FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezer Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10 11 6:51 pm    Post subject: Freezer Smoker Reply with quote

Yea, it's like a Refrigerator Smoker Laughing Laughing

I didnt want to clog up the fridge smoker thread because of a different excecution style. Tony used gas heat and a smoke generator. I want to dance with who brung me, and use the charcoal basket with lump/chunk smoke wood mix.

It has a nice interior, painted steel looks like. My thought is to strip the non removable/ adjustable shelves, replace with homade adjustable shevles. Building an insulated firebox to drop in the bottom from inside the freezer, with a lid instead of a "door". In the middle of the lid have a 6" chimney with a damper for extinguishing the fire. directly above the chimney having a flat metal plate for a heat and smoke diffuser. The firebox would have air intakes coming out the front of the firebox using black pipe nipples and brass ball valves. This would make a stand alone firebox in the bottom that I think should be reliable and effcient like a UDS but less likely to have a temp rise from opening the door of the smoker for temping, foiling or peeking. Also the freezer would have a exhaust stack thru the top with a damper for sealing it off when not in use.

Here's the big question: with this idea in mind should I be sizing my firebox using the 1/3 firebox/cooking chamber rule?? Confused

Thow out any ideas or thoughts. It's also a down the road project but I'm ready to jump in now. Thanks
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10 11 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the other project you will need to remove all the plastic, and the insulation from between the walls.

Newer units make that tough- the insulation is usually of the expanded foam type and very hard to remove.

However, it isn't compatible with heat so it needs to go......................
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10 11 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Like the other project you will need to remove all the plastic, and the insulation from between the walls.

Newer units make that tough- the insulation is usually of the expanded foam type and very hard to remove.

However, it isn't compatible with heat so it needs to go......................

X 2 What BBQMAN said, etc...

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10 11 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I had forgotten to mention is that this is a forty year old unit, so just guessing it would be of the normal fiberglass insulation type, instead of foam.
I was thinking that it would be ok even at bbq temps, but it could possibly run away while unattended and the temps climb higher and maybe get close to 400. That's something I didn't think about even after checking out Tony's build. Yup I may be dense. Thanks for the tip.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10 11 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...If the unit is forty years old (1970's?) then You can expect that the insulation is expanded foam...Good Luck with removing That! Shocked

Also, It appears that the door's interior is a plastic of some sort...

Not Good.

I would suggest an all steel unit from the 40's or early 50's...

Somethin' Ya can work with, but that's just me...YMMV. Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11 11 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dang...that stinks about the insulation likely being the expanded foam. I think I can take a peek at it to find out for sure, but you are probably correct knowing my luck. On the plastic door interior I was planning on removing that and lining door interior with sheet metal.
I had a better original post that I had addressed that but when I hit submit somehow I was no longer logged in and had to retype it. So it became slightly abbreviated. Thanks, this is why the Ring rocks! Good info.
texas q'in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11 11 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make an awesome cold smoker, with maybe a dual burner...Dont give up yet.
waterdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we are about to embark on similar projects. Have a similar freezer that just died...
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterdog wrote:
I believe we are about to embark on similar projects. Have a similar freezer that just died...

Cool!...

Let's see What 'Ya got!

There is more than one way to skin a freezer! Freezer? Shocked Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Wink
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevroletwizard.
Is it your intention to remove the refrigeration system, as in to remove the refrigerant?

Shocked (That system is likely to have either R12 or R502 refrigerant. Exposing the refrigerant to temperatures greater than lets say 120F could cause the system to rupture due to the pressure that would build up inside the refrigeration system.)
Shocked
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hvac, yes my plan was to remove the refrigerant system and basically use it as an insulated cabinet.
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hvac, yes my plan was to remove the refrigerant system and basically use it as an insulated cabinet.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to remove the expaned foam get a garden sprayer(the pump up kind)and pour rubbing alcohol in it and spray that on the foam it will melt it away.Have plastic drop cloth under the area, makes a mess.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevroletwizard wrote:

chevroletwizard...

'Mornin! About your freezer...It is a good candidate for an upright smoker due to the fact that the cabinet(minus the interior door panel) is steel.

Determination and some "sweat equity" may bring you where you need to be with this project. The toughest part will be separating the interior
shell from the rest of the cabinet to expose the insulating material.

At that point, you will be able to assess what it would take from there to
move forward to the next stage.

As texas q'in indicated," Don't give up yet!" Wink

Good Luck and keep us posted on this project! p.s.- Did you get my p.m.?

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
waterdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13 11 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took mine apart last night and ended up with 2 metal shells.. The inner shell is 48H x 27W x20D , just about right.
The insulation was just fiberglass like the bats in your house.
So, I think I need to get/do
1 - new insulation
2 - add some structure supports in bottom and sides for the inner shell to mount too - were just in there with plastic pieces and the insulation
3 - some metal to replace inside of door and to fill the gap where the inner liner had plastic between the front and the inner linner - 4-6 inches wide all the way around
4 - new hinge and door latch
5 - cut hole for exhaust - thinking of putting it low near the bottom grate, similar to the exhaust on a Backwoods, so the entire cabinet fills with smoke
6 - thinking of building a coal chute like on a Stumps
7 - might use existing racks for a while until I can build new ones - not sure yet need to check to see how they are attached and what they are made of
8 - some kind of heat diverter
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14 11 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well I took off a small access panel inside my freezer to peek behind it and saw yellow fiberglass insulation, so I also pulled the plastic door jamb trim down. Basically a sheet metal box inside another with insulation around it. Perfect. Will have to do a little trim metal work but so far it looks like a great project. On this one the inner cabinet screws to the exterior in the front opening. Now I have to do some figgerin.
chevroletwizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14 11 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While searching for high temp insulation I stumbled onto a site that has a lot of good information on it, seen it before but it just doesn't come to mind when I need it. Anyway it's engineering toolbox. Here's a page that shows temp ranges for different given insulation materials. Fiberglass shows good to 1000* http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/insulation-temperatures-d_922.html
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14 11 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not totally sure why, but for high temp insulation most people use roxul (trade name), or stone wool/mineral wool. I think they may have a higher r-vale? If you can find someone that stocks it stone wool its pretty cheap. 200 sqr foot should be about 80 bucks, you might be able to find smaller quantities too.

Maybe try and call a HVAC company and see if they will sell you what you need.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14 11 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevroletwizard wrote:
Very Happy Well I took off a small access panel inside my freezer to peek behind it and saw yellow fiberglass insulation, so I also pulled the plastic door jamb trim down. Basically a sheet metal box inside another with insulation around it. Perfect. Will have to do a little trim metal work but so far it looks like a great project. On this one the inner cabinet screws to the exterior in the front opening. Now I have to do some figgerin.

'Mornin' "Freezer Boyz!"

Good to hear Ya'll got up the Gumption to start pullin' those boxes apart...
That was the only way to find out what was in between the walls!

Now that Ya'll got the beginnings of an Awesome upright smoker,

When do We start seein' pics of what the TWO of you are up to? Laughing Wink

Good Luck and Keep Us "Posted!"

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
waterdog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15 11 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try and post some pictures this weekend. Hope to do some work on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: