FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rubbery skin!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukefan4life
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 1:32 am    Post subject: rubbery skin!!! Reply with quote

Okay I know this subject has got to have been discussed before but since I am too lazy and sorry to search for it I am asking all the pros on here (and the amatuers as well) what is the best way to keep the skin on my smoked chicken crispy. I have smoked 2 now and both have been rather rubbery. I brine for 24hrs, wash and dry off, then leave unwrapped for 24hrs, then rub the bird down with olive oil and rub. I have smoked both birds @ 300* till the juices run clear. The meat is great but I really want to get that taste of the skin in there also. Thanks for all the advice that you guys give. I am almost ready to start doing some catering and I owe alot of it to you guys on here giving up the great tips.

Last edited by dukefan4life on Tue Mar 30 10 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these whole chickens or parts? If it's parts then put em on a grill to crisp up the skin. FYI I've brushed olive oil on turkey twice and got nicely browned crisp skin, so I guess I don't understand why you did'nt esp. cooking at 300F.
dukefan4life
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry man I thought I put in my post they were whole chickens. Did you brush that on the chicken after you had the bird on the smoker?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook it hot! Wink

I still work here!
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30 10 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pull the skin off chicken and marinade it before I smoke it. I have to agree with the others that you will have to grill it to get crisp skin. Maybe smoke til it is nearly done and then grill it.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: