FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a Garage for my DPP Fat 50 - Suggestions Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loungefly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22 10 1:26 pm    Post subject: Building a Garage for my DPP Fat 50 - Suggestions Please Reply with quote

I acquired a DPP Fat 50 smoker from a fellow Smoke Ringer two years ago. I live in mid-Michigan so cold winters are an issue. I have covered my smoker with a tarp the last two winters - soon to be three. That just won't do. I have talked with my wife and we agreed to build a garage in our backyard to store the smoker.

Storage for the smoker would be the number 1 reason for building the garage. The number 2 reason for building the garage would be added room for company. My wife and I both come from very large families. We have a smaller house so it has restricted us from entertaining at our house. This garage would provide extra space to host family events and other parties.

I would love to read some suggestions from you. What features would you include if you were building a garage from the ground up?

The approximate size of the garage that I am thinking about is 30 feet by 30 feet. It would sit approximately 30 yards from the back side of our house - the back end of the garage would rest near our back property line.

One idea that I have and I am really interested to read what you think is this. I would like to be able to use my DPP Fat 50 in the garage in the winter time. In order to do that, I believe I would need some custom built retractable exhaust ducts that I could extend over the two smokestacks and then lead the smoke out of the garage. First off, I know I have to see if local fire codes allows for such thing. But assuming it is allowed, what are your thoughts?

Of course, I would love to hear other thoughts on what you think would be useful. I'm really excited about getting this project done. I wish it was next summer already. Thanks in advance for your response.

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22 10 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Garage for my DPP Fat 50 - Suggestions Please Reply with quote

loungefly wrote:
I acquired a DPP Fat 50 smoker from a fellow Smoke Ringer two years ago. I live in mid-Michigan so cold winters are an issue. I have covered my smoker with a tarp the last two winters - soon to be three. That just won't do. I have talked with my wife and we agreed to build a garage in our backyard to store the smoker.

Storage for the smoker would be the number 1 reason for building the garage. The number 2 reason for building the garage would be added room for company. My wife and I both come from very large families. We have a smaller house so it has restricted us from entertaining at our house. This garage would provide extra space to host family events and other parties.

I would love to read some suggestions from you. What features would you include if you were building a garage from the ground up?

The approximate size of the garage that I am thinking about is 30 feet by 30 feet. It would sit approximately 30 yards from the back side of our house - the back end of the garage would rest near our back property line.

One idea that I have and I am really interested to read what you think is this. I would like to be able to use my DPP Fat 50 in the garage in the winter time. In order to do that, I believe I would need some custom built retractable exhaust ducts that I could extend over the two smokestacks and then lead the smoke out of the garage. First off, I know I have to see if local fire codes allows for such thing. But assuming it is allowed, what are your thoughts?

Of course, I would love to hear other thoughts on what you think would be useful. I'm really excited about getting this project done. I wish it was next summer already. Thanks in advance for your response.

If it were me i would just leave the smoker out side under a well covered and shielded area. Then there is little to no worries about a proper hood vent system. I would build it in a manner that maybe the smoker is on the back side of the building. A full kitchen inside, along with seating area. Then another covered porch area outside.
#3 LIAR
DJW
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22 10 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion.....
The new building in your yard ....will it add to your property value or restrict its presence to a smaller audience for re-sale?

If you have 4 big events a year,why not just rent an "Event Tent" or hold your events at a local church,with a full kitchen,rent a large screen TV and besides, the plumbing is closer(you mentioned 30 yds.=90 ft).
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22 10 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar idea as OS above:

Build a two (or three) car garage that is multi-use as you want to suit your needs.

Have a covered porch off the back area for cooking complete with single size roll up garage door.

That way you can use the extra space inside when needed for parties and such, store your toys inside when needed, and provide the necessary ventilation for cooking when wanted.

Sounds like a very cool project- I'd love a playroom like that for the same reasons! Cool
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22 10 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the garage, if your county's set back rule provides enough space for it to fit without having to deal with a strange enterance & exit situation. My preference would be to build the garage and put a carport on the side for the smoker, that way its covered but there are no walls.

A cheaper way to go would be to buy a portable canopy/carport, that way your cooker is covered and if you want to cook at someone else's place your still out of the weather.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garage with a carport for your smoker and a door from the carport to the garage and a kitchen right there.on the carport I would have removable walls that screw in to the uprights made out of 1/4" ply and 2x2" frame and a set of screens to add on the two nice days of summer/skeeter days and place a garage door to pull the smoker in and out of the carport,closed when not used open when your cooking.with the wall removed also.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
JohnVan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loungefly,
I just completed a building for my smoker last month. I attached it to the back of my garage. The dimensions are 24x16. 14x16 enclosed and 10x16 open under the roof. The enclosed section has a 4 ft door so I can roll the smoker inside. It also has a 8x7 garage door to accommodate a trailer. Here's some pics.

Pit Barrel Cooker
DigiQ II
ICUE 110
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnVan wrote:
Loungefly,
I just completed a building for my smoker last month. I attached it to the back of my garage. The dimensions are 24x16. 14x16 enclosed and 10x16 open under the roof. The enclosed section has a 4 ft door so I can roll the smoker inside. It also has a 8x7 garage door to accommodate a trailer. Here's some pics.

Bingo!
#3 LIAR
loungefly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas, guys! Thank you for your input. And JohnVan, thank you for the pictures.

I'm hoping to have some of my brother in law build this garage. This thread will be great to show them.

If anyone else has any comments to share, I welcome your input. Thanks.

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to build this in the back yard I would include a small INside Out house a flat screen a beer frig and a recliner for those all night smoke sessions.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to possibly consider is which way does the prevailing wind come from? You may want to have a wind break for cooking when its cooler out. Depending on where this is you could do this a couple different ways. Having the roof of the garage extended over the planned cooking area and using the garage its self as the windbreak, or extending a wall to the edge of the covered area may also work depending on what direction it comes from.

I think you may run into some issues with codes etc if you try to have your cooker inside the garage and have the exhaust port out the roof. Granted this is similar to a potbelly stove, they probably have some sort of codes requiring you to have a certain amount of fresh air coming into the building or fire retardant insulation... who knows, some cities go crazy with this stuff.

Sounds like a great addition though! I would def have a full kitchen out there though. 220 for whatever tools you may want to run eventually, and maybe some ceiling fans for the hot humid summer days.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of the thoughts about this type of building in a neighborhood lot is how much juice you can run to the building.
Will they give a new drop from the street? Or do you have to upgrade the existing panel and run buried line out to the sub panel in the building? Both would mean permits possibly.
I would cover the kitchen area in SS for ease of cleaning and sanitary purposes. Which brings another ?, can the current lines be extended to the new building? And possibly handle the load of a large party.
#3 LIAR
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23 10 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build on a haunched slab like JohnVan did you should include a vapor barrier(6 mil poly will do) and 2" of styrofoam insulation under the slab, you will need frost protection in Michigan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: