded flux core

According to millers website they recommend gas shielded flux core for thicker material and out of position welding (overhead and vertical up).

I think the same holds true for self shielding flux core as well.

They make a bunch of different wires for different applications. You can get solid wire with deoxidizers in to tolerate millscale dirt etc.

Dual shielding seems to be the method of choice for strong low H welds that can be x ray quality etc.

I am not a mig expert by any means, but it does not appear that there is any naming convention like there is with stick electrodes ex 7018 telling you the tensil strength of 70000, positions, etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: