FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

30 or 35
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 1:04 pm    Post subject: 30 or 35 Reply with quote

With the wire welder I bought to long ago, it came with 35 wire with nozzle 35 and no 30...

I bought a 30 flux wire to be able to have a variety..

Do I have to get a 30 or can a 35 be used ??

It came with 35 and 25..
It is impossible to remain uninvolved.
Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit, Smoke King Deluxe Heavy-Duty Charcoal/Wood Smoker & Grill
Modified Charbroil
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with 30 and 35 tips.
From my one time forgetting to change them, from 35 to 30, it did not work well at all.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must use the tip for the wire used! that is where the contact is made. if not it will drive you crazy and welds will suffer..
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
you must use the tip for the wire used! that is where the contact is made. if not it will drive you crazy and welds will suffer..

+1 on Maniac's advice. They are called 'contact tips' for a reason. Use the appropriate tip for the wire size you have. Since you are new to welding, you are going to have a learning curve, and by using the right tip size, you will eliminate one of the variables when troubleshooting.
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:

+1 but keep in mind what size wire your duty cycle was rated for
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
Maniac wrote:

+1 but keep in mind what size wire your duty cycle was rated for

Say what !!

I promised myself to NOT have to learn much today.. PLEASE don't tell me I have to.. Well ok tell me why there should be a difference of wire size ..

Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit, Smoke King Deluxe Heavy-Duty Charcoal/Wood Smoker & Grill
Modified Charbroil
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacklebox wrote:
Maniac wrote:

+1 on Maniac's advice. They are called 'contact tips' for a reason. Use the appropriate tip for the wire size you have. Since you are new to welding, you are going to have a learning curve, and by using the right tip size, you will eliminate one of the variables when troubleshooting.

I got the 30 flux wire on the thought it would help for the learning curve..

I don't think to get the regulator hooked up and get gas because of the learning curve..

I can hardly wait to get this fired up but the gloves are a HUGE issue at this moment..

Modified Charbroil
Stacked smoker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just staring out and have a shielding gas set up I would start with that over flux core. This is just my .02 worth. I have found welding with a shielding gas to be much easyer than flux core. Good luck with your new toy.
Lang 84 deluxe
Twin stacked reverse flow cheese smoker
Weber grill
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are just staring out and have a shielding gas set up I would start with that over flux core. This is just my .02 worth. I have found welding with a shielding gas to be much easyer than flux core. Good luck with your new toy.

Excellent advice, flux is a PITA compared to gas.
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it came with regulator..
Modified Charbroil
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiz your welder has whats called a duty cycle i have no idea what your is it should be in your manual but lets say its 1To1 that means for every one minute that it runs it needs that same amount of time in recovery (not welding Wink )
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
Tiz your welder has whats called a duty cycle i have no idea what your is it should be in your manual but lets say its 1To1 that means for every one minute that it runs it needs that same amount of time in recovery (not welding Wink )

Or it may be listed as a percentage % Most smaller 110-120VAC Have a low duty cycle, like 20-30%. That means you can only weld for 12-18 seconds out of every minute before needing to rest the machine. You will know if you have overran the machine, as the breaker/fuse/circuit protector will pop. Wink
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://weldingsupplyusa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=297&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
Modified Charbroil
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner10 wrote:
Quote:

Excellent advice, flux is a PITA compared to gas.

Life is too short too use flux core except in the field IMHO. Wreckless and flux core just do not get along well so I am biased for sure.
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flux core by itself sucks. I had a job years ago building skid mounted pumps, compressors, and generators. We ran a .045 flux core with a gas shield. It welded just as good and pretty as lo-hy except a lot faster. I don't know why you couldn't with the same results use a smaller wire.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62257

'A welder is only as good as his last weld'........
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod wrote:
The flux core by itself sucks. I had a job years ago building skid mounted pumps, compressors, and generators. We ran a .045 flux core with a gas shield. It welded just as good and pretty as lo-hy except a lot faster. I don't know why you couldn't with the same results use a smaller wire.

That was my next question..

So what I am hearing is that by learning on flux is the backwards way of learning ???

Will I have to find a therapist and get the appointment made before I start to learn ??

Just to find some gloves is maybe getting to the point..
Modified Charbroil
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flux core wire needs to be used with shielding gas to acheive a good weld. The welding wire and puddle still need shielding while the flux is melted and begins to form it's crust. aka: slag.
I prefer to run flux core but with that being said....I think it's over kill to use flux core for a smoker. Creates more mess from the slag too.
Welds will look much better and yes you can weld faster but speed isn't important to you.
Practice, practice, practice and keep a log of your settings.

peace
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12TH AV SMOKERS wrote:
Flux core wire needs to be used with shielding gas to acheive a good weld. The welding wire and puddle still need shielding while the flux is melted and begins to form it's crust. aka: slag.

This is 100% untrue.

From Lincoln's own website: "The Self-Shielded electrodes are optimal for outdoor procedures since the flux is built into the wire for positive shielding even in windy conditions. An external shielding gas and additional equipment are not needed, so setting up is simpler, faster and easier."

And from Millers website (a little more specific):
Flux Cored Wire Basics

There are two types of flux cored wires: gas shielded and self shielded. Gas shielded flux cored wires require external shielding gas and the slag is easy to remove. The operator may want to consider using gas shielded flux cored wires when welding on thicker metals or in out-of-position applications. Gas shielded flux cored wires have a flux coating that solidifies more quickly than the molten weld material. As a result, it creates a "shelf" to hold the molten pool when welding overhead or vertically up. Self shielding flux cored wire does not require external shielding gas; the weld pool is protected by gas generated when flux from the wire is burned. As a result, self shielding flux cored wire is more portable because it does not require an external gas tank.

The only time you NEED to use shielding gas with a flux core wire is for a dual shield (self shielded flux core) application, which is used with specific wire types eg E71T-1.

As far as I am aware with both flux core and stick applications as the electrode melts some of the flux is vaporized which creates a shielded gas area around the molten puddle so that oxidation and other things can not take place. The flux then solidifies on top of the weld bead to protect the cooling weld from similar things.

The advantages of flux core over solid wire is that with the same wire diameter it will weld thicker material.

The advantages of solid wire welding is that it will weld thinner material much easier, and there is less spatter and no slag so cleanup is quicker and easier.

If you want to run shielding gas with flux core wire that does not require it you are basically just pissing money into the wind for no reason, unless as previously stated the wire you are using is meant for a dual shield application.

As for which is easier to learn.... MIG welding or gas shielded welding with solid wire is easier to learn because all you have to do is learn how to read the puddle. With flux core you have to learn how to differentiate between the actual welding puddle and the molten slag, which takes quite a bit more time to do.

Side note in case you didnt know:
Good saying to remember: If there is slag then drag. Meaning if you are welding with flux core you want to drag the puddle, If you are MIG welding with solid wire then you want to push the puddle

Also note that you need to switch the polarity on your machine when you switch between flux core and solid wire, otherwise your welds will suck and they will look like crap.
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghjkhgfd
Modified Charbroil

Last edited by tiznutbrnt on Fri Nov 05 10 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
tiznutbrnt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05 10 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ggarner"]
12TH AV SMOKERS wrote:

Side note in case you didnt know:
Good saying to remember: If there is slag then drag. Meaning if you are welding with flux core you want to drag the puddle, If you are MIG welding with solid wire then you want to push the puddle

Also note that you need to switch the polarity on your machine when you switch between flux core and solid wire, otherwise your welds will suck and they will look like crap.

I was looking to find the picture describing the push or pull of what you speak but am tired... Does anyone have a picture ??

My machine is only DC right ??
If so how would I change polarity on my machine ??

Modified Charbroil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: