FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UDS exhaust stack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigMikeIA
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 11:04 am    Post subject: UDS exhaust stack Reply with quote

I have yet to put a stack on my UDS. The lid didn't have a bung, so I just drilled a 3" circle out of the middle. My question is this: will having an actual stack on the lid help with drawing air out? I don't seem to have any problem with that, but if it'll make it "better," I'm all for it. Plus, it'll help in the rain and snow, so I don't have to worry about water either getting in, or pooling on the lid and leaking in through the top after a while. This would have been a good thing to have remedied before my first overnight cook when it started to sprinkle at 11pm. This is all we could come up with on short notice:

Yes, it's a 2x4 and plastic wrap teepee. What you can't see inside is the computer-case panel bent into a V-shape tented over the exhaust. The tip for the teepee was left open for exhaust, it was actually just there to keep the majority of rain off of it so it wouldn't pool and run in through the hole onto the meat.
Liar #44

UDS
dheidemann

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be too hot for the water to collect on top?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigMikeIA, for the very reason of inclement weather I would put about a 1.5'' to 2'' stack on the lid. If you have the weather thing figured out and happy with the way she cooks then I would not worry with it. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
cvann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook in the rain without a stack. Water does not pool on the top due to evaporation (unless it was a Florida downpour). It does require more fuel to keep temp up though (oxygen and charcoal) - if it's cold and rainin' I have all three vents wide open to keep the temp near 250. Warm and sunny days only require the ball valve open.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 x 85 gallon drums, the lids are flat and do have a 2" and a 3/4" bung hole, when I built them I went with the 8 x 1/2" holes that my 55 gallon drums had and that's not enough, so I ran them with the exhaust holes open and the 2" bung hole open too.

This gives me easy control with 6 X 3/4" air intakes.

I run it in the 250 range +/- 10* with one air intake open, if I want lower I can partially close the hole with a magnet, if I want more I can always open a second hole.

I usually cook under an EZup (away from the house) or a Golfing umbrella (at the house), this means the tops of the drums don't collect much water while I'm cooking.

Good thinking out of the box for a hasty cover... were you ever a boy scout? Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
BigMikeIA
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05 10 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:

Good thinking out of the box for a hasty cover... were you ever a boy scout? Wink Laughing Wink

As a matter of fact, I'm an Eagle Scout, as are both my brothers Wink This was the second idea we had, after the first one died an unremarkable death Very Happy
Liar #44

UDS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: