FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santa Maria style BBQ finished Updated Oct 4th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13 10 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are exactly right K.a.m.!!!! Its been a bit of a challenge! I like that idea of the ears! Hmmm now I need to think about it hehe.

As a side note I just called my local metal supply place and found out that a
4x8 piece of 9ga flattened expanded metal is $55 or 1.72/sqr ft. They also have 4x10 @ the same price per sqr ft.

So off to the store i go! haha
Bugeater Barbeque

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13 10 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty close to what I bought some #9 for in South Dakota, I paid $48 for a 4x8 sheet.
I love your build.
2-18 x 30 tailgating grill
Meat it's what's for dinner...lunch...and breakfast..
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13 10 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I snapped some pictures after I finished working on the grill this afternoon.

Here is a full shot of the progress so far:

Here are the frames that I made to support the wood off the bottom of the firebox

Here is the inset in the grilling surface that I was talking about earlier.

Here is the large side of the grilling surface pretty much ready for installation

Tomorrow I am going to get the expanded metal cut and installed into the frames for the firebox wood frame, get some tabs installed inside the box to space them off the bottom etc. I am also going to work on these "ears" that k.a.m. suggested and see how that goes. Then if I have time I will cut down the gears from the come alongs that i got some time ago so that they will be ready for action.

Now I am working on trying to get some large hand wheels that I can use for to turn the grill surface up and down. I am thinking about either buying a tubing roller from harbor freight and making my own or just paying someone to make 2 for me. I found that I could buy 2 from HF as a replacment part to a machine that they make but there is a 6-8 week lead time and I really dont want to wait that long. Anyone else have a source where I could buy some 22-24" hand wheels from???
jednalf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13 10 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumbing Supply houses with Water Works should have wheels as they use them on big gate valves it's worth a shot
2 18.5 Weber Kettels
2 22.5 Weber Kettels
1 SS Weber Performer
1 18.5 WSM
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13 10 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pit is coming around just as described at the beginning of the build. Very nice!!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is another update!

I had a local machine shop roll to rings for me so I can build my own hand wheels. He just called and they are finished, so I plan on picking them up tomorrow am and hopefully finishing up the build. The hand wheels were rolled from 2x3/16" flat bar with a 30" diameter. I will have to find the mid point and weld my spokes on tomorrow.

Other than that, I have finished up all the log support and the grates, and just this evening installed the smaller grill including the cable to raise and lower it. I have also been cutting the gears up from the comealong to make 2 ratcheting systems which will be welded to the frame/tube.

Tomorrows work looks like installing the large grill lift mechanism, adding the ratchet gears to both sides and then finishing up the fab of the hand wheels and then welding them on.

I will def post some pics either later tonight or tomorrow of my progress.

The last thing to do will be have a piece of sheet metal cut with a plasma torch with some sort of design or my name/initials on it. Have not really finalized what I want to do for this yet.

Well thats all for now!

Garrett
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27 10 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett, your grate came out fantastic. Very Happy I will be watching for more pics I want to see the wheel set up. Keep up the fine work. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31 10 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go! about 99% of the work is now finished and I have pics from the last week or so to update you guys on.

Here are the grates installed, both the log grate and the cooking grate above it. I messed up when I cut the the expanded metal on the log grate, and the pattern is turned 90deg to the rest of the grill... but o well... that piece was a scrap from another project and would not fit if i tried to cut it the other direction... I will probably be the only one who ever notices.

Here is a close up of what in finally came up with to keep the grill from tipping back and forth. There is a 6" piece of narrow unistrut which I reformed a little bit with a hammer to ride very nicely in the c channel.

For the gears I cut apart 2 harbor freight cheapo come-alongs. This is after I cut down the cog, rewelded it and ground it down.

Here is how I spaced it off of the frame for welding. You will notice below is the spring latch portion of the come-along which I cut up... drilled holes and tapped to thread into the frame.

Here is the cog after it is welded on.

Here is another picture of the cog after being welded in place and the sping latch now working.

You will notice that I have a coupling screwed on to the threaded portion of the black pipe. I thought I would be able to weld the spokes of the hand wheel to the coupling and then simply screw this on... Well not so much. Sort of as I expected after i finished the construction of the first hand wheel and threaded it on I yanked on the wheel to see how sturdy it was and the welds busted on the coupling because the coupling was cast iron and welding it made it very brittle. So at that point it was back to the drawing board... More on this later.

Here is a picture of the the steel cable is attached to the black pipe. I drilled holes through the pipe, inset 5" from the ends of the uprights and attached the cable as shown.

To make drilling through the pipe in the center easier and repeatable I made a jig for my drill press out of 1.25x3/16" angle iron which was all welded together and clamped to the base plate.

Here is a picture after both of the cogs/steel cable have been installed and the grill was manually lifted with a wrench.

Now came time to make the hand wheels. I had 2 rings rolled at a local machine shop because I dont have a ring roller Sad. They were made out of 2x3/16" flat bar with a 30" diameter.

I took a string and wrapped it around the exterior of the rings to get the full circumference. I then marked the side of the ring so that it was evenly divided into 6 pieces. I needed a 29 and 5/8" spoke. So I cut 3 of these. I then welded the first one and then the second one was welded on top of this one and the third was welded below the first one. Then I cut out the center portion of the spoke and welded them all together.
Here is the final product. All the welding on this portion was done with 1/8" 7014.

Here are both wheels completed.

I then centered them and leveled them and welded them onto the black pipe.

Here is a close up of the wheel after welding it on and painting it.

The other side

The ratchet/cog system

And here she is... almost finished

Last thing to do are some decorations. I am going to have some pieces plasma cut and plan on polishing them and maybe heat treating to get a nice finish and then putting a cleat lacquer on them for some fine detailing. There will be 1 G over each of the center of the spokes on the hand wheels, and then my last name over the central support of the grill. I also need to add on some little hooks to hang utensils from etc... Oh... and get it moved to the backyard.. which will be no small task because I think it weighs in at about 450-500lbs now and there are no plans for wheels to roll it on. Thinking i will use some furniture roller things and some plywood to get it to its final resting place in the back yard.
Goldenboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31 10 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmmm.......

WOW!

That thing is gorgeous...

Great design, Greater build....

2010 Tailgate Appetizer Throwdown Winner

"PUT SOME SOUTH IN YOUR MOUTH!"
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31 10 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Lets see somethin cookin on her!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31 10 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice. think i may do similar for our next grill. excellent looking santa maria you have there.
USDA Monkey
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes! That looks awesome!

I need to learn how to weld.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the compliments guys! It ended up taking longer than I had anticipated but I think it turned out well. I was hoping to get the last little details finished today, but the the guy who was going to do some plasma cutting for me had to take his machine into the repair shop. So most likely I will get it finished next monday or tuesday.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, My oh My. Very Happy Your grill is one to be proud of.Very Happy You have done some outstanding work and I am very glad for all your pic by pic explanations. Very nice work my man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04 10 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i did my first cook on it last night and it worked pretty much perfectly. Only thing I am going to modify is making a little handle for the cog release so I dont have to try and fit my hand all the way in there.

One thing I learned last night is tell the drunk friends to stand away and dont touch the meat! I cooked 2 tri tips marinated in a Bordeaux wine marinade that I made as well as 4 bone in chicken breasts with a sort of orange juice//lime juice asian marinade. My friend was emphatic that after 15 min the tri tips were done, so just to humor him I went and got my thermometer and they read a whopping 82degrees.... I ended up pulling them when they were at 120 degrees thinking they would keep cooking for another 10-15 min under foil in the house. But due to my friends screwing around with them while I was doing other things i dont think the external temp was enough to get them to where I expected them to do.

So for the next cook, there will be chairs with a cooler of cold beer next to them to keep the meddlers away and let me do my thing!!! HAHA

However, overall the flavor was excellent and the oak gave a great little smokiness to the beef and the chicken.
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04 10 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner,
She came out GREAT! Very Happy Nice work Bro! Cool Cool Cool

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after nearly finishing the BBQ it has turned into a huge backyard remodel so that I can have a place of prominence to put the beast. I have ripped out a bunch of plant and put down almost 120 sqr feet of pavers. And I figured while I was at it... what the hell, why not make an outrood kitchen too! So i have added lights and then decided to build a counter with a sink. For the counter top I wanted it to look manly so I went to the local masonry supplier and got a bunch of rock to make my countertop out of. I will post some pics shortly or the rest of the project. I also got my name plasma cut by and had it done in the style which my father used to use when he shaped surfboards back in the 70's. I am planning on buffing the steel with different sanding disks to get it really shiny and then welding it on top of the grill. I picked up some spray on laquer which is supposed to work on bare steel so hopefully it all works out well. Today I just finished puting the mortar inbetween te stones for the countertop. So once it dries tomorrow I will post pics of the "kitchen" renovation.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20 10 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet ggarner that bad boy would look great in my backyard Very Happy but i got to see her loaded down with 10 or 12 tri tips

p.s. really like the 30'' wheels i bet she runs really smooth
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21 10 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really cool! I am 95% done with my 1st build and have plans for another. This may be my 3rd!

Did you use Google sketch up for your drawing? Would you be willing to send me a copy?

Thanks and enjoy!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21 10 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Killswitch! Yea I the big wheels are great because you dont have to put much pressure to raise the grill and when it is freewheeling back down its really easy to stop!

MGeslock I will send you a copy later one when I get on the computer that has the file.

I had a major epiphany this morning. I had to remove an old fence to make room for the yard renovation, and was thinking what kind of cabinet doors I wanted to but on the kitchen cabinet... Then it finally hit me. The fence I took down was build in the 50's and the planks were 1"x12"x6' redwood. They looked all beat up, and I wanted something rustic looking. So I took the belt sander to them and after I got all the nasty weathering off them they look great! I was amazed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: