FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holding Time In Cooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memartha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 12:02 am    Post subject: Holding Time In Cooler Reply with quote

How long CAN you keep a finished pork butt in the cooler before pulling. I need to know what the longest amount of time is, please!
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you "the longest time", but I've held butts double-wrapped in foil then towels then stuffed in a warmed cooler for four hours and had 'em come out too hot to hold with bare hands...

Cheers!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never held them longer than 3.5hrs but I know I could have gone a lot longer. The same as day_trippr said they are to hot to handle if foiled and wrapped in towels and placed in a warm cooker. As long as the pork stays above 140 your good to go. I think in a restaurant environment holding time is 4hrs. But I could be wrong.

Hybrid Cooker
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hot hold until the temp falls below 140 and THEN you have 4 hours to get it down to room temp and properly chilled.

You can hot hold at 145 indefinetly, or until it tuns to jerky, or turns to dust, whichever comes first...............................

For instance hot soup held hot is good to go until it's not so hot anymore! Razz
memartha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 12:54 am    Post subject: Cooler Time Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the quick responses. That's what I needed to know. I thought it was 3-4 hours but not sure.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26 10 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Mike. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
darylcincy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27 10 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Holding Time In Cooler/ 8 hours for me! Reply with quote

memartha wrote:
How long CAN you keep a finished pork butt in the cooler before pulling. I need to know what the longest amount of time is, please!

I've held a brisket and a pork butt together in a cooler double wraped in foil and towels for 8 hours meat was around 200 degrees when I put them in and 8 hours later they was at 145 degrees. If I would have filled the whole cooler up with towels they would have held for a longer time to 145.
UDS
Spanx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27 10 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held 2 briskets in the cooler yesterday for 6 hours and it was still above the 140 mark. That is the longest I have done yet, it probably could have gone maybe another hour or 2 but but I think 8 hours would be about max.
Big Tone
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27 10 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Holding Time In Cooler/ 8 hours for me! Reply with quote

darylcincy wrote:
memartha wrote:

I've held a brisket and a pork butt together in a cooler double wraped in foil and towels for 8 hours meat was around 200 degrees when I put them in and 8 hours later they was at 145 degrees. If I would have filled the whole cooler up with towels they would have held for a longer time to 145.

+1

I usually plan cooks starting the day before. Butts and brisket on by noon. Off 12 to 15 hrs later and into a preheated cooler (with heating pad). I have went 8 to 10 hrs and still too hot to pull without gloves. Gives me some time for a little shut eye while holding in the cooler.

I'll wait until the temp gets near 150 while in the cooler, pull/slice, and cover in a pan. Then it's in the oven (150) until meal time.
BriGreentea
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27 10 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about this because I made pulled pork for a picnic with two butts and had it double wraped in foil with towels in a cooler and went for 2 hours (thought that was too long) and they were steaming hot! I tried to pull it with some disposable gloves and was getting burned. I couldn't believe how much this technique insulates the meat. I know for brisket makes a difference but I think even after taking it out of the cooler is it better to let it air out for a little bit before cutting or slicing?
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27 10 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a black thermapen, toss it in and it will hold a perfect 175 indefinitely...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: