FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santa Maria style BBQ finished Updated Oct 4th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21 10 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice grill man. I gotta tell ya though, that is one nice drill you got there. Laughing
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 10 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGeslock: Sorry I have been super busy this weekend, I will try and email you that file this evening or tomorrow sometime.

Jonnyrod: Thanks! I really love that drill press. I picked it up off CL for $120. Then spent about a month fully restoring it. It was origonally a part of a line of production Atlas drill presses down at Mirimar naval air station, and was recently auctioned off to a guy that I got it from. I have it down to .002" of runout. Also added the variable frequency drive and a new 3 phase motor to it. Works like a champ and I dont have too much problem drilling a 1" hole in 1/4" steel as long as I do a pilot hole and 1 midsize hole too.

So i have almost finished the backyard remodel. I put in 2 flood lights, 1 which shines on the grill, and one which shines on the counter top. I put them on 2 seperate dimmer switches, and put the switches on the front of the counter in a weather proof case. I also added a plug so that I can plug in a blender for margaritas or whatever out there too. It is under a weather proof cover as well. While I was at it I also added a motion activated floodlight which aims into the backyard so I can see when I take the dog out at night.

Here is the wiring mess to get all these hooked up:

After I wrangled them all into a box:

I used old fence boards... Here are what they looked like before I took the belt sander to them:

And this is after belt sanding with 50 grit, then 80, then going to the vibrating sander with 80, 100, and then 150.

And here is this evening progress. Got the doors finished up and the first coat of oil based polyurethane on:

Now I just have to do 2 more coats, and then some finishing welding on the grill and I will be ready for action.
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25 10 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done a bunch of nice looking work there. Hopefully you will get to use it all this weekend. Take lots of pics of your maiden voyage and have a good time.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27 10 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
You have done a bunch of nice looking work there. Hopefully you will get to use it all this weekend. Take lots of pics of your maiden voyage and have a good time.

Unfortunately I was not able to use it this weekend. Actually just finished welding the finishing touches a couple hours ago. The biggest hurdle that I face now it simply moving it to its final resting place. It weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 500lbs and with no wheels... its going to be a beast to move. I built it in the front driveway next to where my welder is, because back by the pool where its going to go I dont have a 50A 220 circuit. So now I am trying to decide between those little 4 wheel roller things movers use, or borrowing a pallet jack from the greenhouse. Problem with either of those ideas is that i have to travel about 50' over mulch.... so i think i am going to need some plywood sheets etc.

But anyway... here is the last finishing touches:

Had my last name plasma cut i a design that my father used to use. Then took off the mill scale with a grinder dick, followed by 50, and 80 grit sanding disks and then polished it up with an old used up 80 grit flap wheel disk.

Sprayed it with 5 coats of clear laquer... and with yearly reapplication it should stay nice and shiny!

Also had these cut to cover the ugly center hub of the wheel that I made
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02 10 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she is getting moved back to her final resting place in the back yard out by the pool in an hour or so.

I am having a party tomorrow so I will be sure to take some pics and post them up.

As of right now the menu is:

2 tri-tips
10 bone in skin on breasts
5lbs of wings
4 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts

So it should be a pretty good first little run through for both the cooker, and the outdoor kitchen.
raystevens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02 10 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, that is one very nice unit!!!! Very nice workmanship all the way around!

We are going to be out in the Santa Barbara area in a few weeks (old stomping grounds for my wifey). We plan on picking up some tri-tips (Ye Olde Butcher Shop in Goleta) and bringing them back. Also going to grab a few bottles of Susie Q seasoning.

Any chance we could see your finished cooker would be really cool!

wallace
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02 10 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is extremely awesome, great job.

I have never seen anyone crazy enough to use all the openings in a junction box. After you put the cover on, did all the power still work? If I tried that and shut the cover it would pop a twist or two off, guaranteed.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03 10 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stetch wrote:
That is extremely awesome, great job.

I have never seen anyone crazy enough to use all the openings in a junction box. After you put the cover on, did all the power still work? If I tried that and shut the cover it would pop a twist or two off, guaranteed.

HAHA yea I was worried about that as well! I used a trick I learned from an electrician friend of mine. You grab all the wires going into 1 wire nut with a pair of large pliers and give it several twists. This way all the wires twist around one another and the wire nut goes on much better and wont pop off.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03 10 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking grill and fabulous skills ya' got there...........................with the exception of that junction box! Wink Razz
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03 10 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, very impressive from start to finish. Very Happy I love it and your attention to detail is fantastic. Awesome job on the patio area as well. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03 10 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner wrote:

HAHA yea I was worried about that as well! I used a trick I learned from an electrician friend of mine. You grab all the wires going into 1 wire nut with a pair of large pliers and give it several twists. This way all the wires twist around one another and the wire nut goes on much better and wont pop off.

Very cool, thanks for sharing that tip! I always have that problem with big timer switches popping caps in electric boxes. Maybe this will help.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are some pics of the first real cook

Some bone in chicken breasts. Marinated them in a mojo mix or oj, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce and some spicy peppers

The tri-tips have made their way to the grill. One with a little chimmy churry and the other just pretty standard rub and red wine marinade.

Everyone enjoying a beautiful warm evening.
Smoke Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build! Thanks for all the detailed pictures. You did some really fine work. I think a santa maria style is on my to do list Wink

Homemade horizontal offset
Kingsford kettle
professional warming oven converted to bradley biscuit burner (current project)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: