FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santa Maria style BBQ finished Updated Oct 4th
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15 10 8:17 am    Post subject: Santa Maria style BBQ finished Updated Oct 4th Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Just finished up my plans for my new Santa Maria style BBQ that I am building for myself finally. It will be 5' long x 32" wide. The cooking rack will be split into a 1/3 2/3 setup so I can cook different stuff at the same time. Its going to be a little large, but oh well! Mostly use it when I have people over so thats when you need a big grill anyway right?

Here is a link to my first BBQ that I made for a friend. This time I am hoping to make a few improvements.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37756&highlight=

I actually just got back from the metal supplier, so here are the details so far...

The box will be made out of 3/16" steel with the walls being 16" tall.
The legs and supports are going to be made out of 2" sqr tubing
The uprights that the grill travels on will once again be made out of 2" C channel
There will be a cutting board on the left hand side, and a rack on the front. The side will have hooks for utensils etc
I plan on scrapping 2 come alongs to make the ratcheting mechanism once again, except this time I am trying to find some 24" wagon wheels or maybe a stainless steel steering wheel from a sailboat.

Not sure if I am going to put wheels on it yet or not. I probably should but I dont know what the best kind would be for rolling over grass etc. Would inflatable rubber wheels be a good choice or would they get a flat spot after sitting for some time and make rolling it a pain in the butt?

I look forward to keeping you guys updated. Luckily my welding skills have gotten a lot better since my last build so this one should hopefully be real pretty when its finished.

Last edited by ggarner on Tue Oct 05 10 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
BBQ Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see your progress photos.

I have the perfect spot for a Santa Maria. I understand the concept I just can't figure out how to maintain level while raising and lowering the grille surface. I'm sure I'll learn by watching yours. Have you thought about a basket for your fire source, wood or lump and an ash drawer or is it simpler to just raise the grill. Mine, when I build it, will be stationary. The former homeowners had a built-in gas grille they let rust apart. I tore it it 5 years
ago and it screams for a Santa Maria. Good luck!
merican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be perfect for oysters, dang u BP!!!!!!! We will have to take a loan out now. God be with the families effected in these type industries. Sorry not meant to derail, my family loves oysters and I think this would be perfect.
USDA Monkey
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! I have got to learn how to weld!!!!

Good job and thanks for the inspiration!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is 1 pic from todays work, for size reference the long side of the square is 2' long. I hoped to get more done, but it was so damn hot today I was dying, with a leather welding jacket, pants and the hood I was sweating like a pig. Had to take a little break for a swim to let the dog cool off. Then shortly after i got back to it it started raining. And since I was stick welding outside I had to call it quit before I got electrocuted! HAHA

I was amazed how tiring it was wrestling all this stuff around. The sheet metal its self ended up weighing in at 300lbs. I got all the pieces cut and then fit them up for the fire box. Tacked all the pieces up after making sure they were square, and then welded them together with 1/8 7018.

Tomorrow I am going to make the frame that the fire box will sit on. It is going to be out of 2" square tubing.

BBQ Dreamer: I will try and show you how I do it once I get to that point in the build. Should be monday or tuesday. So hopefully I can help you out with that. As for the fire, this will be an oak burner and I am going to make a grate that will keep the logs a few inches off the bottom. For cleaning you just wind the rack to the top take out the grate and scoop out the ash with a shovel. I am also thinking about making some air intakes along the bottom that I can open and close to supply more oxygen when I want to get higher temps. Kinda borrowing from the smoker fireboxes that a log of guys on here run.

Merican: Yea oysters on the bbq are awesome! Hopefully they can get that mess cleaned up down there and all the people in the south can still make a living from the ocean.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, Nice first build, I will be following this one. I think I have taken a real liking to this style. My kiddo entertains a bit and this style lets any guest that wants to get involved do so in the fashion of the U R Cooks restaurants.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, looking good so far. Very Happy I have already bookmarked this build as with your other. I look forward to following your progress. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17 10 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got a fair amount done today. I finished welding most of the box seams. Wow that was a lot of welding between yesterday and today. Figured it out and i welded about 28 linear feet just for the seems on the box. I finalized my design for the legs, and got all the pieces cut to size. Then I got one of them squared up and mounted.

I should have posted this first but here is the design for the new bbq.

The dimensions have changed, the length is now 5' and the legs are 25" tall, which makes the top of the box at 41"

Here is one of the outside seems after I welded it. You can also see where the leg is attached. The seems were done with 1/8" 7014

Here is another corner with the leg still not attached yet

Here is a full picture of the setup.

OOOps forgot to put a closeup of the leg attached. I tacked it then did a root pass with 3/16 6011 to make sure I got good penetration and then did a cap with 1/8" 7018.

The welds arent super but I am getting better so I was pretty happy with them so far.
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner,
Nice job so far.. keep up the good work Wink The twin cooking racks is a great idea! I really like this style of cooker and have always wanted one... (I want too many cookers...) Laughing

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for you guys that build quite a bit or are pretty familiar with builds in general.

What kind of expanded metal do you usually use, and how much does it cost/sheet? Its been a while since I have bought any expanded metal so I dont remember what I got last time. I think it came in a 4x8 sheet and was like $80 or something last time.

I am thinking 3/4" 9ga flat is what i got last time. Does this sound right?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, you are doing a fine job. Very Happy You are correct on the expanded metal. # 9 x 3/4'' flat is most commonly used. I am not sure on the price as I have not had to buy any in some time and areas of the country will vary on price.

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M. I will see what my local place charges for that!

Ok well i made some more progress today. All the legs are on and the lower support is also on!
Here is the full view standing on its own. The amazing thing is that it does not rock at all! Thats a first!!!

The legs and cross members/supports. I am thinking about adding a center support for the middle of the cooker, what do you guys thing? Needed or not needed?

Supports again

Full view again

One of the seems between the base plate and one of the sides.
Here is some of my best welding so far! HAHA
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, I am loving watching your grill come together. Very Happy Some very nice work you are turning out. I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/4 #9 is going $30-$50 around here, $80 would be a bit much I would think. In that regard, some really cool stuff might found at your local scrap yard if you have one near. I have found shaker grate, perf plate, etc. that came out really nice and different.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
3/4 #9 is going $30-$50 around here, $80 would be a bit much I would think. In that regard, some really cool stuff might found at your local scrap yard if you have one near. I have found shaker grate, perf plate, etc. that came out really nice and different.

Good work ggarner. I look forward to seeing it completed and see some cooks.

3/4 #9 is $120 a sheet here at the local rip off shop. Up the road about 30 miles it's $80.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Hydro
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great and I think the welds look good too, I've never used a stick much but I'd sure be happy if they looked like yours. I think you'd need the center support myself especially the with the two racks meeting close to the middle. With the added weight and the heat from the fire I'd think it would warp. Just my opinion. Looking forward to more postings.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys!

Wreckless, thanks for the heads up on the price. I will def call around to a few places in town and see what they charge. Looking out in the remnants yard is also a good idea so I will check that out.

Purplewg, thanks! I will def have to do a little shopping to see where the best deal is.

Hydro, Thanks! I was thinking the same thing about distortion, and I have some extra 2" tubing left over from when I built the legs, so I guess I might as well use it to support the middle.
team s.a. blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29 10 11:41 pm    Post subject: pit Reply with quote

enjoying the build. I'm going to built me one just like it. any updates?
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12 10 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being slow on the updates!

Things have been progressing slowly but surely. I will try and take some pics tomorrow and get them posted.

Here is a brief little text update.

I ended up placing a center brace in using a left over piece of 2x2 tubing that I had.

I drilled the holes, then welded in the vertical C channel as well as the horizontal supports.

Then I got to building the actual grill surface frame. This took me a little while because I wanted to maximize the surface area that I had. So instead of using straight pieces of angle to make a rectangle I actually cut out 2 inserts so that the grill frame extended to the sides of the firebox. So far I have build the larger frame and got the expanded metal welded in this afternoon.

Now for the things left to do list:
Build the grill frame for the smaller side.
Build the frame to support the firewood off the bottom of the firebox
Build something to sit inside the C channel to keep the grill from teetering back and forth while allowing it to be raised and lowered

I am also contemplating adding some vents/dampers to the front and rear of the firebox to allow fresh air to enter from below the structure supporting the firewood so I can get the fire more air, but not sure if this is really needed.

I am having a hard time deciding what to have sit inside the C channel to keep the grill from rocking back and forth. I did some calculations and figured out that I need about 1/8" clearance to account for the expansion of the grill laterally when the metal heats up. At the moment I am thinking the low profile unistrut may work well to ride in the C channel, because I tried to fab up some stuff myself today with less than stellar results.

Any thoughts on the bottom vents/dampers, as well as what to put in the C channel?

Thanks Garrett
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12 10 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett, it sounds like your moving right along I look forward to seeing some pics. Very Happy
I would use sliding intakes like on a firebox for the front and back. Although I am not sure they are needed on a Santa Maria because of the open top.
I am guessing your having a time finding something to fit the inside of the channel iron because it tapers inward. Have you thought about welding ears to measure the outside diam. of the channel? You could weld only the outside portion of the ear and then your grate will move freely up and down on the channel. Just a thought I had.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: