FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First try at homemade sausages w/ question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbque
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 10:10 am    Post subject: First try at homemade sausages w/ question Reply with quote

So I'm finally going to give my northern tool 5# stuffer a go this Friday. The Packers have their annual "family night" this Saturday. Basically people pay outrageous prices to go watch a packers practice in Lambeau. Either way it is a great excuse to throw a pre-pre-season practice tailgate party.

I'm planning on making three different sausages in 5lbs batches each; jalapeno/cheddar brats, caraway bratwurst, and Texas hot links. These will all be made fresh on Friday night and cooked on Saturday eve. I will be cooking the sausages on the smoker at temps around 275. I might throw on the grill to brown but that is not a given as I will have a lot of other stuff on there.

Will I be safe cooking my sausages, no cure added, at that temperature?

What is the best form of jalapeno to use?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are making them fresh they will be fine with no cure needed. If you were smoking them at a very low temp yes you would need it, but no need at the temps you are using.

For japs use fresh deseeded and chop them to desired size. Have tried the canned and jar ones, but way to pickle tasting. Dried will not give you enough flavor IMO from the ones I have done. If you powder some dried ones, it is a great mix in with some fresh ones.
gbque
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Everything I figured but wanted extra reassurance. I conversed with Harry Nutczak and he basically said the same. What do you think the lowest safe temp to cook at would be ? I can run my smoker anywhere from 170 to 400. I'm going to have ABT's, chicken wings, and possibly a fattie. I figured 275 would be a good trade off.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the other items you are cooking I would try and keep it around 225.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
cowboy4life
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cook my bratwurst at 250 in the smoker all the time.

if you are using a vertical style keep in mind your cooking times on your different items so you dont have under cooked meat dripping on meat thats up to temp and ready.

i always leave room on my top rack for a lunch treat when im doing a long smoke.

#5 LIAR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: