FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Science of Pulled Pork,

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kooper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27 10 11:08 pm    Post subject: Science of Pulled Pork, Reply with quote

I made my first pulled pork on the weekend. It was really tasty but it didnt pull as easily as I had hoped. I had people over and we were getting hungry so I pulled it off at 183F which is above the safe range for pork of 170F but less than the 190F temperature of the recipe. Until 183 the temperature had risen evenly but then it got stuck at 183 for what seemed like ages. I managed to keep my temperature even at between 210 and 220F and I didnt open the top at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kooper
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27 10 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my very limited experience, I've already learned 183 isn't quite enough. I've been pulling around 190ish and have been pretty happy.

183 gives you a lot of fat/tissue still un-rendered. I did one to 200, and liked the 190 better... IMO
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27 10 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

190-195. Foil, put in an empty cooler for at least an hour, take it out and pull it.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28 10 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take my butt/shoulders off until I can twist the bone freely. Sometimes it's 190F, sometimes it's 200+ Confused Also, try running your cooker a little hotter, like 225-250F. The closer the internal temperature of the meat comes to the temperature of the cooker, the longer it's going to take to get there. You said you were running 210-220ish, it will take quite a while to get a hunk of meat to 195-200F at that temp.
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
Kooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28 10 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I am going to give it a try again.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29 10 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At approximately 160 degrees the meat starts to render the fat contained within. This transfer of fluid normally causes the temp to stall because rendering takes up energy. This stall can be for hours and is a most frustrating event. About halfway thru a stall you begin to doubt your thermometer and start poking holes around the meat hoping to find a hotter spot. As soon as a majority of the fat has begun the rendering cycle, the temp will start to rise. I like to cook pulled pork to about 190ish degrees and plan for the 10 degree bump. One way to tell that pork butt is ready is by grabbing the major bone and giving it a yank. If the meat is completely cooked, it will pull freely from the meat in one piece with no attached meat on the bone.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29 10 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien that makes good sense, thanks!

The connective tissue in the meat is still very much intact at that temp and the all the college doesn't break down into delicious gelatin until 190-200.

You just can't rush BBQ. Wink
Dick Foster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29 10 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell folks that it's just like boiling water, until the water is all vaporized to steam and gone, the pot simply can't get any hotter than 100C no matter how much heat you pore into it or how long it takes for the water to get gone.

Alien BBQ wrote:
At approximately 160 degrees the meat starts to render the fat contained within. This transfer of fluid normally causes the temp to stall because rendering takes up energy. This stall can be for hours and is a most frustrating event. About halfway thru a stall you begin to doubt your thermometer and start poking holes around the meat hoping to find a hotter spot. As soon as a majority of the fat has begun the rendering cycle, the temp will start to rise. I like to cook pulled pork to about 190ish degrees and plan for the 10 degree bump. One way to tell that pork butt is ready is by grabbing the major bone and giving it a yank. If the meat is completely cooked, it will pull freely from the meat in one piece with no attached meat on the bone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: