FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole turkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 06 11:27 pm    Post subject: Whole turkey Reply with quote

I have a whole turkey that I want to smoke. Anyone have a good recipe for it? Also, since it is a big bird what kind of cook time should I be doing? 60 min per pound? What internal temp will it be done at? Is it 180 degrees like chicken?
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10 06 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one way:
I usually try to use a 12-14 lb. bird, any bigger and it's harder to get the dark meat done without the breast drying out. Unwrap the bird, remove the neck and giblets from the inside cavity(if applicable), remove the useless pop-up timer(if applicable), rinse thoroughly inside and out, and pat dry. Sprinkle some of your favorite rub(I use Cavender's Greek Seasoning) inside the cavity. I cut up an apple and an onion and place the chunks inside the cavity as well. Carefully slide your hand under the skin of the breast meat, separating it from the meat, without tearing it. Rub some olive oil under the skin and sprinkle rub under the skin. Rub more olive oil over the entire outside of the bird and sprinkle liberally with rub.

Smoke it for approx. 20-25 mins./lb at 250-275. I have an offset smoker so I position the legs and thighs pointing toward the firebox. After the first hr. spritz every 20-30 mins with olive oil in a spray bottle. The bird is done when the thigh juices run clear and the internal temp at the thigh is 170ish(should be around 160ish at the breast). Remove and let sit 20 mins or so and you're good to go.

I do these for folks around the holidays and they come out looking something like this(hopefully Wink )

Let us know how it goes....good luck!!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11 06 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one on for size.

http://www1.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701&highlight=hurricane
Smoker1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26 06 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of wood do you guys use for smoking the whole bir?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26 06 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pecan or apple (if you can get it).
Smoker1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29 06 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alien, I also have a chargriller, do you smoke with the breast up or down?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29 06 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up with cheese cloth.
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29 06 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my next Turkey , Im gonna try this one. (From another site)

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9810096353/m/8190037553

Mike Lawry
Cajun Transplant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you put the cheesecloth on? I assume this is just to keep the outside of the bird from charring?

Hey Alien... your not too far from me. Im in Albuquerque!
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheese cloth will will help to keep the bird from getting to dark... If you use the cheese cloth, which I also reccomend. Soak it in a bit of white vinegar first to keep it from sticking to the skin. An hour or so before you deem your bird done, remove the cloth if the bird is not getting to the color you desire.

I also like to cook my birds hot... 275 - 325 using pecan... At these temps, the skin will crisp up some and the bird will still have that awesome smokey flavor...

James.
Cajun Transplant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you cook it the whole way with the cheesecloth with the exception of the last hour? At 275 to 325, how long does it take to cook? I was thinking of going with 225 to 250 for the majority of the cook, then trying to raise the temp to 325ish to crisp it up.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-13lb birds usually take about 5 hours give or take...

James.
madbrad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 08 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use to have a buddy that would smoke and fry them. i can't remember how he did it. sure was good

Brad
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25 08 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year was my first time smoking Turkey {or indeed smoking at all}

Somehow I got into using Balsamic Vinegar as part of the marinade scheme, on pretty much everything. I used Daves Chicken rub, with some brown sugar for the rub. I also brined the bird.

Lately {thanks to many of the recipes on this board} I have tried using Italian Dressing for marinade. It makes sense, because you have your oil, vinegar and many of the same spices that you would use anyway.

I am now modifying the Italian Dressing scheme, and making my own. In a small jar I put a good couple tablespoons if whatever rub I intend to use, approx. half olive oil/ half balsamic vinegar + dash of garlic flavored vinegar.

As long as you brine the turkey, splash some kind of marinade, rub it with some kind of rub, and expose it to multiple hours of smoke at a controlled temp of your choice in the 225-300 range, and most importantly monitor the internal temp.. everything should turn out fine.

I like the idea of the cheesecloth "burn blanket", I think I will try that. Apparently its not the best idea if our miniature wiener dog Oscar gets a hold of it... carrying on, dragging it around the house and trying to eat it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: