FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rockin' Restaurant, and New Member Here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CapeMaySmokehouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 13 11:42 am    Post subject: New Rockin' Restaurant, and New Member Here Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

My Names is David. I'm a Certified Executive Chef, with the ACF, who has owned my own successful restaurants for the last 25 years. I sold my last 350 seat Seafood/Chop House, 3 years ago when I got divorced.

Then I found BBQ. I've been for the last 4 years a member of KCBS, became a CBJ with my then, 17 year old son, to have a bonding experience. I've also organized 2 National BBQ Championships through KCBS in Atlantic City.

I've been Catering around the Philadelphia area for the last 3 years, mostly Weddings and Bar Mitzvah's.

I have vowed that I will not open or own any restaurant, other than a BBQ Restaurant, from now on. The food cost typically run 20%-30% on the Protein and the sides are a 300%-900% profit. Deserts are a 400%-600% up-charge. No Super Expensive Seafood, No Steaks, No Specialty Expensive Vegetables, No Coulis', Chutneys, or expensive Oils, Extracts or Sauces, nothing that you have give away free to sell your food.

No Annual Menu Revisions, following the Hottest Trends that erode your bottom line. No Linen rentals, (We use Butchers Paper), No China Rentals (we use Paper Lined Plastic Baskets), No Crystal Rentals, (we use Paper Cups or Refillable Mugs), and no Silver Service Rentals, (we use Plastic Utensils ad Paper Napkins.

So I have been looking for a place to buy to do BBQ in. I was offered a Place in first Seattle then this year outside of San Francisco.

I happened upon this place in Cape May, NJ a few weeks ago and after paying a ton of money for it and having to spend 30 grand to change the equipment around to accommodate the equipment change-over.

Now here is what I am looking for help in doing.
I need ideas?

There will be no shortage of customers, as it is in a pedestrian walking mall that is one of the highest traffic counts in the country.

If there are any other Experienced Restaurant Folks that deal with the day to day problems associated with operating a High-Volume Location, please Private Message me?

I am also looking for suggestions for Customer Comment Cards, Web Design Ideas, and Equipment needs for putting out a high volume of food.

I have already taken over a property 5 minutes off of the Island, that I will continue to operate as a Take-Out Facility and as a Commissary to prepare most of the food that will be sold at the Mall, location.

I also have to develop and bottle a line of Sauces and Rubs so looking for some directions or someone to act as a Mentor?

This past weekend the Chamber of Commerce in this city had a Chili and Chowder Cook-off adn 20 of the local restaurants were entered. I just found out and entered last week for this past Sunday. 600 people paid $5.00 a head to come in and sample the Chowders and Chili's of a bunch of Different places as well as a few Home Cooks. I won the Professional Chili Division. It was expensive to get involved and give everything away but the end result was some great PR and meeting 600 new potential customers.

By the way, there has NEVER been a BBQ Restaurant in this town and not another around for 40 miles.

However the Demographics; They are 30-50 years olds (very few families). Romantic, tons of weddings, VERY EXPENSIVE, Avg income range 100k+, Health Conscious, average to thin builds, college educated, and pet friendly.

One of 5 of the best Beaches in America, Huge Destination Wedding City, Lots of Haunted Houses, Great Summer Nightlife.

Now the big drawback, It only has 23 seats and I can't add any more, the city will not allow it. I know that traditionally BBQ is 75% Take-Out but I need to try to push that figure to the 80%-85% range to be profitable.

I also would love to get some Menu's in PDF Format of anybody that may have them or just post a link and I will get them myself.

I want to spend most of my advertising dollars in giving away T-Shirts and I am buying into a business so that I can get these as cheaply as possible. Anybody else try this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will add pic's and links as they become available.

Thank you in advance for your kindness..

David
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 13 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the ring Exclamation
our moderator is a web designer. here is the link.

http://www.soezzy.com/

Good luck
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 13 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rockin' Restaurant, and New Member Here Reply with quote

CapeMaySmokehouse wrote:
Hello Everybody,

My Names is David.

I happened upon this place in Cape May, NJ a few weeks ago and after paying a ton of money for it and having to spend 30 grand to change the equipment around to accommodate the equipment change-over.

Now here is what I am looking for help in doing.
I need ideas?

There will be no shortage of customers, as it is in a pedestrian walking mall that is one of the highest traffic counts in the country.

I am also looking for suggestions for Customer Comment Cards, Web Design Ideas, and Equipment needs for putting out a high volume of food.

I also have to develop and bottle a line of Sauces and Rubs ?

By the way, there has NEVER been a BBQ Restaurant in this town and not another around for 40 miles.

However the Demographics; They are averaged 30-50 years olds (very few families). Romantic, tons of weddings, VERY EXPENSIVE, Avg income r100k+, Health Conscious, average to thin builds, college educated, and pet friendly.

Now the big drawback, It only has 23 seats and I can't add any more, the city will not allow it. I know that traditionally BBQ is 75% Take-Out but I need to try to push that figure to the 80%-85% range to be profitable.

I also would love to get some Menu's in PDF Format of anybody that may have them or just post a link and I will get them myself.

I want to spend most of my advertising dollars in giving away T-Shirts and I am buying into a business so that I can get these as cheaply as possible. Anybody else try this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will add pic's and links as they become available.

Thank you in advance for your kindness..

David

Welcome to the ring David!

I am having a very hard time understanding how someone with 25 years experience in the restaurant/food business and having owned a 350 seat high end restaurant can purchase a business, spend 30 grand to change the equipment around to accommodate the equipment change-over and NOT have done your homework on the questions/concerns you have presented to us here BEFORE signing on that dotted line Shocked Shocked

A question I have (for you) is to make the profit you want/expect from a place that only has 23 seats (and in a mall location), with the demographics of possible patrons They are averaged 30-50 years olds (very few families). Romantic, tons of weddings, VERY EXPENSIVE, Avg income r100k+, Health Conscious, average to thin builds, college educated, and pet friendly.. WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO SIT??? Do you REALLY think the majority of your Health Conscious patrons will stop by (a mall location) for TAKE OUT BBQ??

If your questions/concerns are real, I would suggest you speak to Soezzy as previously suggested, about a website for starters.

I had Chris (Soezzy) remake my catering website to attract higher end clients and my business benefited greatly from his work.

Last question, have you even checked with your locale (city/county officials) to see if you could even operate a BBQ business from this (or either) location???...and what equipment would be required to do so (if allowed)???

I am betting a mall location would get a lot (ton) of hassle (about smoke/smells) from neighboring businesses. (mall, think tight spaces, close together)

Good luck (I truly mean that) and please keep us posted as you progress.
CapeMaySmokehouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 13 6:02 am    Post subject: Thank you there Geronimo, Reply with quote

Thank you as well for your concerns,

To address your questions. Yes, I did do my homework, with the city and merchants, before I signed the deal. The term is “Due Diligence”. I did my Due Diligence before I make any, legal or financial decision.

As to why I am asking some questions here, is easy;

Some of my best marketing campaigns have been inspired from smaller innovative restaurants.

I did come here, attempting to extend an olive branch, out to folks in the community to try to find some good ideas.

I don’t want to say that this feels, like this was an attack, but it does seem like you are scolding, not constructively criticizing.

Should I take your comments, as someone of my caliber should not be on this site? All the BBQ folks I’ve ever met are the nicest people that I know. So I thought that with my, opening a BBQ Place, I would come here? This is the place (as I understand it) to ask questions about owning and running a BBQ Restaurant, is it not?

I was hoping to hear from some of the veterans that may have actual experience, running a high-volume location doing over 500 covers a day.

I could go talk to all of my friends at the ACF but they really don’t get the whole BBQ idea. They mostly think that this is a Fad and I can’t believe that at all. Everybody Loves BBQ.

I want to start setting up a “Guest Chef Night”

The restaurant, that this Chef works out of, would promote this to their customers. I open my Smoker to them for the day and then everyone that comes in with a card of the Chef, their meal price becomes the fund. We take out 50%, for our expenses of running our place, and the remaining 50% (which would normally be my profit), go to the Charity of their choice under their and my name. This way I can write off the whole gig as a Charitable Donation.
These are the kind of ideas that I am looking for, or possibly how some folks set up their front-of-house- area, to facilitate the efficient movement of a large volume of customers through the check out process.

Are there certain POS Systems that are more BBQ Friendly? I’m used to Micro’s Digital Dining but I don’t want to dump 10 grand on that. However I have always used the reporting function to control my ordering and food costs.

Is there another board that BBQ Restaurant’s can pose questions, if this is not the right place?
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 13 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be a bit more specific about the sauce and rub? Do you have a recipe and are trying to have it commercially produced or do you need full product development? I might be able to help you do that on a consulting basis. I have quite a bit of experience in product development and bringing commercial products to market.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 13 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more experience than you probably do, I was just too busy working to participate in the club. I have been a ringer for at least a half dozen years now. The prior point being made was that you were asking basic core questions that should have been answered before a lease was signed or equipment was purchased. He was not insulting you. The failure rate, as you know, is very high in this industry due to poor due diligence. Most folks here would be happy to give you some guidance, but putting yourself on a pedestal is not a very smart way to invite the many hard working folks on this forum to spill their secrets. Just because classic BBQ doesn't use exotic ingredients, the best still requires quality ingredients. For the most part the standards are the same for BBQ restaurants as they are for fancy restaurants, we just can't charge inflated prices to compensate for expensive real estate. Folks will over pay if it's sous vide but not cured/aged and smoked. Careme and Escoffee used the same cooking techniques as I do. BBQ like many cuisines was born of the adaptation of local ingredients and means. You don't need a brigade to cook good food. BBQ is good simple food. A great chef can appreciate the quality of simplicity and you don't need a silver spoon to enjoy good food. I've worked in three star restaurants and for a former sous chef of Fredy Girardet. BBQ is a respectable challenge that most of your ACF friends would struggle to conquer, but probably wouldn't because it's beneath them. It's not as easy as you think. I would strongly suggest taking a tour of America's BBQ. Although I didn't have the means to do this when I started I still took a virtual tour to start. I didn't get to actually taste the food but I saw menus and recipes from those who set the standards that well traveled BBQ fanatics will judge you by. Your competition is found around the country. I have had customers from every state, Canada and probably 20 other countries in the past 5 years. We learn from other folks experiences here and would love to be a part of yours. It's give and take.
CapeMaySmokehouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 13 7:52 am    Post subject: As I was Saying Reply with quote

I just came here for ideas, guidance and to try to find a Mentor.

Not to get into Petty Squabbles.

I am trying to be nice, kind and polite.

I am truly sorry if I offended anybody.

Is there some other way that I should ask for help?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 13 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David please cool your jets a little.

I'm the SoEzzy referenced by Maniac and Geronimo.

If you don't think you blew in here like a rainstorm on a sunny day, you are not the guy I think you are!

But it made me look at a few things.

There are no BBQ places actually on the Cape May Island, but a Google search showed 7 or 8 BBQ restaurants, caterers and pick up points, inside the 40 mile from your first post, but that's an Internet search, not knowing the locations on knowing if they are still in business or not.

Looking at the locations for pedestrian malls, it looks like a nice area, with the Tudor style buildings, etc. I too wonder about cooking or reheating and grilling in an area such as that. Some of the more famous BBQ restaurants such as "The Blue Smoke" in NY ended up with exhaust costs around $100,000. You will find that most of the questions, statements, answers that you will get, are not there to diss you or piss you off... they are there to see if you do actually have a clue, for all your explanations in your first post, you could be anyone, and everyone else could be wasting their time and efforts even answering your question.

Without knowing more about the location, the cooking abilities at the restaurant, the fact that you are in a 23 seat restaurant, means that you will need to turn seats quickly and efficiently.

If there are trouble or woes with any of the other information, accessibility for bringing in the food from the commissary / pickup point, ability to have a smoker at the restaurant itself, etc. It will all effect the answers you get given.

If you want to cool off and read your first post, as if it came from a first time poster on a forum you had spent, 4 or 5 years on, would you take all the statements on face value, or would you question them?

Most of the sauce and rub operations I know took 2 or 3 years to develop their "taste and flavor profile", they then searched far and wide for a reliable co-packer that they could trust with their recipe, then another year or two to get it out there into the wider market.

Yet you breeze in with great ideas, asking for advice and ideas fro the regulars... if when you have taken the time to build a set of recipes in say two years time, one of these folks wandered into your restaurant, would you give them your recipes or ideas, or secrets to your success, right from the word go...probably not!

So stick around, chill out a bit, and try and go with the flow, or pack it all up, and go off in a huff or a huff and a half, and let it be said you were driven off by a couple of questions!

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22 13 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently had a "fancy" BBQ place open a couple towns down the highway...2 "executive" chef's , a $1 million dollar PLUS building, [with almost no parking], they all but gutted and re-decorated and built an all new bar etc.spending tens of thousands more] after 6 months of working on their recipe's [ while closed ]they got 2 brand new smokers [ that didnt fit in the doors] so I am assuming they had to start completely over on their recipe's and techniques as EVERY type/ brand /style etc of smoker acts completely different...They started off gangbusters, [ opening 2 or 3 months later than originally planned ]...WOULD NOT/ still DO NOT sell take out orders for fear of selling out { have no menu items where "leftovers" would work - I.E> brunswick stew, chili, specials } and it took / takes 30 min to get a meal = ZERO factory worker sales etc.
I drive by regularly - not that one can see in all the way to all the seating - but as suspected, the place looks empty - WHY?
From MY experience, cold fries that were most likely made ahead of time, mac n cheese that was seemingly made from scratch to order [ and forgot a ingredient or two] the trio sampler= beef that was 100% bark [ way overcooked] chicken that had zero smoke flavor and dry, and pork that was the only thing resembling BBQ in the place in my and many others opinion - sauces that are completely "off the wall" like nothing I had tasted before being called "BBQ" All this for just under $20.00 for my lunch that took in excess of 30 min to get to my table [ half was cold] !!! NEVER AGAIN!
I saw a few of my regulars on their way in/ my way out the day I was there - they asked and I gave them an honest reply, even said the PP was good, different than mine but OK - they now regularly post on my facebook, via my website and email how they cant wait for me to re-open [ I vend seasonally] .
I have ZERO culinary training, not a pot to piss in [ not even an outhouse near my new main vending spot], NO raunt background whatsoever - but can make BBQ that makes people smile and come back again and again -if you aint got that, you aint got a base to stand on IMHO. These 2 executive chef's with no BBQ background to speak of are my baseline for this "opinion"
They seem to have recently added Chinese to their menu...I am serious!
EVERYONE here I am confident wishes you the best - myself included as I wished for the crew I speak of.
I have sold in excess of 750 pounds of meat [ PLUS sides] in a 14 hour period without a single return or complaint. Not bragging, just fact - but I aint got $%&# on Qfanatic, Marve, Harry, Pete etc etc etc - a pedigree doenst sell BBQ, [ though many with pedigree's can and do, as many have proven here on The Ring] One either "gets it"/"has it" or he doesnt. Like the oscar mayer commercial states, just because one enjoys it, doesnt mean they can properly make it. That commercial shows me NEITHER side can make it "right"!!
I look forward to having brick and mortar someday [ maybe] and have turned to The Ringers for advice on most everything I know, just take your time - they are here to help - make friends, play nice, eventually talk some smack - LOTS of smack once your part of the family [ which you will be welcomed unless your that one guy from central WI who needs help with his muffler and neighbors...I thankfully forget his name] and there are guy's here who will LITERALLY/ PHYSICALLY stop by and hold your hand if needed - I KNOW this first hand!
The Ring is the MOST valuable kitchen tool I have, let it be yours too, just like BBQ, low and slow wins every time!!
I look forward to hearing your progress, who knows - maybe even seeing it someday!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
CapeMaySmokehouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23 13 9:48 am    Post subject: Thanks for your replies... Reply with quote

Thanks Geronimo,

I will be calling you in a few months to give me a hand. I committed to a buddy that is a really big web designer, but he is used to doing sites for music groups and I don't think he really gets the BBQ Concept. I am trying to open quickly so I am having my friend just get me something up for now, then I can fine-tune it with you or some other BBQ Web Specialist

BTW Atlantic City is actually 35 miles north of Cape May, so it is still in that 40 mile radius. Nobody that vacations on the Jersey Shore, will drive 2 blocks let alone come off a barrier island and fight traffic both ways for hours just to go to a restaurant. That is ANY Restaurant. I am not so delusional to think that people will drive miles out of their way to come to my place. I just want to capture 1/10 of 1% of the people that slowly walk past my place. The closest BBQ Place that I've heard about, but yet to find is in Wildwood, the next town north. But houses are less than 1/2 of the price of Cape May. In 1995 the entire city was put on the National Historic Registry. Some of the nicest B & B's that I've been to have been in Vermont and Cape May.

Not sure if I told you but a friend of mine, that I have known for years and has been winning a lot on the Competition Circut, is going to be supplying me with some of my Smoked Meats, at least in the begining. He uses 4 Southern Pride 1400's, and he will use my rub beforehand. I have 3 rubs that I have been perfecting over the years but they are not quite there yet. So I may just use and sell my friends things until I can get mine ready for market.

I picked up a Southern Pride DH-65 to have something small there. They will not allow a trailer'd smoker, I found that out the hard way. I don't have the room for something larger, so I need to either use our Barrel Smoker at the Commissary or I am buying it wholesale from my friends place who just became a USDA Inspected Processessing Facility. I would make less profit (about 8%), But I can open right away and serve Award Winning Q.

My Tony,

Thank you for your reply. It looks like you could teach me a thing or two. I do feel sorry for those guys that opened up and are having so much trouble. A valuable lesson that I learned early in my culinary career was that sometimes you try to sell, what no one wants to buy. I have been the person on the short end of that stick more times than I care to remember. I could just sell the typical "Jersey Shore Type Food" and not spend anything on equipment and no fighting but I really want to make this place a BBQ Restaurant. If I open and nobody wants to buy what I'm trying to sell, I may have to Re-Think my plan. For now I am going to proceed and try to hang in on these boards.

I have just found a new solution to a problem that may help some folks out there as well. When I owned my other Restaurants, I really tried to strive to build a wait. A Usual wait on a weekend night would be 30-45 minutes. To help control this we started using a Pager system fashioned to look like a coaster. I'm sure everyone knows what I am talking about. Every typical month we used to lose 2-3 of them. They wholesaled for between $60-$90 each so it was costing me 2-300 a month to maintain the amount of these pagers that we had. I have my laptop but a few months ago I got an iPad for Christmas, from my girlfriend. It is amazing and I have started to use and think it's great. I just got one for my son that just joined the National Guard, so that we could talk through "Face Time" when he is at school. Today I found a Facebook App that uses the customer's cell phone number to send them a text when either their Take-Out Order is ready or their table is ready. It doesn't do EXACTLY what I need it to do and I have now found free apps that do similar things but this one seems the best to me. it can be looked into under nowaitapp in a search engine. There is also one called WaitWire to compare it to. The only thing that I can see wrong with it is that when the App, texts the customer on their own cell phone, there is no way for the customer to text you back. If they are supposed to pick up an order and they are going to be a while we can put it in the Holding Cabinet. But if they try to reply to the text, on the customers phone, it appears to have gone through to the restaurant. However it does not receive the text. I can see some people getting upset about this fact.

Any Thoughts?

Also I have used the Alto Sham - Cook & Holds to finish off meats if the ovens were full. I've just now learned about one from "Winston Industries". Does anyone have any experience with these? I have to buy one or two of these for my place and the Cook & Holds I can pick up for 2200 used but I just found some Alto Sham - Proof & Holds. The temp does not go up as high (Like 200' is the max) but I usually set it to what my Health Inspector Orders which is now here 148', so as not to dry them out. I use a hotel pan for a water pan to not dry it out. I have read that the Winstons are better but at more than double the price, is a ton to pay for something that I don't know much about.

David
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23 13 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for your replies... Reply with quote

CapeMaySmokehouse wrote:

Also I have used the Alto Sham - Cook & Holds to finish off meats if the ovens were full. I've just now learned about one from "Winston Industries". Does anyone have any experience with these? I have to buy one or two of these for my place and the Cook & Holds I can pick up for 2200 used but I just found some Alto Sham - Proof & Holds. The temp does not go up as high (Like 200' is the max) but I usually set it to what my Health Inspector Orders which is now here 148', so as not to dry them out. I use a hotel pan for a water pan to not dry it out. I have read that the Winstons are better but at more than double the price, is a ton to pay for something that I don't know much about.

David

What you're referring to are the CVAP's from winston, they have several options such as "Hold Only" cook and hold, and Them & hold. You're gonna be pying large coin new, but well worth it.

Go to the NRA show in Chicago, all the cool stuff will be there.

Something you may want to consider, what BBQ place have you ever walked into that had no smoke in the air? No smoke aroma outside either? I think you could do better than BBQ cooked off-premise in a gas-fired pit. There are UL & NSF listed pits available that are 100% wood-fired, just get ready to pay for them, and if you want to open by summer you better get your order in and deposit paid to get one, then plan on shipping on a flatbed, and you'll also need to rent a crane (with operator) to get it in place.

If you are set on purchasing pre-cooked meats, I would consider a Winston Therm & Hold, with the auto water refill accessory.

Where does one source wood on the east coast?
We get 2 semi loads annually to keep the pits fed here, and out of those 26+ cords, about 4-5 is used for heating our home. So start nailing down reliable suppliers, cuz out of wood means out of biz for most BBQ places.

There is a bunch more to running a BBQ place compared to a regular restaurant, If you screw something up in BBQ, you are now 12-14 hours behind with no chance of catching up, you cant just comp some apps and drinks for a re-do, you're done for the day if you screw up in BBQ!

Qfanatic and myself are familiar with your style of culinary background, we've both been there, Charlie more so than I, BBQ is my first place that I can call my own. And it is more difficult than any other cuisine that I've dealt with, by a wide margin.
CapeMaySmokehouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 8:02 am    Post subject: Thank you for your reply. Reply with quote

You have raised a lot of good questions.

I will have to spend some time to investigate.

Dealing with the Health Dept and Fire Marshal next, that should be fun.

Bought a Few pieces of Equipment this week, need to buy more but I have all the equipment Cut-Sheets to submit to the; Health Department, Building Department and Fire Marshall to get approval so that I can redo my Cooking Theater. I have a 12' hood that I have to get Re-Certified and I have been told that, since I am just adding Ansul Heads for the Fire Suppression System and not actually moving anything I should be OK. It's over a grand here to discharge and recharge the Ansul System.

We are making Plans as a Company, to attend the Restaurant Show in New York City next week. Never know what you are going to find with that may Food people in one place at one time. A good place to pick up new equipment cheaper on the last day of the show from manufacturers that do not want to pay to ship the stuff back to the factory.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25 13 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the smoker on site I would take a look at the small J&R Oyler Lil Red Smokehouse. I am a huge fan of SP stick burners, but the DH65 isn't going to give you the same results. I had a 200 for a short time and opted for the Alto-shaam smoke and holds for that part of my business. As my business evolved I had a strong following for a couple of items smoked in the Alto-shaam and the results from the SP 500 didn't work. Most folks on this site don't have the money to purchase new and have found used equipment to suite their needs and their budgets. Sometimes there is no option due to timing or just availability. I didn't see any of the above mentioned anywhere used. There are a few guys on here doing real well with that unit and it will give you the smell of smoke the says your legit. I don't know what your doing with the ansil system but it is pretty simple stuff. You just unscrew the CO2 cartage, put the cap on, put it safely to the side and make your changes. I realize you have unions and fire inspectors, but if you need to save a buck you could figure it out. We have to have the unit serviced every 6 months and I have a hard time paying 350 bucks for them to replace 4 links that probably cost 5 bucks a piece. I swear I'm going to go get certified. I just closed for 2 weeks in January to turn my hood 90 degrees. I'm a hands on guy and won't easily pay someone 100 bucks an hour when I work all day for that. Many of the things you mentioned in the beginning have been discussed in earlier threads and I would suggest searching through key words. As for the coaster pagers. I purchased a set of 20 last year on ebay with a new transmitter for like for like 500.00, new was 3 or 4 times that. Anyway, unlike your old place where you were using it to alert for seating, here you will be letting folks know their food is ready, which you already have their money for, so they would be back. If takeout customers leave while they are waiting for their food that can be a problem. Check out Oklahoma Joe's menu. They have a line out the door, literally, and put the order together as you order it and hand it to you 10 feet away almost instantly. No computer printers just verbal ordering. They have maybe 40 seats in a gas station. 30 minute wait to order or call ahead and walk right up. They said call ahead was 40 minutes out.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26 13 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember BBQ is simple.all the fancy foods,sauces,coasters to call you etc.isn't really bbq.BBQ is/was simple food made by simple people,using the cheap foods no one wanted.with a 23 seat raunt I would plan on making it a take-out place with a place to sit down and eat if needed.
You say there are alot of B&B's and wedding venu's.I would make sure they all have menus in every room (make it worth the owners wild) and every event planner on the island,they will be your catering customers.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05 13 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going down the shore in the end of may will you be open?
CapeMaySmokehouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05 13 8:10 pm    Post subject: God Willing, we will be open. Reply with quote

Trying to decide between purchasing a used smoker, could use some advice.

There is a Southern Pride 700 that came out of a Casino that they want 9,000 for.

My equipment supplier found me a Southern Pride 1400 7 years old from a chain that closed a place from out west.

I would have to pay to disassemble, Palatize, Ship then re-assemble and install it.

Any ideas how much something like that should cost?

The 700 is local so no shipping, just delivery charges.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated...
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06 13 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the 700. That could be run two to four runs depending on what your cooking and will save on fuel costs if you are not running it around the clock. It's better to grow into your spot than be running a 1400 a 1/4 full. I have a total of 2-500's and a 300 and could do most of my days in one 500. We also have three chip smokers as well that we cook our spares in. It's better to grow into a 1400, you said your friend had a bunch, if your in a bind you could work with him until you can find a second smoker at a fair price.
chachahutbbq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11 13 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for your replies... Reply with quote

CapeMaySmokehouse wrote:

Not sure if I told you but a friend of mine, that I have known for years and has been winning a lot on the Competition Circut, is going to be supplying me with some of my Smoked Meats, at least in the begining. But I can open right away and serve Award Winning Q.

Not trying to be a smartass here but when your friend won those competitions, did he cook the meat in advance - cool it according to HD/USDA regs - then reheat it before sending it to the judges? If not - then his award winning technique has absolutely no bearing on the quality of meat going into your joint.

Cooking for reheat in Q takes as much skill - if possibly not more - than cooking for to pit to table. Without an understanding of what reheat will do to Q, you're going to end up with dry meat or mushy meat or grey meat or just plain old crap.

Perhaps your friend is already doing this and has dialed in the process - you do not specifically state he has - but the process of reheating to hold meat for an extended period is something you should be working on just as much as putting together than marketing plan or kitchen.

Even though we're in the NJ/NY area - there is plenty of quality Q coming straight out of smokers fresh each day. Folks in this area are getting more & more knowledge every day. Open with poor meat quality due to reheats & everything you're asking about marketing, websites & smokers will be moot.

Bushwick Grill Club
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: