FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas Wish List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25 10 3:31 am    Post subject: Christmas Wish List Reply with quote

Typically I load up on bowhunting/fishing gear at Christmas but when my wife asked what I wanted a couple days ago....I quickly thought...hey now is the time to get some UDS building equipment!

I have welded once...a very long time ago...which means I have little to no experience. I would like to ask for a welder.....but which kind for a begininer?

What other tools am I going to need to build a single drum UDS...with the fire pit located below the drum...not off-set. Any thoughts? Smile
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25 10 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a normal UDS the firebox is in the cooker. You don't really need any welding tools to make one, just a drill. That being said, I would go with a mig if it has been awhile since you have welded. I bought a stick last year and am still working on my bead quality, I bought a mig a week ago and am already putting down some nice beads. You also need to ask yourself what else will i use this for? do you have 220v available?

For a UDS a small 110v mig should do just fine. If you get into thicker metal stuff you will want something with more power.

Here is a thread about what tools you need.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36591
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say thicker metal.....I am thinking of using 3/16 or 1/4 inch for the firebox....would a 110v mig work for that?
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MitchnLynds wrote:
When you say thicker metal.....I am thinking of using 3/16 or 1/4 inch for the firebox....would a 110v mig work for that?

it might Confused but you have to keep in mind your duty cycle those little 110 jobs don't have much of a cycle. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. if you want to weld anything over 1/8th you might want to get a miller 180 (thats what i have) i know it seems like a lot of money up front but well worth it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: