FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Country Style Ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 12:50 am    Post subject: Country Style Ribs Reply with quote

How many pounds of country style ribs (pre-cooked weight) do I need for 40 people? Should I expect the same meat yield (approximately 50%) that I would get with a butt? I know they will cook a lot faster than a butt. Thanks.

Gerry D
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will cook in less than half the time and can handle a higher temp. Not sure about the yield, but the amount you need will also depend on the size of the CSR, assuming you are serving 1-2 pieces per person.
Gerry D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking, 2 per person at most with a 10% overage. So about 90 "ribs".

Gerry D
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country-style ribs are a butt that has been cut with a saw to resemble the shape of a rib.

I would go about estimating your needs by the piece as opposed to weights, I would expect each person to take one or two pieces on average.

how to estimate pieces? buy a package od C-S ribs, divide that weight by the number of peices and interpolate from there.
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry D wrote:
Thats what I was thinking, 2 per person at most with a 10% overage. So about 90 "ribs".

Thats what we do with St Louis ribs avg 2 bones per and usually 12 bones per rack for guesstamation purposes..your 2 "rib" pc's per should be plenty for any crew..

Last edited by Louie3 on Tue Mar 30 10 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Country-style ribs are a butt that has been cut with a saw to resemble the shape of a rib.

Actually Harry, unless they are cut from a different part than what is done in Canada (I cut meat with a butcher 3 days a week), we use the rib end of the pork loin. We first cut, with the saw, through the middle of the rib bones, then with a knife we cut almost all the way through the meat and then "butterfly" it. This is Country Style ribs in Manitoba Canada. Yours may be something different.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin Jim wrote:
Quote:

Actually Harry, unless they are cut from a different part than what is done in Canada (I cut meat with a butcher 3 days a week), we use the rib end of the pork loin. We first cut, with the saw, through the middle of the rib bones, then with a knife we cut almost all the way through the meat and then "butterfly" it. This is Country Style ribs in Manitoba Canada. Yours may be something different.

Down here in Florida, they are cut from the shoulder, most of the time from the butt end, like Harry's.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
smokin Jim wrote:
Quote:

Down here in Florida, they are cut from the shoulder, most of the time from the butt end, like Harry's.

Same here, country style ribs are from the shoulder out here in Utah.

I still work here!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To not totally discount Smokin Jim's statement,
Yes I have seen country style ribs that did include the forward-most part of the backloin where it reaches the shoulder area, But mostly it is the Boston butt which is cut into strips with the blade bone in it.

as for meat terminology, many meat-cutters have taken creative license with what they call many things these days, Lets use "London Broil" as an example, down south a "London Broil" refers to a steak from the round.
When I know it as a way of cooking a piece of less than prime meat, a good example is by pounding out a flank steak, and rolling it up with butter in it, and cutting it into pinwheels, broiling it, and serving it with a mushroom demi-glace
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
smokin Jim wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I know what you were saying, it just sounded funny when i read this part. Laughing Laughing

BTW, same here...cut from the butt. and no, not Harry's Shocked Laughing Laughing
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat a lot of CSR and most of the time my family and friends eat 1 thick rib a piece and on this the shrinkage doesn't really come into play there about the same size going in as coming out of the smoker.And down here they are butts cut into slices.and around here a london broil is the flat of a brisket.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were originally done as Jim does them. Somewhere a long the way they switched to butts or who knows what. Probably around the time they quit putting actual sugar in soda. Smile
New Braunfels El Dorado
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW , I have actually seen both cuts as CSR’s here side by side in the display case.

And they are putting sugar back into soda! Wink

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31 10 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
CrazyChef wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I know what you were saying, it just sounded funny when i read this part. Laughing Laughing

BTW, same here...cut from the butt. and no, not Harry's Shocked Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31 10 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
FWIW , I have actually seen both cuts as CSR’s here side by side in the display case.

Me too. The loin cut is usually more expensive and of a lighter color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: