FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th of July Rubber Brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
House of Payne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 12:55 am    Post subject: 4th of July Rubber Brisket Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm pretty new to smoking. I decided to do a brisket yesterday - only around 6 pounds and I had it on my pecan fire between 2 and 240 by about 9 am. I kept it on there for a long, long time - until 7 pm that night. The problem was how tough it was when I pulled it off. This has happened with ribs too.

Consequently, a friend brought over a 3lb pulled pork shoulder, threw it on there around noon and we pulled it off about 6 hrs later and it was perfect.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? Dry or burnt I can understand but that rubbery texture is killing me.

Thanks,
H-O-P
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only 2 questions....

What was the internaltemp when youpulled it off? (should have been 190)

Did you slice it going AGAINST the grain.

The more we know, the more we can help you.
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 hours at around 225 for a 6 lbs. brisket seems long for me. When doing brisket, you watch the internal temp in the flat. When it gets to about 185, start poking it with a toothpick. When the toothpick goes in smooth without pressure, it is done.

Don't overwrap it when you let it rest, a couple of layers of loose foil is good.

Enjoy,
jay
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was moist and rubbery I would say you did not cook it long enough for it to break down. If it was dry and tough then you probably overcooked it. Did you take its temperature?
Caroline's Rub
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were my first couple of thoughts as well...what was the internal and are you sure you cut against the grain?

The toothpick trick from OkieJay is great on just about any meat...if it slides through like it's going through butter, your either getting close or done.
100% No-Hassle Money Back Guarantee
House of Payne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did cut against the grain - although it was really hard to cut into. And, unfortunately (throw me in the newbie section), I didn't have an meat thermometer - I just bought one though Wink

But like I said, my ribs from prior attembts have tasted a little rubbery as well. I think that the meat thermometer will help immensely.

Last thing, I cooked two on there - one was in a foil pan and the other right on the grill of the smoker. The one on the grill was the one I had so much trouble with - was frozen (and thawed) - could this have added to the texture problem?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense. I would agree with the others, that it wasn't done cooking.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have all made a "Blues Brothers" Brisket at one time or another. Try 10 more and you will have it down.

GIANT BBQ
House of Payne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all of the great advice. i guess i'll have to wake up a little earlier in the morning and feed more apps in order to go further into the night.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06 06 8:51 pm    Post subject: Brisket Reply with quote

I think without a question everyone here has given you the answers you needed. I cooked my first brisket with a lot of advise from friends with alot of cooking know how. But one day I was cooking several, and after 6 hours or so I took a knife and cut off a corner to sample. Couldn't eat it, it was so tough. The dog wouldn't even eat it. I let it keep cookingand when the temps got to were they should be. I try the same spot again and the meat just melted and was so tender. I learned my lesson.

Thou shall serve no Brisket before it's Time.

RandyE
East Tenn Q Crew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: