FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potiential New Joint Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anastasis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 7:31 am    Post subject: Potiential New Joint Question Reply with quote

Me and my friends have been toying around with the idea of starting a small barbecue joint. We have found that in our area, there isn't any real barbecue places other than Sonny's and most people we talk to really don't like sonny's.

We have done our homework and have began developing the estimated costs and one thing keeps bothering me and I cant seem to find an answer.

Things that cook over night, how do you determine what quantity to cook? The idea of cooking too much and wasting food is something that doesn't sit well with me, and neither does cooking too little. Is it all just a complicated guessing game?? Someone help me out or point me in the right direction!
kingconsulting
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come up with some recipes to deal with the extra leftovers? Brunswick stew?
New Braunfels El Dorado
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a guessing game.
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will come in time as you discover the traffic, in the meantime lean towards less and when you're sold out you're sold out..
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15 10 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things you can do right from the get go that will help.

If you are mostly doing pulled / sliced or chopped pork, but you also want to do ribs, you could do a set amount on a daily basis, but also do pre-order on the ribs, or on whole butts, etc. By getting folks to pre-order in advance you can make a small increase to cover that extra on the day in question.

If you normally do 12 racks of ribs in a day and some one wants 30 racks, get them to put 50% down when they order, this will more than cover the cost of the meat.

IMO it is better to be know as the place that cooks and serves, and as things run out, they sell out and go home, and you start serving at 11 and close by 7 every day, than be the place that feeds the local food bank 5 days a week.

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: