FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butt rub on Ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantime
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 10 4:28 am    Post subject: Butt rub on Ribs Reply with quote

I'm going to cook some butts and ribs next week. Do you normally use the same rub on both? Here is the rub I use on whole hog and butts

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

Any other suggestions for Ribs?
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 10 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be a bit much for the ribs. I usually go with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. That is usually more than enough for my tastes. Just salt and pepper is always fine too. Beside, why would you want to duplicate the flavor? Variety is the spice of life! Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 10 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't like the taste of meat? I don't see how you can taste the meat through all that...
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17 10 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rub on pork that I like on pork. The rub doesn't know if it's sitting on ribs, butts, loin, chops, or tenderloin...so it happens to taste pretty much the same on any cut of pork.

But that's just me.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18 10 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
I use the rub on pork that I like on pork. The rub doesn't know if it's sitting on ribs, butts, loin, chops, or tenderloin...so it happens to taste pretty much the same on any cut of pork.

But that's just me.

That's kinda why I don't go to hibachi restaurants. Doesn't matter if I order beef, chicken or shrimp. They all taste the same to me.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18 10 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the same or you can use different, it's all a matter of choice.

As others have said, I prefer to have more of the meat flavor coming through, so I stay away from some items in rubs.

Peppers, Black, White, Cayenne, Jalapeņo all provide heat to the mouth in different ways, and so one puts them in rubs in different proportions to produce different taste profiles.

Herbs tend to get bitter in the smoke, so I don't use them much, and when I do, I use ground herbs in small quantities.

Sugars caramelize at different temperatures and generally the mare refined they are the earlier they burn, so I tend to use Turbinado or Sugar in the Raw in my pork rubs, you can certainly use other sugars, but the more refined sugars the better off you are cooking at lower temperatures, while staying in the 225° - 250° zone, if you want to cook at much above 275° I would only use Turbinado or Raw sugar!

But at the end of the day, you do what you want with flavors and if they work for you, who are we to tell you you are wrong to use them?

For instance I don't use sugar in my Beef rubs, but I do in Pork or Chicken rubs.

I still work here!
OmahaRed

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
That might be a bit much for the ribs. I usually go with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. That is usually more than enough for my tastes. Just salt and pepper is always fine too. Beside, why would you want to duplicate the flavor? Variety is the spice of life! Smile

I'm likely to agree here. my butt rubs are a bit more complex than my rib rubs. For ribs, i used to keep equal parts of only 4 ingredients: Salt, pepper, mustard flour and paprika. recently i added 2 parts brown sugar to it *cuz everyone else was doin it Smile * and am finding i may add more in the future. Personally i think less is more with ribs, but again, do wha'ts good for you and yours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: