FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RF vertical smoker, Finished with pics!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797: Thanks man! Hope to have her finished up this week

Ernie: Thanks a lot, She is getting so close! I have set a self imposed deadline to get it finished by friday. Hopefully that will light a fire under my ass

Gray Goat: She is a beauty. Mine is a little over a year and a half, and stubborn is for sure!

Well I decided that I want to get this build finished by weeks end so that has served to light a fire under my bumm. I have been cranking along pretty well too. Except that one stumbling point was that I burned out my drill today so I had to run out and buy a new one.

Here you can see the first side attached. This beast is so heavy now that I can no longer tip her over to do any of the welding so its vertical or bust now! HAHA. I ended up changing the spacing of my plug welds to 4" apart and that seems to be working out well

Today I got the other side cut and all the plug welds drilled, just need to weld her up in the AM and that will be finished.

I scored the top of the sheet metal and made a lip that hangs slightly over the frame. This seems to give the sheet metal a little more rigidity, and it should be easier when it comes time to weld on the roof. I scored the inside of the sheet metal and then used the persuader aka hammer to pound it flat. This was all done before welding the side to the cooker.

Here you can see what the plug welds look like after I ground them off.

I will get some pics tomorrow of how the side sheet metal wraps around the corner and is welded to the 1/2" stock. This actually went really smoothly and I welded it up with some 1/16" 6013.

This evening I got all the insulation cut for the roof, so tomorrow I hop to get all the sheet metal work done on the roof and have her all sealed up. Then all that is left is to refab the large cooker door, mount the insulation and then mount the doors.

I used a 2 3/8" hole saw to cut the opening for the 2" pipe that will feed air to the firebox. This is how I managed to burn my drill up. It was an old 3/8" drill that was a POS, and it just got pushed beyond its limits. I thought the smoke was coming from the cutting lube but when I stopped drilling I noticed that the smoke was actually coming out of the body of the drill. OOPS! The only thing that annoys me is that I have a brand new 1/2" milwaukee drill in storage... but storage is in Indiana... So I figured I could use a hammer drill since they come in handy from time to time. So now I have a new 9A dual speed hammer drill Smile
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20 11 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!!!!!
Hydro
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20 11 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! There's going to be some great Q coming off that baby!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20 11 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, you have got that thing looking sweet!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product in action......as I'm sure you are as well!
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20 11 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good, almost ready to be seasoned. What kind of paint job is it gonna get?

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62257

'A welder is only as good as his last weld'........
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21 11 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner,
The build is looking great! Wink
I would like to try to build one like yours some day! Very Happy

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
crashpilot
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21 11 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner wrote:
Soapm: The smoke travels up the back of the cooker between the rear wall and a false wall. The exhaust is extended all the way down both sides of the cooker to about 6" from the bottom of the cooking chamber. The heat from the firebox hits a 3/16" steel plate that is at a slight angle and channels the smoke up the rear of the smoker. So you get the radiant heat coming up from the bottom, and the smoke with the heat entering the cooking chamber from the top. Hope that helps clarify things.

Thanks for the explanation. I was like Soapm, I was having difficulty visualizing how a reverse flow vertical worked.
Char-Broil Red 580 gasser
22" Weber Kettle
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
zenbbqmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21 11 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good. How many hours do you think you have in her so far?
(281) 359-PITS (7487)
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21 11 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceedubya: Thanks man

Hydro:Thank you! I hope so. I have never actually cooked on a real smoker only my webber kettle!

TrailerBuilder: Thanks man! I am sort of just picking up this sheet metal working thing on the fly, luckily it seems to be going pretty well! Yea I cant wait to fire this bad boy up! Hoping to shoot for seasoning it up on Saturday and doing a cook on Sunday.

Jonnyrod: Thanks! I have 2 different ideas in mind. First I am going to polish all metal with some sanding disks and maybe some buffer and polish and see how that looks. If it makes the grade, I am planning on covering it with a clearcoat laquer. If that doesnt turn out so well I will probably go with a more traditional paint job.

Chuckied:Thank you! Its been a really fun project, even though it has take about 5x as long as i originally anticipated.

Crashpilot: No problem, glad to shine a little light on the mystery!

zenbbqmaster: Thanks! Hours invested? Ohhh boy.. a lot! Took a lot longer than originally anticipated. I would guess somewhere in the 80+ range.

Ok so here are the pics!

I mentioned that I bought hot rolled steel for my remake of the cooker door. Since i dont have any sand blaster equipment and I not about to grind anything this big I took the easy way out. I treated the sheets with hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) from the pool and watched the mill scale just dissapear

A note to anyone attempting this. Wear proper PPE. I wore a respirator (not a dust mask, a real respirator) a rubber glove and some safety glasses. Also DO NOT do this anywhere near your car, on a concrete driveway etc. The fumes given off are pure hydrochloric acid and will react with anything they come in contact with. I did it in the back of our property on wood chips where nothing bad could really happen.

Before picture

About 10 min after wiping the surface with the acid

After reapplication of acid and waiting about an hour. Almost all the mill scale was gone. I rinsed the sheets with lots of water and made sure to add a lot of water to the wood chips after I removed the sheets to dilute the acid down to acceptable levels.

One thing to note is that after rinsing off the acid the steel will start to rust immediately. To avoid this I wiped them off with a towel real quick and then heated them up with my weed burner to evaporate all the water, and then let them cool back down.

Here is the piece of sheet metal that I fabbed up for the front of the cooker to make to roof pitch etc. It is bent to attach to the 1/2" square stock and match the rest of the build.

another angle

The roof insulation is now installed and ready for the roof to go on.

Here you can see the front piece of sheet metal I made welded on and ready for the roof.

Here is the roof installed and all welded up. It went pretty smoothly and I jumped all around to different sides only welding 2-3" at a time to prevent the sheet metal from warping. After an hour of 2 of welding it was all sealed up and there was no warping at all.

Side view

A view from the rear. I had not welded up the vertical seems to join the sides to the rear so I had to do that as well

And here is the smoker pretty much all done except for the door I have to make and the installation of the 2 doors.

I still have a lot of grinding to do tomorrow to clean up all the plug welds, as well as all of the welds on seams and the roof so that it looks nice and pretty.

Tomorrow I plan on getting my door made, and hopefully getting both of them installed along with the gaskets, and then I need to make up a box to go in the firebox and I should be ready to season it up!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21 11 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, Shocked WOW I leave you alone for a while and I almost missed the first cook. Man oh Man you have made some fantastic progress. Very Happy She is looking awesome, I read through to get up to speed and I am impressed. Very nice work my Man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, I have to say k.a.m.'s WOW is an understatement. That build is looking Bad Ass! Your Santa Maria has led me to start stock piling parts in the garage, this vertical might mean I need to clean another spot for more stockpiled parts.

Very nice build my friend!
ceedubya
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is just incredible. I wish you would have built this before I started mine.... I would have stolen lots of ideas from you! Cool

I can't wait to see the firbox fabrication!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM: Thank you my man! I have been cooking right along, and hope to actually be cooking soon! HAHA

TrailerBuilder: Thanks a lot! It has been a lot of work, but a lot of fun too! HAHA, stockpiling is def the way to go. With how heavy thing thing is I am going to need a trailer just to get it into the back yard!

Ceedubya: Thank you so much for the kind words! Always welcome to steal any ideas that you like! Have not finalized my plans for the firebox yet, but my neighbor had a about 60 feet of extra 1/2" round bar left over from a project that he did so I will probably be using that in the firebox construction.

Well no pics of todays progress. I gave it my all to get it finished today, but there were just not enough hours in the day, and I hit a couple snags that ate up more time than I thought.

I got almost all the welds ground off on the cooker, and just need to do a little touchup in some spots where there were some slag inclusions. But that part went pretty well, aside from it being pretty hot today and sweating my butt off.

I got the big door cut, fabed up a new frame, welded it up and welded on 1 side of the door. Then clamped on the other side of the door and drilled the hole for the tel tru thermometer. The torque this new drill has is ridiculous! I was drilling with a 7/8" bit and it caught on the sheet metal and lifted the entire piece and the frame in the air, must weigh about 50 some odd pounds and it didnt even flinch! I could not find any 1/2" npt nuts at the HD so I bought a 1/2" pipe coupling and cut it in half on the bandsaw. But i need a small spacer because the threads get too tight before the thermometer is fully seated, so that was a little setback.

I also ran out out cut off disks for the grinder and had to run out and get some more so I didnt get a chance to cut up the old door to reuse the insulation.

Sunday is my GF's birthday so if i dont get her some presents tomorrow I am going to be in hot water! HAHA. So the build is on hold till monday when I should have time to hopefully finish it up.

I did get all the screws etc to attach the door latches and what not, and the seals for the 2 doors is just waiting to be attached, so monday or tuesday she should be ready for seasoning.

I will make sure to get pics of the last bit of the build, seasoning and all that good stuff!
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25 11 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is what she will look like once I get the door hinges welded on

At this point I am wondering if I should weld on the hinges first and then add the fiberglass door insulation, or add the insulation first and then do the hinges. Any thoughts?
OLEISLANDBOY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25 11 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ggarner,

I've been watching this build from afar and in lurking in the shadows.

First off, I'm not qualified to speak as I'm a Bona fide Newbie, however it seems to me that if you would complete the door with insulation "FIRST" then weld on the hinges and once done, its done!

My humble thoughts, Sir Rolling Eyes
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25 11 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner wrote:
At this point I am wondering if I should weld on the hinges first and then add the fiberglass door insulation, or add the insulation first and then do the hinges. Any thoughts?

At this point I am thinking you are the expert here. That all those angles etc coming together as nice as they have is some fine work. It's a beauty ggarner.
Hydro
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26 11 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I'm with Wreckless on this one...that's some fine work...you da man ggarner!
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26 11 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice piece of gear you making there ggarner...nicely done indeed. Looking forward to the maiden voyage on that puppy. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting. All the best.

--jeepdad
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28 11 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys! I didnt meet the deadline and had a bunch of other stuff going on this week but I did manage to get some stuff done before I head out of town this evening.

Oleislandboy: I am glad that you have enjoyed it enough to come out of the shadows! Hehe. I ended up putting some spacers inbetween the door and the frame and then mounting the door.

Wreckless: Thanks man! I was just wondering if anyone had done it before and had any pointers. I thought that it would be hard to get the fiberglass compressed enough if i mounted it first so I went with the other plan

Hydro: Thanks a lot! I try, all this sheet metal stuff is new to me and stick welding all of it is a pain in the butt and often times the back as well!

Jeepdad: Thank you very much! I hope that she will be finished up sometime next week and I can get her seasoned and do my first cook. Feels like there are just so many odds and ends to wrap up right now.

Here are some pics of what I got done this week:

Well no pic of this yet but I got a strip of sheet metal welded in between the firebox and the cooking chamber door so now its nice and flat! MMM much better!

Here is a picture of the doors now hinged and hanging. I used some scrap 3/16" pieces to space the door off the frame so there will be room for the fiberglass insulation. I origonally bought 1/2 insulation rope, and mounted it to the firebox but it did not compress as much as I had hoped so I ordered some 1/4" and some 5/16" so one of those should work.

Here is a picture of the smoke stack damper that I made today.

Here it is all installed

And here is a picture of how it is mounted at the back. I had my amperage too low so the welds look like crap so i need to grind them off and redo them, but I am very satisfied with how it turned out!

crashpilot
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 11 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner wrote:
Well here is what she will look like once I get the door hinges welded on

I probably shouldn't admit to being such a goober, but when I first saw this pic I had to take a closer look because I couldn't for the life of me figure out WHY you were using blue masking tape to hold your door on. Rolling Eyes
Char-Broil Red 580 gasser
22" Weber Kettle
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: