FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to move my exhaust location?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiimi62

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 8:26 am    Post subject: How to move my exhaust location? Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently got a hold of a nice pig roasting pit. It is a 250 oil tank laid on its side. It has volzelgang stove doors on either end, a nice rack and wood trim. The lid opens easily has solid hinges, and welded overlapping flaps to seal tightly. Its on a small pull behind trailer and everything is welded and painted nice.

The only problem is that it was deigned for roasting pigs over open coals so the exhaust stack is on center about a 1/3 of the way out from the back. I have tried all different ways of indirect cooking on it and have found that putting the fire far to one side, and the meat (pork butts and chuck roasts) far to the other works the best. Everything seals up pretty nice and she holds temp pretty well.

But the smoke and heat exhausts before it gets to the meat. There is plenty of smoke and it definitely flavors the meat but not as much as it could, and I think I waste fuel because a lot of the heat is drawn out before reaching the meat, so I have to burn it hotter. There is a thermometer on the lid in-line with the chimney and I have a thermo on the rack next to meat. The lid temp is always much hotter than the rack temp, I think if i could draw the air across further I would heat more evenly.

I want to move the exhaust intake inside the chamber to the far side away from the fire. What materials should I look for at the hardware store? I know nothing galvanized, but how about wood stove pipe? I think I read somewhere ppl were using flex tubing of some sort? I don't know how to weld, but can easily drill and screw/bolt something in. I would need a 90 elbow and about 2-3 feet of tubing.

Will this extra tubing help improve the exhaust draw, or does that only work for outside the pit? The current chimney is about 3 feet long and 3 in diameter.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiimi62, I believe I understand your current set up. But can you post some pics of the current stack inside and out?

Hybrid Cooker
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try putting a damper on the stack it would help the flow some,and check your temp gauges.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Jiimi62

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy, Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that flow is the problem, and adding a damper would only reduce my flow. I like to keep my exhaust wide open to prevent smothering the fire and producing a funky taste.

KAM i'll try and get some real pics up, for now I drew up (really bad, my apologies) a little diagram of my set up. The dashed arrows and pipe is what I would like to add to my rig. The fire is in the bottom left, the meat on the rack on the right.

The solid arrows are how the air currently flows. I can get a decent flavor and heat if i put the meat directly under the chimney, but that limits how much I can put on the rack and i would like to keep it as far away from the fire as possible to help with even cooking.

Adding a firebox one day would be nice, but is not possible right now. I have tried all different locations and arrangements of fire/meat and this seems to work the best.

Jiimi62

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19 10 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to describe the stack. I re-measured it, and it is 4" pipe, it appears to be about 1/4 inch thick or so. only about 1/2" protrudes inside the lid, so most likely anything I add would either need to fit inside the current pipe, or I would have to make a coupler of some sort to fit inside both pieces.

I"m pretty sure I can figure out a way to make it stay in place. My concern is what materials to use. I have read some places that people use dryer duct on a Char-griller. How well does that work, and will it hold up?

What about wood stove pipe? I'm just cautious because this will be inside the pit, and I don't want to give off any chemicals.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20 10 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiimi62, You can use stove pipe it does come in what we call black iron and not galvanized. If you could fit a 90 over the existing stack maybe you could drill and run some self tapping screws to hold your adapter up.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: