FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Custom Smoker Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammersticks2481

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 16 8:16 am    Post subject: First Custom Smoker Help Reply with quote

I am trying to build my first smoker with my dad and need some help. I already have an idea for the overall layout and design I want just need some help kind of ironing out the details and things along those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to build an offset smoker modeled after Franklin's concept. I am trying to basically make a backyard friendly sized mock up of a Franklin smoker. I want it to be small enough to be easily moved around and big enough to be able to hold a good enough amount of meat to cater to any good sized house party. The amount I have in mind is from the front of the door to the back I want to be able to fit at most two briskets and then be able to put in about two more pork butts or racks of ribs next to that. I think that is overkill for what I want, but that would be the max amount of meat I would ever want to cook at once to give you an idea of the size I am looking for. I want it to have two doors so i can line 3 thermometers from front to back at grate level to get accurate readings on all three of my heat zones. Single grate along the entire thing. The smoke stack to be lined about with the grate as well to create optimal airflow and smoke distribution. That is pretty much what I am going for. Again any guidance is very much so appreciated. Thank you!!
dwilliams35
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 16 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nothing that a month or so of perusing all the old posts here won't fix...
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 16 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: First Custom Smoker Help Reply with quote

hammersticks2481 wrote:
I am trying to build my first smoker with my dad and need some help. I already have an idea for the overall layout and design I want just need some help kind of ironing out the details and things along those lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to build an offset smoker modeled after Franklin's concept. I am trying to basically make a backyard friendly sized mock up of a Franklin smoker. I want it to be small enough to be easily moved around and big enough to be able to hold a good enough amount of meat to cater to any good sized house party.

The amount I have in mind is from the front of the door to the back I want to be able to fit at most two briskets and then be able to put in about two more pork butts or racks of ribs next to that.

I think that is overkill for what I want, but that would be the max amount of meat I would ever want to cook at once to give you an idea of the size I am looking for.

I want it to have two doors so i can line 3 thermometers from front to back at grate level to get accurate readings on all three of my heat zones. Single grate along the entire thing.

The smoke stack to be lined about with the grate as well to create optimal airflow and smoke distribution. That is pretty much what I am going for.

Again any guidance is very much so appreciated. Thank you!!

Briskets are 10.5" - 11" wide and 20" long, (average sizes), and a couple of butts or 2 - 3 racks of ribs 7" - 8" wide and 16" long so something around 30" diameter pipe by 48" would put you in the zone, size wise.

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator with 30" x 48" with a 6" exhaust, based on a reverse flow cooker.

Take a look and see what you think.

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 16 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do it with a 24" x 60" since you are not looking for slide out grates. You gain a lot of space by having one grate but I would try to stay in the 24" diameter area unless you have long arms to reach the back of a deeper chamber while its going full tilt. I also would not hold much stock in door therms giving you actual grate temps they are more a reference to what the grates are cooking at. What I mean is the door therms could easily be 60° or more off from your grates but once you learn them you can reference the doors and adjust.

Hybrid Cooker
hammersticks2481

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 16 5:44 am    Post subject: Smoker Pic Idea Reply with quote

This is pretty much what I am going for in regards the overall layout. Disregard the crappy drawing lol.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 16 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are going with a square firebox instead of a round one like Arron uses.

Hybrid Cooker
hammersticks2481

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 16 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am open to whatever is easiest. I like his circular idea though. Seems like it lines up well and looks easier. I just drew up a basic layout of what I was looking for. I have no skills in that department lol.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 16 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both work well. The round is less expensive than plate. I prefer a square firebox over a round one. They both can test your patience so easy is not really something I look for but more what fits your needs.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: