FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opening a new restaurant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24 06 12:59 am    Post subject: opening a new restaurant Reply with quote

if anyone has plans to open a bbq restaurant i can help. i have alot of experience with opening and building restaurants from all budget levels. i also have alot of experience with bbq smoking and equipment. feel free to call to discuss

robert
614-851-0929 - 7 days
Rolling Eyes
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: opening a new restaurant Reply with quote

bigbob wrote:
if anyone has plans to open a bbq restaurant i can help. i have alot of experience with opening and building restaurants from all budget levels. i also have alot of experience with bbq smoking and equipment. feel free to call to discuss

Robert,

Thanks for the generous offer. I am planning one as I write.

I've recently moved to Europe and hoping to take REAL bbq to the locals here. My city center is very busy, some parts resembling NYC with so many people walking down the street. So my main questions revolve around the first couple of weeks/months of being in business.

How much food to prepare the first day/week, etc? Or is it better to have a soft opening and prepare a small amount and once it's gone you close shop til the next day.

When the ribs, brisket & chicken are finished smoking? What is normally done with them? Are they refrigerated and then placed on a fire grill to re-heat, an oven, or what? I can't imagine people really wanting to wait very long for a re-heat process.

What do you and others look for in a professional smoker? For budget and location reasons I am considering a "Cookshack" If successful I will likely upgrade to a Southern pride or an equivalent."

I have many more questions written down at home, but can't seem to recall while at work. Shocked

Cheers.

-Mark
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10 06 10:08 pm    Post subject: Opening new restaurant Reply with quote

We have been keeping up with SugarMedia's post here and elsewhere about his questions related to a new Poland BBQ restaurant and Bigbob post of offers to help new comers.

We feel it would be worthwhile to others desiring to venture off in a similar venture if we were kept updated on this site.
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10 06 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening new restaurant Reply with quote

Texman wrote:
We have been keeping up with SugarMedia's post here and elsewhere about his questions related to a new Poland BBQ restaurant and Bigbob post of offers to help new comers.

We feel it would be worthwhile to others desiring to venture off in a similar venture if we were kept updated on this site.

Texman, My partner & I are keeping a journal of everything we are doing and at some point will come back on here to post everything we learned and encountered should others also have the desire to open up their own place.

As the days/weeks go by we are going much more clarity on what we are doing.

Regards.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11 06 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will look forward to the posting of your information gathering and analysis. Thanks.
daryl perritt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13 06 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all BBQ fans, I may have lost my mind but recently purchased a long closed BBQ pit and vegetable stand. My intention is to rebuild/reopen the place as a take-out only BBQ joint it is in a fantastic location.

About the only thing I wish to keep is the old brick pit but want to convert it to a real smoker I have the following concerns, will this pit be able to produce sufficient quantities, consistent quality and wether my design will actually work.

The previous owner simply built a fire below the grates and closed it all in with dampers located at the flum. The space I have to work within is 5' wide X 32" deep and nearly 6 ft. high. I could build an offsett firebox and pipe the smoke in but concerned it will be VERY difficult to get temperture up high enough and require large amounts of fuel.

The other option is to build the firebox at the bottom utilizing the steel as both a heat souce and smoker.

Willing to pay for advice from someone who is experienced in this type of smoker. And yes for all you vendors out there I may eventually purchase a commercial smoker but this smoker is priority #1.

Daryl
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13 06 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl,

Good luck to you on your venture. I found these links a few months back which gives indepth details on how to build a brick pit. Perhaps you be able to look at it and study the flow of heat and smoke.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh-p1.htm

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh-p3.htm

Looking at another site which sells professional smokers you might be able to figure out how to make a relative calculation on how much you can cook based on their sizes. Here's an example.

"Work it 24 hours a day for maximum profitability.
Series 200 smoker ovens are a favorite of mid-size foodservice operations. Barbecue restaurants, meat processors, and caterers"

Shelves
6 - 24"x24" (61 x 61 cm) grills, 5" (12.7 cm) apart

Capacity
90 lb. (41kg) ribs, 200 lb. (91kg) brisket, 250 lb. (113kg) pork butt, 40 chickens per load.

If this information was helpful, feel free to PM for my bank deposit information. Very Happy
daryl perritt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13 06 4:11 am    Post subject: Polish Q Reply with quote

Hi and thanks so much will look at them and if I ever get to Poland will be looking for your place.

daryl Very Happy
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15 06 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weeks activities. Oct 8-14

I spent alot of time networking with various restaurant owners. Last night we found out that one guy who owns five local restaurants is willing to let us co-op on food purchases. This will help reduce our costs and ensure a more consistent meat quality. He's expecting to have this in place by the end of the first qtr in 2007.

He also expressed a keen interest in becoming an investor of ours. I can't help but to think that it might be a smart idea for us to consider. He has already navigated the restaurant scene with success and knows all of the local food, health and tax laws.

I have my company logo finally completed. I made two versions, one is black and white and the other is CMYK. It turned out great and my partner and I are quite happy with it. The design is simple and very distinctive. I'll be registering it with a trade office soon.

Done a little looking at websites and won't have any problems here. Some guys at my ad agency will build it for me.

I'm looking at various places around the city and trying to figure out where we want our business. We are also trying to decide on how ambitious we can safely be in regards to our restaurant size. Right now we feel very comfortable with considering a place that seats 25 people. It seems these local chinese restaurants have already managed to steal some of the hot spots around town.

Some more goood news on our smoker. We found a place online that sells it for $1,500 less than if we were to buy it in the UK. And it's a larger model. We will be ordering direct from the US and will have it shipped over. The $1500 we saved will cover shipping costs and VAT tax.

I found out my best friend is friends of another guy who owns a restaurant supply company. They handle everything from styro cups to reheat ovens, grills and 3 basin sinks. I think I smell another favorable discount coming our way.

Business plan is still a work in progress.

Next couple of weeks we will be testing various BBQ sauces to see what is favorable among our target market. So far I believe they like something similar to KC Masterpiece. We will serve two types at our place.

We are visiting about two restaurants a week and trying out their ribs and pork sandwiches. So far we will have no competition to our product. Smile

that's it for now.
daryl perritt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16 06 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of smoker did you decide on?

Daryl
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16 06 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daryl perritt wrote:
What kind of smoker did you decide on?

Daryl

Daryl-

I'm going with a CookShack. If I had outdoor space, I would seriously consider a Stumps GF 234 Combo. They burn for a very long time at a even temp. In the future, I'll switch to another maker such a Southern pride, Ole Hickory, or an Oyler. Price and various EU related certification is restricting me on these models.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21 06 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how are things going a month later Sugarmedia? sounds like an interesting venture!

One note on your comment about the option of having another partner. I have found that there is not enough profit to provide an adequate income, even with a "silent" partner. the only advantage would be if the partner actually owns a location that you could use. Even then, you are better off IMHO to rent some space, and call it your own! Very Happy
Big Mark
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21 06 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this all goes to plan...I fancy going over to Poland for a weekend so your place will be top of my list to visit!
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22 06 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN-

Things are going well. We are currently making our side recipes and refining them and measuring out how much of each spice it takes to make a given item. This will then be used for our per cost figures that go in our business plan. We've been slightly behind on our "Critical Path" if you will, because of other things going on at our current day jobs. We still though have a ton of various rubs to experiment with... and that too takes time. I just had shipped over, Paul Kirk's "175 Spices and rubs." I highly recommend this book.

We also share the concerns you mentioned of having a partner and dividing the money up with yet another person, however, we are not approaching this with the slightest amount of greed... at least not yet. The idea is to build it up fast, and consistent and create several other stores in our five year plan with also the option of creating "BBQ Express" carry out locations.

In addition, I'm currently talking to the Central Eastern European CFO of KFC. As a favor to a friend, he will look over our Business plan when complete and advise of any adjustments if needed. The corporate identity that I have made is so tight that I was told by my friend that he will put me in touch with others at KFC and perhaps we could take it big from the get go and open 20 stores. Whether or not that actually happens, who knows? Pesonally, I have no problem with being bought out early on in the game and left only as a shareholder. All options are open for now. Dream big, right?

Big Mark- would be delighted to have you visit. Perhaps we can trade some of your 12 y/o cheddar cheese for my 12 hour BBQ?

Cheers.

Last edited by SugarMedia on Wed Nov 22 06 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Mark
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22 06 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a deal mate!
Zubaydah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 06 1:25 am    Post subject: New BBQ Restaurant in Jamaica Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm Zubaydah. I recently got married and migrated to Jamaica. We are thinking of opening a Barbecue Restaurant and is in the process of preparing a Business Plan. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Take care and enjoy your day....
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 06 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, that's interesting! You emigrated from where?

I would start this as a new thread by the way............ Very Happy

The rules and laws are certainly different in Jamaica. Where in Jamaica do you plan on doing business? Most areas of Jamaica are very poor, and the economy will only support just so much. Do you know anybody there? As an outsider you may have trouble getting started. Tourist areas will probably be your best bet, and there are already established folks there. We saw quite a bit of road side food vendors and little hole-in-the-wall food places when viting a few years back.

Good luck, and keep us posted! Very Happy
SugarMedia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07 06 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... business plan is coming along nicely. Met with a restaurant supplier two days ago and he is checking to see how much it will cost for us to lease most of our kitchen items. I don't know why we thought we would have to buy all of this equipment from the get go, but I think leasing is the way to go.. at least for the first 2-3 years.

In a few months we will begin the battle between vendors and see which one will place the most hard cash in our hands to sell their items. i.e., Coke vs Pepsi. Our supplier said that he thinks we can get 40% of our start up cost covered by these type of vendor arrangements. I'm curious what others have experienced. Anyone willing to share difinitive dollar amounts?

Last edited by SugarMedia on Thu Dec 07 06 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Big Mark
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07 06 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, was wondering how things were coming along!
camdentom
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 07 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 months since last update. Any new progress?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: