FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pull or leave whole?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceeyahd1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18 10 5:18 am    Post subject: Pull or leave whole? Reply with quote

I plan on smoking some pork and brisket for my daughters birthday party on Saturday and I want to do all the smoking on Friday, my question is: if I smoke on friday is it better to leave the pork whole and pull on Saturday or does it matter?

I have always bought the 2 piece pork butt from Costco and I noticed at Sam's club they have small pork shoulders, which ones are better for pulled pork?

Thanks
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18 10 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the flavor of the butts better than shoulder. Better texture too. JM2C on that.
Smoke it, rest it, pull it, bag it, quick chill it and put it in the fridge. Reheat to 160 the next day, if dry add some AJ to moisten it up.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18 10 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reheating will be to 165...not 160.

A butt comes from the shoulder...the shoulder just gives you more meat. If you're talking a picnic shoulder, you'll get more meat (and yield) from the butt. If you like using butts, I would suggest you stick with it.
ceeyahd1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19 10 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your help.
swilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01 11 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:

A butt comes from the shoulder...the shoulder just gives you more meat. If you're talking a picnic shoulder, you'll get more meat (and yield) from the butt. If you like using butts, I would suggest you stick with it.

Why would it matter if its reheated to 160 or 165 ? It's already been cooked so it could be eaten cold.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01 11 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swilson wrote:
Pit Boss wrote:

Why would it matter if its reheated to 160 or 165 ? It's already been cooked so it could be eaten cold.

165? Because that is what the FDA and most state health departments say to do in order to kill any present bacteria. It's a food safety issue.

I try not to get all up in a wad over following commercial food safety regulations at home, but if I was cooking for a group (at home or not) I would give it my best shot to not make them sick.
edntampa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 11 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swilson wrote:
Pit Boss wrote:

If you eat it cold , its safe as it would not be in the danger zone.

If you are re-heating it . Bacteria can grow between 41 - 140 degrees.

Taking it up to 165 will kill off any Bacteria that may have grown while re-heating thru the "Danger Zone"

Just my 2 cents
hewbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16 11 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the best practices for keeping the integrity of taste? Seems like whenever I try to cook in advance, I always get that "reheated meat" taste regardless.

I've smoked, rested, pulled and reheated in covered pans in the oven with juice and always get that taste. It's certainly edible, but doesn't have that "wow" that you get fresh out of the smoker.

I'm doing two 8lb butts this weekend for a birthday as well, and want to do it the day before, I'm just afraid of compromising the taste. I'll be serving many people and want to impress them.

Is leaving it whole and then re-heating wrapped in foil better? Any advice is appreciated.
Raine
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16 11 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it may be good, better than most, your pork will never be as good as when it is fresh. Serve it fresh if at possible.

It would be better to leave it whole and re-heat, then pull, however to cool down that solid hunk of meat, you gotta do it fairly quick, or the butt will be in the danger zone too long and spoil.
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20 11 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raine wrote:
It would be better to leave it whole and re-heat, then pull, however to cool down that solid hunk of meat, you gotta do it fairly quick, or the butt will be in the danger zone too long and spoil.

Just for that reason DO NOT leave whole. It takes too long to cool down as a whole and you are risking the lives of your family. Also, a cooled down butt will not pull well. if you want to chop or slice it may work, but it will not pull easilly.

I pull mine, take out what I'm going to serve. I put the rest into 1lb zip top bags and immerse in icewater to quick chill. After a few min in an ice bath I freeze or refridgerate. The key is to keep them out of the danger zone as much as possible (40-140 degrees).

To reheat I toss the bags in boiling water and maybe loosen with a little apple juice. Perfect every time!

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: