FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pulling salt out after curing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 8:41 am    Post subject: pulling salt out after curing Reply with quote

looking for some advice on pulling the salt out of meat after curing not a big salt flavor fan looking for what other folk do
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my Canadian bacon, I just refreshed it in a sink of cold water for a couple hours...it was still too salty. I have read on the Ring here that some people use sliced potatoes and/or potato flakes in the water, and soak it for up to six hours. I'm no expert tho, let's see what others have to say Wink
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the meat into a big container with fresh water and let it soak. Change the water every 2 hours or so if you thinks it's REALLY salty. If you think it's terribly salty use the potatoes as mentioned by Tacklebox. The potatoes work well and can be cooked afterward as well.

For the cured meats a good way to check salinity after curing or soaking is to slice a thin piece and fry up in a skillet with NOTHING else added. Taste and go from there.

Charlie
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you soak it n fresh water the water you put in will leave out. You reverse what you just did. There are ways to cure with out brining. You might try some other way to cure. But if you are brining for moisture in your meat than you may be stuck wth some of the salt flavor.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about reducing the salt in your cure? If you use Prague powder, you can reduce the salt to cure ratio as compared to TQ.

Just an idea. I've been toying with this idea for awhile. My dad really loves bacon but because of his ticker has had to switch to Canadian bacon. It's still a bit high on the sodium count, but when he was here last weekend, I turned him on to some of my homemade stuff. He loved the flavor, but it was too high in sodium for him to indulge much. Noodling the idea of making him up a bunch of it as a Christmas gift, but looking to reduce the sodium to acceptable levels without sacrificing flavor. Doesn't hurt that I can get Smithfield whole pork lions for $1.49/lb, either. You can get a lot of CB for $20 that way. Thank God for Vacuum-seal bags.

FWIW, I've been experimenting with chile peppers in my cure to add flavor without salt. Worcestershire powder too. It gives it an amazing boost in flavor outside of the salt.

Edited to correct some lousy typing. This halogen desk lamp throws a shine on my keys that kills my accuracy. Never learned how to touch type, so I look at the keyboard when I type.
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson-watch the wooster powder, the stuff at Spice Barn has salt listed as the #2 ingredient. I've actually been thinking of adding some of their beer powder to some of my next batch Very Happy
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, as that's my source for the wooster powder. I'll keep that in mind in the next batch. My problem right now is that my 30 year old Rival food slicer is about to burn the motor out. Too much use in the last year is all I can plead, Your Honor. Laughing
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys using the correct amount of TQ?
I have never had a problem with it being "to salty". I soak my cured loins for an hour, changing the water every 15 minutes. I have yet to hear any complaints from anyone that has had my CB that it's to salty.
It is one tablespoon of TQ per pound of meat. There is no need to add any additional salt to the cure.
I have seen REC post that using instant mashed taters in the rinse absorbs the most salt.
YMMV. Wink
#3 LIAR
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the TQ. Cure #1 is the only way to cure. It allows you to be in complete controll of the end flavor and does a better job curing.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use patato flakes works like a charm.
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
Are you guys using the correct amount of TQ?
I have never had a problem with it being "to salty". I soak my cured loins for an hour, changing the water every 15 minutes. I have yet to hear any complaints from anyone that has had my CB that it's to salty.
It is one tablespoon of TQ per pound of meat. There is no need to add any additional salt to the cure.
I have seen REC post that using instant mashed taters in the rinse absorbs the most salt.
YMMV. Wink

Yup...my problem was that I didn't change the water Embarassed ,I just let it soak in the sink. Guess all I was doing was re-brining it *facepalm*
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacklebox wrote:

Yup...my problem was that I didn't change the water Embarassed ,I just let it soak in the sink. Guess all I was doing was re-brining it *facepalm*

we live in BFE and we are on a septic tank. thats why i use the potato flakes soak your meat for a couple few hours bye bye salt and you don't waste any water. all you waste is potato flakes (who the fu*k eats instant potatoes anyways)
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
tacklebox wrote:

we live in BFE and we are on a septic tank. thats why i use the potato flakes soak your meat for a couple few hours bye bye salt and you don't waste any water. all you waste is potato flakes (who the fu*k eats instant potatoes anyways)

Not me.
Obviously those of you who use em to remove cure from your meat...
#3 LIAR
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30 10 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are wasting all those good potatoes for nothing (unless you eat them after):

http://blogs.chron.com/inyourkitchen/archives/2006/02/youre_wrongthe.html

Wink

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01 10 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very old and reliable trick to use potatoes to remove salt, works great if you are ever heavy handed with the salt making soup. Potato flakes seem to be the weapon of choice most often mentioned here.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01 10 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that potato helps remove the salt from things... but I'm willing to believe Teleking's Washington Post article.

Now all we need to do is actually prove it.

Why some chemist makes a mock soup and then tests it I just don't know, personally I think you would be better making real soup, and tasting it with real people, they would be able to pick the saltier or least salty in a practical fashion.e

Until that test gets done, I'll believe the cook older than I am that say potato in the soup helps, and here's my reason, oft repeated.

When I use sliced raw potato, the potato is saltier after the time in the water... if the salt didn't come from the meat and water... where did it come from?

I still work here!
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01 10 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can make salty soup taste better.

Ive made chowder with bacon that I thought was a little on the salty side, but in the end the bacon chunks were still a little on the salty side. Made the chowder taste pretty good too.

The only experiment that will ever be tried and true will be where someone makes over salted bacon, does the tater trick to half of it, sends me both halves for scientific evaluation conducted by my own personal taste test team.

PM me for a shipping address.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01 10 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
I know that potato helps remove the salt from things... but I'm willing to believe Teleking's Washington Post article.

Now all we need to do is actually prove it.

Why some chemist makes a mock soup and then tests it I just don't know, personally I think you would be better making real soup, and tasting it with real people, they would be able to pick the saltier or least salty in a practical fashion.e

Until that test gets done, I'll believe the cook older than I am that say potato in the soup helps, and here's my reason, oft repeated.

When I use sliced raw potato, the potato is saltier after the time in the water... if the salt didn't come from the meat and water... where did it come from?

because the sponge absorbed the salty water Very Happy Very Happy

You blinded me with science. SoEzzy the science is sound....ducks and runs Wink

Agree to dissagree Razz

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01 10 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i call Bull $hit I've done the experiment. i pulled my bacon out of its cure rinsed it sliced off a piece fried it it was way F N salty. i let it soak for like 6hrs in potato flakes. I sliced a piece fried it at the 3hr mark it tasted salty then tossed it back in the potato bath tried it at the 6hr mark liked it pulled it let it set and form a glaze then smoked it.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01 10 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
i call Bull $hit I've done the experiment. i pulled my bacon out of its cure rinsed it sliced off a piece fried it it was way F N salty. i let it soak for like 6hrs in potato flakes. I sliced a piece fried it at the 3hr mark it tasted salty then tossed it back in the potato bath tried it at the 6hr mark liked it pulled it let it set and form a glaze then smoked it.

Tell us how really feel... Wink
#3 LIAR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: