FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


250 a BBQ cooker odyssey
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 9:36 pm    Post subject: 250 a BBQ cooker odyssey Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of my latest build, as I have researched cookers and gained experience cooking I am trying to incorporate what I like and need all in one cooker, Im sure there will be some disappointments and tweaking along the way but hey that is half the fun







As you can see I still need to install one of the firebox doors, hope to get on that this weekend, well have more pics of the hinge build and door installation.


Last edited by 232mako on Wed Aug 25 10 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26014
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Sat May 01 10 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako, I am glad you got your pics up. Very Happy Your latest build looks awesome I love it. Very Happy What will the left and right partitions in the firebox area be used for? I will be watching your progress and updates. Very nice work right there. Smile
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bailey Q
Newbie


Joined: 26 Apr 2010
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sat May 01 10 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mako, the smoker looks great!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got some time to do a little work
On my cooker, I installed the propane burners
And fabricated the air intakes, still need to
Install the exhaust pipes and door latches but
But things are moving kinda slow around here its been
110 for the past week, not very good working weather.


Last edited by 232mako on Wed Aug 25 10 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote





Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: Rogersville, TN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako wrote:
Well I finally got some time to do a little work
On my cooker, I installed the propane burners
And fabricated the air intakes, still need to
Install the exhaust pipes and door latches but
But things are moving kinda slow around here its been
110 for the past week, not very good working weather.


<a><img></a>

<a><img></a>

<a><img></a>


I see you're from Beaufort......110 might not be good pit building weather, but I remember marching around a grinder and doing close order drill in that stuff. I think those Drill Instructors got off on seeing us sweat like that.
_________________
"Never trust a skinny cook."
"Real men pass gas and use hickory."
"Happiness is...a belt-fed weapon."

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 2362
Location: Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. It's been hotter than hades around here the past week or so.

Wasn't in the Corps, but have made my fair share of trips aboard PI. I think it is a beautiful place, but then I have a different vantage point than most of the folks who have been through there Wink
_________________
Somewhere in Kenya...a village is missing their idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: Rogersville, TN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
You're right. It's been hotter than hades around here the past week or so.

Wasn't in the Corps, but have made my fair share of trips aboard PI. I think it is a beautiful place, but then I have a different vantage point than most of the folks who have been through there Wink


It's very beautiful, I think most Lowland places are. All the moss hanging down everywhere, sand. I spent a lot of time in that sand, and then trying to clean it out of my rifle.
_________________
"Never trust a skinny cook."
"Real men pass gas and use hickory."
"Happiness is...a belt-fed weapon."

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19 10 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc wrote:
232mako wrote:
Well I finally got some time to do a little work
On my cooker, I installed the propane burners
And fabricated the air intakes, still need to
Install the exhaust pipes and door latches but
But things are moving kinda slow around here its been
110 for the past week, not very good working weather.


<a><img></a>

<a><img></a>

<a><img></a>


I see you're from Beaufort......110 might not be good pit building weather, but I remember marching around a grinder and doing close order drill in that stuff. I think those Drill Instructors got off on seeing us sweat like that.


Yes one of the few people who can say they were born and
Raised in Beaufort, DIs are a twisted group of people,
But PI turns out some of the best Marines on the planet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26014
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19 10 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako, you are making some nice progress. Very Happy We are touching triple digits here as well. By the time I come out of my Nomex from welding I am wet to my socks. It makes it tough under the hood when your glasses start fogging up. Laughing Keep up the Great work and stay Hydrated. I will be watching for more updates. Smile
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04 10 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy everyone got to do some more work on the
Cooker, got it mounted on the trailer, and did the
First burn today, think I need to find A way to limit
the charcoal burn rate the smoker ran at 500 degrees and
could not be choked down, the charcoal Basket will hold
two bags and within 15 to 20 min all the Coal was burning,
But with that said she held a uniform temp up, down, left,
Right.


Till next time











Last edited by 232mako on Thu Jul 08 10 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26014
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04 10 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako, your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy I think you will find that a chimney worth of lit coals will be about all your going to need in a design like this. On the R/F a 1/4 basket of lit lump will send the temps up past 300 I look forward to more pics, keep up the grate work. Smile
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06 10 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.a.m I believe you are correct, after the coals
burned down and there were only about 20 or so left the temp
Dropped too 250, has anybody had any success with putting a
S shaped divider in there charcoal bin to slow the burn
Rate? I was just thinking it would a lot nicer to load the
whole basket with coal one time and let it slowly burn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 1027
Location: Oklahoma City area

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06 10 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako wrote:
Thanks K.a.m I believe you are correct, after the coals
burned down and there were only about 20 or so left the temp
Dropped too 250, has anybody had any success with putting a
S shaped divider in there charcoal bin to slow the burn
Rate? I was just thinking it would a lot nicer to load the
whole basket with coal one time and let it slowly burn.


The "S" shape will help. but you MUST be able to control the amount of fresh air the fire receives.

I have been modifying a smoker grill built much like yours and it really has reinforced that fact that tight air intakes are a must if you want to use the minion method. Mine runs about 270 with about one and one half square inches of intake open. A crack about 1/4" wide and 4 inches long is another full square inch of air and would let my cooker run wild. If you can choke the air intake well, you don't even need the "S".

My 2 cents (but they were well researched pennies).
Jay
_________________
OkieJay
Founder of the seldom seen Touch Of Smoke BBQ team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jarhead
BBQ All Star


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 7355
Location: Marionville, Home of the White Squirrels, Missouri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06 10 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako wrote:
Yes one of the few people who can say they were born and Raised in Beaufort, DIs are a twisted group of people,
But PI turns out some of the best Marines on the planet.

You do mean Paradise Island don't you? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nothing beats a Hollywood Marine. Wink
Semper Fi
_________________
Gunny 3073/4044/8411

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06 10 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
232mako wrote:
Thanks K.a.m I believe you are correct, after the coals
burned down and there were only about 20 or so left the temp
Dropped too 250, has anybody had any success with putting a
S shaped divider in there charcoal bin to slow the burn
Rate? I was just thinking it would a lot nicer to load the
whole basket with coal one time and let it slowly burn.


The "S" shape will help. but you MUST be able to control the amount of fresh air the fire receives.

I have been modifying a smoker grill built much like yours and it really has reinforced that fact that tight air intakes are a must if you want to use the minion method. Mine runs about 270 with about one and one half square inches of intake open. A crack about 1/4" wide and 4 inches long is another full square inch of air and would let my cooker run wild. If you can choke the air intake well, you don't even need the "S".

My 2 cents (but they were well researched pennies).
Jay


Must admit you have me over a barrel, not sure what the minion method is, but your point is well taken about air flow control, when I cut the slots in the door I made a slide for the door but did not install it my have to put that back on my to do list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
232mako
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06 10 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
232mako wrote:
Yes one of the few people who can say they were born and Raised in Beaufort, DIs are a twisted group of people,
But PI turns out some of the best Marines on the planet.

You do mean Paradise Island don't you? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nothing beats a Hollywood Marine. Wink
Semper Fi


I have been working on PI since 1988 and believe me I have called it more than that. But the truth be told its a pretty nice place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 1027
Location: Oklahoma City area

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06 10 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

232mako wrote:
OkieJay wrote:
232mako wrote:
Thanks K.a.m I believe you are correct, after the coals
burned down and there were only about 20 or so left the temp
Dropped too 250, has anybody had any success with putting a
S shaped divider in there charcoal bin to slow the burn
Rate? I was just thinking it would a lot nicer to load the
whole basket with coal one time and let it slowly burn.


The "S" shape will help. but you MUST be able to control the amount of fresh air the fire receives.

I have been modifying a smoker grill built much like yours and it really has reinforced that fact that tight air intakes are a must if you want to use the minion method. Mine runs about 270 with about one and one half square inches of intake open. A crack about 1/4" wide and 4 inches long is another full square inch of air and would let my cooker run wild. If you can choke the air intake well, you don't even need the "S".

My 2 cents (but they were well researched pennies).
Jay


Must admit you have me over a barrel, not sure what the minion method is, but your point is well taken about air flow control, when I cut the slots in the door I made a slide for the door but did not install it my have to put that back on my to do list.


The Minion method describes the process of putting a large amount of charcoal in the firebox, dropping some lit charcoal on top and then controlling the burn rate by controlling the oxygen the fire gets.

That is how the WSM and UDS smokers can run 8+ hours on a single load and not have the temps rocket up out of control. Have to have pinpoint control of the air intakes to do it. It can be done on a large pit, but it takes a lot of work to get the firebox that tight.

I hope that explains it without sounding insulting.
Please let me know if i can help.
Jay
_________________
OkieJay
Founder of the seldom seen Touch Of Smoke BBQ team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Huntn247
Newbie


Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 73
Location: Albion NY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lookin cooker.
I am planning on building something close to that. Can you post some pics of the bootom of the cook chamber where the het and smoke enters.
_________________
BLUE SMOKE BBQ

Modified ECB.
UDS.
Homemade stainless grill AKA The Bath Tub.
Homemade Pig Cooker.
Horizontal Drum Grill/Smoker.
Dutch oven cooking table.
Double UDS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1300
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07 10 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. You will figure it all out after a while. I saw my best friend in your picture. The grinder! lol Like the counter weights also.

Keep up the good work.
_________________
The Wild Pig build.
My UDS Build.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group