FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting torch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taintedplay
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 3:56 pm    Post subject: Cutting torch Reply with quote

I'm looking to possibly buy a cutting torch. What all do I need? Mostly cutting no more than .25 inch thick steel at the most.

As a side note, I do have a mapp gas torch, what's that used for?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taintedplay, the Mapp gas torch is mostly used in Soldering not cutting. I have a Victor and love it, however they are expensive to buy new. I have used a Harbor freight set up once and it cut okay, I cannot really evaluate as I only cut one piece of pipe, their tip was dirty and they had no tip cleaner. Here is a video that might help you. It is from Welding tips and tricks .com the video is not his but below it Jody has some comments.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/harbor-freight-torch.html

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks will be by here shortly with very good details such as tip size, favorite brand etc but my $.02 is...
Purchase your rig from your trusted local welding supply house. A good source will direct you towards the items that they carry on a regular basis. Off brands will be a pain when replacements are needed. Victor brand is my choice but there are others such as Forney.
Purchase or rent, whichever, oxy and gas bottles that are large enough that won't leave you high and dry on Sunday. The only gas spoilage you will find is the spoil of heading to the house early when the bottle (s) goes empty.
A rosebud tip should be included in the purchase but not entirely neccesary. I rarely use mine as I can heat most of my work just fine with a cutting tip. The rosebud tends to give me that sunday syndrome mentioned previously.
Buy a couple of strikers. They hide easily in a shop. Don't borrow your buddies bic lighter.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try looking on your local craigs list. I see complete set ups all the time for 100-300 bucks depending on how complete they are. Off the top of my head I think victor and harris are the 2 big name brands depending on what part of the country you are in. These setups usually include the oxygen tank and the acetylene tank, 2 regulators and a a variety of tips for cutting and heating materials. You may also want to consider one with a spark arrestor (think thats what its called). If you go this route go check out the setups and make sure there are no cracks in the hoses because this is very important.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think for that thickness of material you will was either a 000, or 00 tip?
taintedplay
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok my dad thinks he might have an old cutting torch, he will go look.
if he doesent, should i buy one or take my tank to a weld shop. id like to learn to use a torch, (never have used one) but i dont want to buy a cutting torch setup, not be able to do this, and then have to pay to take it to a shop. basically what im asking is how hard is it to cut with a cutting torch coming from no cutting experience?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taintedplay wrote:
ok my dad thinks he might have an old cutting torch, he will go look.
if he doesent, should i buy one or take my tank to a weld shop. id like to learn to use a torch, (never have used one) but i dont want to buy a cutting torch setup, not be able to do this, and then have to pay to take it to a shop. basically what im asking is how hard is it to cut with a cutting torch coming from no cutting experience?

It is not hard at all if you cover the basics such as lighting and adjusting the torch, etc and a general idea of what is happening in the process. A five, ten minute hands on with someone experienced should have you cutting your own steel. DO NOT forget to get the safety basics as well prior to firing it up. So if this is a one time deal, sure, take it to a shop, otherwise...Welcome to the world of fabrication. It has been described at times as somewhat dirty, hot, and sometimes strenuous activity with an emphasis on technique. So have other things in life that are highly enjoyable. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: