FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spares always come out too fatty?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazysmokin'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02 11 10:51 am    Post subject: Spares always come out too fatty? Reply with quote

In preparation for my next smoker purchase (not sure what it will be next), I've been trying a few different recipes out with spare ribs in the oven. The problem is that no matter how well I trim them, they come out extremely fatty every time. I buy high quality all natural spares from Wegmans and always trim every section of visible fat, but it never seems to make a difference. I bake them at 225-250 on an elevated rack so the fat drips away for usually 4-6 hours. What could I be doing wrong?
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02 11 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try loin back ribs or the somewhat smaller baby back ribs (from smaller pigs). Spare ribs tend to have more fat. You can't really trim it all out because it is marbled through the meat. I normally cook loin backs for that reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: