FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shop organization
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23 10 7:42 am    Post subject: Shop organization Reply with quote

I just wanted to share something I started to do in my home shop. I have been off my tools for over ten years now and to say the least I am a little rusty in all areas Laughing I always find myself wasting valuable time looking for a tool that I just used and it drives me crazy, after a few cold ones that can be multiplied by ten. I have a cutting rig as well as a welding rig that I store all associated gear together but my new favorite is the peg board mounted in the area I do most of my fab work. I can separate the grinding wheels for carbon and stainless and all my measuring tools are right there as well as my safety gear. This keeps my work bench uncluttered and have plenty of room for grinders and other hand tools. Cool thing is I don't have to bend over to pick up tools off the floor and that is quickly becoming a consideration with my age. Cool I'm curious what some others do so maybe I can copy and be a little more efficient. Smile

Here is the cutting rig

Cutting rig and welding cart partially finished

And finally my favorite.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23 10 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny, my Friend there is no way I am gonna compete with you on the looks of your shop. Laughing Very organized, a place for everything and everything in its place. Very Happy When I was fabricating oilfield trucks I worked out of a 50' x 75' three bay shop, very organized. Then when we closed the doors I brought what I could to my humble 12' x 24' home shop and the rest in storage. Need I say more. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Stacked smoker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23 10 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put wheels on everything. That way you can move out of the way or out in the middle to use it. The other thing I have found is if its heavy you can never find someone to help you move it when you need it moved. If its on wheels pronto its where and when you want it. I also make hooks on the wall to hang clamps and other misc stuff. Try and find a spot for everything and that will help. No matter what you do as you get more "good stuff" you will always be looking for something. I always put it in that one spot so I wont forget where it is. Yup I can never find it.
Lang 84 deluxe
Twin stacked reverse flow cheese smoker
Weber grill
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23 10 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 2 pegboards, quite similar to yours, Jonnyrod, as identical as possible on both sides of the shop. Some larger items are shadowboarded to assist my sometimes mentally challenged compadres in finding the tools a good home. I also run a cable for hanging my angle grinders on. My new addition hopefully will have pull cord electrical reels and air reels. I drew the line at painting my tools neon.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this thing you call "organized shop?" That is very foreign to me.
Of course, with my 3yr and 9yr old helpers, it is pretty hard to keep the tools in the shop, let alone organized.
I do like the idea of the pegboard, hadnt really thought of that at home for some reason. I know everything can be in its right place when a project starts and by the end of the build, tools are MIA.
Good thinking on the tool placement, will have to sit down and try that at home as well.

Good Post!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are some pics of my shop. It is a bit cluttered but ask me for a tool and I will get it for you. Laughing
I do all my work on this slab, I actually have three projects going on here right now.

From the outside looking in.

The big silver box is a future cooker project.

one of my tablesaws.

From the front door.

From the middle looking out.

Its not always this rough but I have been pretty swamped.

Hybrid Cooker
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I love it K.A.M. Especially the beer can chimes. Laughing No matter how hard I try I still pile up tools and dig for hours looking for them. I actually have my shop divided into two parts, one side for welding and grinding and the other for my first love.....

Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jonnyrod K.A.M., if those beer can wind don't say "Man Cave" I don't know what would. Hope you never have to move...
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn i wish my shop wasnít so dirty i would take a few pics Iíve done 2 timing belt changes on a couple VW TDIs and break changes of my truck and the wifeís cars in the last month so she is messy but i normally keep a pretty tight ship
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would really like to do is rig up a good wood burning stove. The winters are getting hard on the old bones these days ( I'm too cheap to spring for electric or gas heating). Crying or Very sad
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Johnny, that is one awesome side of the shop you have there! Very nice collection indeed!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny, those my Friend are some awesome looking bikes. Very Happy The next time Debbie and I venture off to Houston I would love to see those up close and personal. Very Happy I don't ride but I do enjoy fine looking machines and those are top notch. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Jonny, those my Friend are some awesome looking bikes. Very Happy The next time Debbie and I venture off to Houston I would love to see those up close and personal. Very Happy I don't ride but I do enjoy fine looking machines and those are top notch. Very Happy

They are only Harleys, nothing much impressive about them. Shocked

Yanking your chain JR.
Good post about being organized.
#3 LIAR
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod wrote:
The only thing I would really like to do is rig up a good wood burning stove. The winters are getting hard on the old bones these days ( I'm too cheap to spring for electric or gas heating). Crying or Very sad

Absolutely agree! I am working on one with fresh air and exhaust to be plumbed from the outside using a freebie el cheapo model vertical. Propane for the mini jet rig I have ate my lunch last winter.
As far as the organizing, I do a shop clean close to once a week, sometimes sooner but it can all go from immaculate to pig sty in a few short hours. The extension cords look like something out of family circus comic strip tracing my recent movements, I really do not remember climbing thru the saw horses but the cords and leads suggest otherwise. But having a place for everything was key to a shop clean, if it doesn't have a designated home, it will not find its way home.

Last edited by Wreckless on Mon Oct 25 10 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. anytime bud, shoot me a p.m.

Oregon Smoker, the one in the far corner is actually a 62' Triumph Trophy so they aren't all Harleys Very Happy

Only two of these are mine the rest belong to others. After 25 years of building and wrenching on the side I decided to go a little lower pressure and do something relaxing like...BBque pits. Smile

Stacked smoker, I agree with you on the wheels I built all my tables and jigs with removable wheels. I have two sets of wheels built so far with one set to go. The ones the pit are on are a little on the lame side so I am upgrading them a bit. Here are my medium duty wheels under a light fab table that is a work in progress. Smile I use 2" for the legs and weld a 6" piece of 1&1/2" to the plate the wheel is welded to. This all slides up into the 2" and can be locked down with the bolt on the 2". It has saved me a fortune in wheels and is nice not to have to depend on help moving stuff around the shop.

Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25 10 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clean shop is a sign of a sick mind.

And I'm a poster person for perfect mental health.

It takes at least 12 beers to clean my shop and I know I dont have that many so it'll have to wait til I make another beer run.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod wrote:
K.A.M. anytime bud, shoot me a p.m.

Oregon Smoker, the one in the far corner is actually a 62' Triumph Trophy so they aren't all Harleys Very Happy

Only two of these are mine the rest belong to others. After 25 years of building and wrenching on the side I decided to go a little lower pressure and do something relaxing like...BBque pits. Smile

Stacked smoker, I agree with you on the wheels I built all my tables and jigs with removable wheels. I have two sets of wheels built so far with one set to go. The ones the pit are on are a little on the lame side so I am upgrading them a bit. Here are my medium duty wheels under a light fab table that is a work in progress. Smile I use 2" for the legs and weld a 6" piece of 1&1/2" to the plate the wheel is welded to. This all slides up into the 2" and can be locked down with the bolt on the 2". It has saved me a fortune in wheels and is nice not to have to depend on help moving stuff around the shop.

I was trying to figure out what that one was. Wink
#3 LIAR
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shed is 16x32 WOOD floor, WOOD Walls....

I don't do much welding in there, except small stuff on the bench, and then I hang out forever to make sure nothing is smoldering.

Here's a pic i have with me from my "shed cam". ....put in some cameras around the place last year when some local kids were going "shed hopping" and breaking in to steal tools.

Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyronoel wrote:
My shed is 16x32 WOOD floor, WOOD Walls....

I don't do much welding in there, except small stuff on the bench, and then I hang out forever to make sure nothing is smoldering.

Here's a pic i have with me from my "shed cam". ....put in some cameras around the place last year when some local kids were going "shed hopping" and breaking in to steal tools.

Should have left the lights on and the door open and scared the chit out of em somehow.
#3 LIAR
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool security set up. Is it real time, did you set it up yourself?

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62257

'A welder is only as good as his last weld'........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: