FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excide battery not under warranty

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22 14 11:05 pm    Post subject: Excide battery not under warranty Reply with quote

I have a tractor that is less than 3 years old. I bought it used (from an individual) in March 2013. The previous owner had a new Excide battery installed in it in February of 2013, based on the holes punched out on the label. Long story short is the battery is dead, and the local Excide dealer won't replace it because I don't have a sales receipt. Of course I don't have a receipt and they won't replace a battery that is less than one year old without a sales receipt? What good is punching the label on the battery then?

Added to my frustration is the fact that I can't remember the persons name I bought the tractor from either to contact him to see if he might have a receipt. The fact that Excide won't replace a battery that is less than a year old ticks me off. It's not the $100 for a new one, it's the fact that their policy and their batteries sucks. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by millstream on Fri Jan 24 14 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even understand why they put those tabs on the batteries anyway. Not sure what would be the best way to do it but the last couple years I have bought batteries from auto stores as well as farm type stores. The people running the register no longer mess with them. So I can see why the company will not do something without a receipt. The battery could have been bought several years ago and the tags were never cut out, then somebody could cut it out once the battery starts to go bad. They don't want their warranty policy to depend on some teenage kid at the local autozone to utilize the date stamps.

That said they should put something in the serial number or somehow mark the manufacture date on the battery and at least honor the battery from that date if you don't have a receipt. I am certain that there is some marking on the battery somewhere that at least lets them know how old it is. Can't garauntee how long it sat on a store shelf before it was bought though.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my batteries from Sam's Club, the last two batteries I've changed out, I actually got money back on them for being inside the warranty.

So either they have cheapened down battery's over all and Sam's is just dong the sensible thing, or they are ahead of the pack!

I still work here!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you're saying, but I think the only reason for the date markings are for the mechanic and/or car owner to have a date when the battery was installed. I would think that with all the technology today they could put a serial number on them so it would be registered when it was purchased.

As a side note - I sold a fourwheeler a couple of months ago and had to buy a new battery for it. I made sure I gave the kid the receipt for the warranty.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millstream looks like your between a rock and a hard place. With that said Your orange tractor should be ok...my kubota is a 2003 and just replaced original batt. was a deka put a deka back in.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart carried Exide batteries for yrs. I bought them every two yrs. for my bassboat. They very seldom even asked for a receipt. The problem you're having is probably due to Exide going chapter 11 last yr. Still sucks...
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
Millstream looks like your between a rock and a hard place. With that said Your orange tractor should be ok...my kubota is a 2003 and just replaced original batt. was a deka put a deka back in.

Hey Maniac---It wasn't one of my Kubotas- They all have Deka batteries in them and they have been rock solid. My oldest Kubota is an L39 TLB, bought new about 10 years ago. Just turned 2000 hours last week and the battery still acts like new.

The crappy Excide battery was in a Mahindra 4035- I jumped ship last year from all Kubota and tried something different. Those Mahindra tractors are okay, but at about 70% of the cost of a Kubota, they do use cheaper parts. Anyhow, I put a new $120.00 Interstate battery in the tractor last night. All seems to be well now. Time will tell.
planecrazy29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the place the refused the warranty an Interstate dealer? I used to work for a dealer and we never had an issue if the battery was truly defective. There are date codes stamped on all batteries manufactured. If the lil circles aren't removed they go by that code. It is not necessarily an actual date, just some numbers hot-stamped into the case that can be deciphered into the manufacturing date. My suggestion would be to find another dealer and try again.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its my understanding that MOST batteries on the market today are manufactured by Johnson Control's - differences in casings and stickers is one of the major differences in most out there!
My neighbor used to build all their prototype machines in his complete machine shop in his basement directly across the street from my house!! Had to retire from it when he needed a pace maker installed....No more welding or electric machinery of any kind.
I think he told me there are only 3 manufacturers in the States, and he set-up plants for Johnson and their subsidiaries worldwide, so chances are, no matter what your battery say's on it, what it looks like, or where you bought it - its the same battery you can get at wallyworld.
He's been forced to "winter" in Florida nowadays...Must be law when you have as much cash stashed as he does at his age Shocked Shocked
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go over the dealers head + complain to the district. It always works where I work.

Mike Lawry.
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Dixon ZTR mower about 8 years ago with a Deka battery. it probably lasted 5 year which was shocking for me with the smaller batteries. I never took it out or trickle charged it over the winter. When it went bad I replaced it with another Deka and it only lasted one year. The next spring it was toast. I tried one more Deka and only got a year out of it. So the last one two years ago was from O'Reilly. So far it has been through 2 seasons and about to start on the third. Not sure if the replacement batteries that Deka sends out to retailers is the same as the one from the factory in my mower or not but they didn't last.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25 14 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably has a lot to do with how the manufacturer treats the retailer. If the guy running the store is given a difficult time with the manufacturer about replacements, he is probably going to be useless to the customer. I bought my last battery at an Auto Zone store. So far, no issues with the battery after 2 years. But if I had to go back now, I would not be surprised if I had difficulty without a receipt (which I do not have anymore). I usually buy my batteries at Sears, but that was not an option at the time. In that case, I would fully expect Sears to honor the pro-rated warranty as there is no middle man.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: