FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allen and Son's, Chapel Hill NC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 7:53 am    Post subject: Allen and Son's, Chapel Hill NC Reply with quote

I understand there are two locations with distinct differences between them, so let me make it clear that I am reviewing the location at:

6203 Millhouse Road
Chapel Hill, NC
919-942-7576

Looks nice from the outside, tucked away on a corner with no other businesses anywhere in sight. Nestled into the trees and shrubs, I would imagine this is what Bilbo's BBQ joint would look like in the Shire. As I got a little closer, it looked like the faded sign on the front of the building might have been painted to look aged instead of actually being aged, so I was a little wary. I did take it as a good sign that I had to look both ways for traffic, as I had to park in the gravel lot across the road.

Ordered the rib plate with slaw, hushpuppies and fries. It came as a half rack (6 bones) of very meaty, St Louis cut spares. I have a habit of tasting the sauce with my finger and was starting to get a little worried, as the first little dab was pretty "ketchup-py". Hang on, it gets better.

As noted, the ribs were generously meaty. They were not cut at all in the kitchen, so I had to use my fork and knife to separate the bones. Most restaurants now serve their ribs either right at or past "falling off the bone" doneness, not here. They were nice and tight, a very good "bite clean" with very nice texture. Not a lot of obvious rub, but the meat was very tasty with just the right amount of smokiness, enough for flavor, but not overwhelming. The sauce, which I didn't care for on its own, was a nice compliment to the ribs. If you want more, you'll have to ask for it, as they don't put any sauce on the table (I didn't think they needed any more at all). Best restaurant ribs I've had in a while. if you're looking for a super tender rib, go to Chili's, as for me, I'll stop back here when I'm in town.

The fries were crunchy and very good, although their color was almost so brown as to be slightly off-putting. One big knock: GIVE ME HEINZ KETCHUP! Hunt's is for people who don't love their momma.

The hushpuppies were good and crispy, although they did become a little heavy as they sat (it must take a lot of frying to get them that crunchy). Good, but I couldn't eat my last couple, as they became noticeably greasy as they sat.

The slaw was mayo based (thankfully, because I hate that red crap they serve in some place in the Carolinas as a test of how much you'll put up with to eat BBQ). It was almost sweet, but not quite, with a very nice tang and peppery bite; they weren't shy with the black pepper and I thank them for it. I guessed that they used sugar and vinegar, but when I asked the guy at the counter (the waitress was useless to help me out), it turns out they just used apple cider vinegar. I'm betting that there's some apple juice in there as well, but in any case, it was very tasty. I'd order crummy BBQ if they had this slaw to eat on the side.

Sweet tea was also very good. Excellent joint. Even though they were very busy, I sweet talked my way into looking at their pit; the real deal open pit that you couldn't have now, cooking over hickory. (I'd give my left one (and half of my right) to have a great little place like this for my own.

This is now my second favorite place I've eaten in the SE. I hope they don't disappoint the next time I'm in town. Excellent meal.
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. You went to the better of the two Allen and Sons. I always get the chop pork sandwich -- never even thought of getting ribs there. Sounds like they were good, so I will try them next time. Sides are pretty good. Tea is real good. Next time save some room for their wonderful deserts. The gentlemen that runs the place works real hard to keep it authentic wood cooked BBQ.
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the store that we'd go to. Loved their BBQ.
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa: What is your favorite place in the SE?
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thsmoker wrote:
Poppa: What is your favorite place in the SE?

Bucky's BBQ
1700 Roper Mountain Road
Greenville, SC
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 01 10 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the desserts, I wanted the peach cobbler, but it was the one thing they had sold out. In hindsight, I'm glad they had, I was plenty full from the meal. I could easily have shared this plate with my wife and been fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: